Mazz 5 - where did it all go wrong?

Talk about anything here.
Brainbug

Post by Brainbug »

yeah but still, i prefer 1 hour of gaming, then wait 5-10 minutes and start that hour over, then around 2 hours, wait 5 to 10 minutes to then try again to beat it... and fail at it :(
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Will, the map size went from 6x6 submeshes to 9x9 submeshes. Though Photoshop can do some decent interpolation, yeah, the change did make the map more pixilated.

ozone offered to create a new colormap, which I'm sure would have really improved Mazz V, but he's been so involved with tweaking SF2 to perfection that I didn't want to pressure him. I personally don't like to be distracted with side projects either.
Archer

Post by Archer »

ChrisP wrote:Archer, all the Mazz maps are campy. Heck, every map I ever made is camp -'tis just my style to be over the top.
I don't get that feel from Mazz III or IV. 'Course, the fact that they largely stick with Myth models and unit bases, and where they don't they're just plain intimidating (Wraiths in IV, for example) is a big part of that. You had massive waves of opposition, sure, but despite your protestations to the contrary it didn't feel over-the-top.

Anyway, I'm going to try to write that review again tonight when I finish slinging some code. You may or may not agree with what it says, but hopefully it'll be helpful.

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
ozone

Post by ozone »

I have a new colormap CP....always did

if you want it let me know :P

I thought I had till end of September... ::shruggs::
do it.
Brainbug

Post by Brainbug »

would be kind of dumb to make a mazzV.3 would it :)

unless another bug pops up of course...
Ludde

Post by Ludde »

haha, I like how both the beholders and the 8-armed slutties are complete Heroes of Might and Magic-ripoffs :)
LUDDIEEIES
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I actually think that all those units came originally from Dungeons and Dragons, all those games of which ripped off from IT. Khellek was Khel's original D&D name, and part of the inspiration for Laws of Evil, if i recall properly :)
woof

Post by woof »

Ludde wrote:haha, I like how both the beholders and the 8-armed slutties are complete Heroes of Might and Magic-ripoffs :)

Actually those units are an agglomeration of ancient myths (not the game). They've been mashed, hued, and recycled thousands of times for stories, games, films, and video games. Kali, Medusa, Mike Wazowsk--they are all there in spirit.

Just because you first discovered them in HoM&M doesnt mean they havent been around a long time.

So to call them blatant rip offs is unfair. Bungie's Zerks, dwarves, shaman warlocks... none are truly original. The whole point of Myth TFL and SB was to capture a sense of mythic heros and battles and enemies in game play. And it seems to me that CP's purpose in building Mazz V was to continue that ethos while building a challenging team coop that can be replayed many many times.

I think it's hands down the best plugin ever. But thats just one person's opinion. Thanks CP and Jag and Khell and all who added to the mash--tis a really fine brew! Glad I was along for the taste tests.

Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

woof wrote:Thanks CP and Jag and Khell and all who added to the mash--tis a really fine brew! Glad I was along for the taste tests.
Those times will keep on rolling, don't worry woof ;)
Brainbug

Post by Brainbug »

arent the models from the new baddies from NWN?
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Yeah, well, NWN is basically one of the many forms of computerized D&D.
Lord Thanos

Post by Lord Thanos »

I think alot of inspiration for D&D creatures comes from mythological sources, especially East Indian, Greek and Roman mythologies. Tanar'ri are a form of jinn, which are legally accepted in many arab countries as being real beings (they even have laws governing social interactions with them!).

It seems appropriate that mythological creatures be incorporated into a game named Myth, no? It is the circumstances of their arrival that remains uncertain. Planetary alignments allowing for the opening of gateways into normally inaccessible realities is certainly a viable explanation, although it lacks in originality (most concepts these days aren't original, its just too damn hard to come up with something good that hasn't already been used). Anyhow, if that is the case, it should be mentioned in the prologue. So far as we know, Bahl'al is a Necromancer, not a Conjuror or Summoner. Perhaps Moagim showed him how to open these gateways?

As you probably already noticed, plot makes a huge difference for my enjoyment of any game. Whilst Mazzarin's Demise 5 is exceptional in terms of gameplay, it lacks in terms of logic and storyline. Therefore, I offer my services as a writer and editor, in the hopes that I might assist the Magma team in making MD even better than it already is.
Thanos A.K.A "Ravanosh"
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

"Will, the map size went from 6x6 submeshes to 9x9 submeshes. Though Photoshop can do some decent interpolation, yeah, the change did make the map more pixilated.

ozone offered to create a new colormap, which I'm sure would have really improved Mazz V, but he's been so involved with tweaking SF2 to perfection that I didn't want to pressure him. I personally don't like to be distracted with side projects either."

Aye. Thanks for the info. And as I said, it's not totally important, just a little distracting. It'd be possible to set ozone's new cmap as a separate download, wouldn't it?
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Archer

Post by Archer »

Lord Thanos wrote:It seems appropriate that mythological creatures be incorporated into a game named Myth, no?
No.

~J
Failure: when your best just isn't good enough.
Lord Thanos

Post by Lord Thanos »

Oh? Care to elaborate Archer?
Thanos A.K.A "Ravanosh"