The reason why Amber .BMP images

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Industry

Post by Industry »

is that collections store the color palette information in Little Endian.
Unkfolt

Post by Unkfolt »

What??
"Somewhere something incredible is waiting to be known."
-Carl Sagan
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

What I think he means is Amber can only import BMP files versus another format (like PICT or PNG) is because the collection files (.256 tags) keep the color palette info in Little Endian format. This post is mainly for those who may be tinkering with collection editing or programming an Amber replacement.
Industry

Post by Industry »

Uh, yes Killswitch is correct. The Topic title should read "The reason why Amber _wants only_ .BMP images" Sorry for any confusion. Anyone know if Amber version 1 is massively different from Amber version 2? I have the capability of running neither but from the Readme's and some screenshots of version 2 it looks like most of the functionality that used to live in the "Tag" menu in version 1 has been moved to buttons on sub-windows that open from invoking commands on the "Collections" menu in version 2.
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Industry wrote:Anyone know if Amber version 1 is massively different from Amber version 2? I have the capability of running neither but from the Readme's and some screenshots of version 2 it looks like most of the functionality that used to live in the "Tag" menu in version 1 has been moved to buttons on sub-windows that open from invoking commands on the "Collections" menu in version 2.

Some of the commands from Amber 1 got moved to a 'Collections' menu in Amber 2 (Extract/Export Bitmaps, Import/Export of Sprite Sheet, etc). Some of the redundant menus were just bundled into other commands. For example, in Amber 1 there's three menus: Extract Bitmap, Batch Extract, Extract Bitmaps to > BMP, raw. These got replaced with a more simple "Export Bitmaps" in Amber 2. Once you choose Export Bitmaps (in A2), you are presented with options of how to export them: export color bitmaps, alpha maps, transparency, file format (BMP, PICT, PSD) & how you want the files named.

In my opinion, Amber 2 is indeed massively different from Amber 1. Amber 1 was a very simple collection viewer that had the ability to do some rough importing/exporting. Amber 2 is a much cleaner and polished app. Not perfect, but one of the best Myth editing apps out there. If you are working on a replacement for Windows and/or OS X and need some screenshots/info, just let me know.
Industry

Post by Industry »

I am. I have these screenshots from Melekor http://www.projectmagma.net/~melekor/amber_screens/ but if you could grab screenshots of the File, Edit and Collection Pulldowns themselves it would help enormously.
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Check your email. :;):