Amber for Windows? - WinAmber alive? Open Source it all?

Talk about anything here.
Baak

Post by Baak »

Just checking on the status of an Amber app for Windows.

Know Melekor was working on WinAmber, but it's been a year since the last news I heard... [Last WinAmber Post]

Perhaps he or Vodi (he wrote the original Amber, right?) could Open Source the code and it could become a mini-Magma project?

OMG - you guys could whip this out in a weekend! :D

Hint - hint - hint - hint!
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

WinAmber has been superceded by Oak. Oak reuses a lot of the WinAmber code, but it is no longer windows only. The entire GUI is rendered with OpenGL and will be totally crossplatform.

The eventual goal is to make Oak The complete Myth editing tool (that is, all formats). However, collection files and models will be the main focus for now since that's obviously most important.

For the last month and a bit, I was working on updating the windows side of Myth (see this thread), but now Oak development will resume at full steam.

Oak will not be open sourced right now, but I will say this: I promise that if for any reason I am unable to continue development, Oak will be opensourced immediately.

Screenshots are forthcoming, hopefully by the end of today. I will make another post when they are up.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

All right, I managed to get a screenshot up at the site. Unfortunately it doesn't show off many of Oak's current capabilities. It's just a matter of getting some more GUI stuff ready before I can post some better ones, so that shouldn't take too long.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

I wish this sort of thing was around when I was actively making things. Who knows.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Baak

Post by Baak »

WinAmber has been superceded by Oak. Oak reuses a lot of the WinAmber code, but it is no longer windows only. The entire GUI is rendered with OpenGL and will be totally crossplatform.

The eventual goal is to make Oak The complete Myth editing tool (that is, all formats). However, collection files and models will be the main focus for now since that's obviously most important.

:: Drools ::

This is great news Melekor! :D

Would it be possible to get an "Oak Lite" (mb call it "Acorn"? :;):) that would do the collection files (including sequences, etc. - the stuff that can't be done on Windows right now) and mb models? Then the other goodies could come in later versions?

In other words, release it in "stages" since ultimately it will be somewhat large in scope. :)

I have a map I've wanted to make *forever* for which I need to have the Amber editing capability for collection files. It would also be greatly enhanced by the ability to edit models.

I (and I'm sure many others) could be beta-testers and give you some valuable feedback.

Great to hear you're still actively working on it - and thanks for posting here to let us all know! Dang, it sounds *so sweet!!!* :)
Horus

Post by Horus »

Looking at the screen I see something called a epilogue dialog.

Is that per chance the place where you set which Mesh the epilogue journal is played after?

Edited By Horus â„¢ on 1116213613
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Would it be possible to get an "Oak Lite" (mb call it "Acorn"? :;):) that would do the collection files (including sequences, etc. - the stuff that can't be done on Windows right now) and mb models? Then the other goodies could come in later versions?

That's exactly what I was planning to do Baak, release it in "stages" as I add support for more formats. But I never thought of giving each major release a cool codename like "Acorn". I love it! :D

Using your idea, here's a little roadmap for the future. One thing to keep in mind is that the ammount of work to support collections and models is probably larger than all the other formats combined.

Oak 0.25 "Acorn" (mostly a preview release, just to see if it works on everyone's computer, iron out those kinds of issues)
-archives/plugins
-local folders, archive building
-sound files (wav<->myth)
-collections(viewing only)
-models(viewing, export only)

Oak 0.5 "Sapling"
-full collection editing

Oak 0.75 "Young Oak"
-full model editing

Oak 1.0 "Patriarch"
-all other formats(but only fear-type support for meshes)

All this is tentative of course but I think this sounds like a pretty good schedule. What do you think? Also, thanks for all your words of support. Posts like yours are the ones that make me want to keep going :;):
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Looking at the screen I see something called a epilogue dialog.

Is that per chance the place where you set which Mesh the epilogue journal is played after?

The epilogue dialog tag is the dialog template for the post-game screen. The one where it displays the victory/defeat picture, shows your damage and kill ratios, has the "next level" button, etc. Oak may support dialog editing late in the game, around 1.0 (see above)

Edited By Melekor on 1116218188
Baak

Post by Baak »

I think your roadmap looks *GREAT* and I'm pleased you liked the naming idea. :)

I am extremely excited we'll *finally* be able to work with so many things previously unavailable for us PC'ers! I've been debating buying a used Mac *just* to gain access to Amber...

Do you have an "Official Oak Page" for status updates etc. other than the screenshots? Just curious. :)
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

speaking of epilogues...

Personally I hate it how in latter versions of Myth, epilogues don't play anymore. I worked long and hard when I wrote mine!
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Do you have an "Official Oak Page" for status updates etc. other than the screenshots? Just curious. :)

Not at the moment. Once I have enough content, I will replace that lame "coming soonâ„¢" page with the "Official Oak Page". Don't expect anything too fancy though, I'm not exactly a 1337 html coder. :p
Horus

Post by Horus »

William Wallet wrote:speaking of epilogues...

Personally I hate it how in latter versions of Myth, epilogues don't play anymore. I worked long and hard when I wrote mine!
The thing is if you touch 25 Soulblighter "The Forge" mesh, at all the epilogue will not play. What is the cause of that problem I do not know.

I do believe that in either 1.3.2 or 1.4 you could have it activate on whichever level was last. (ie wasn't succeeded by any other mesh).