TFL crashes; Soulblighter multi-monitor

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Outrider

Post by Outrider »

The subject line pretty much says it all. I'm running an AthlonXP 2000+ and a Radeon 9600 Pro with dual monitors. The first problem I have is related to TFL; the other is more of a comment or feature request on Soulblighter 1.5.1 (and most likely TFL 1.5 as well).

I have a virgin installation of TFL 1.3, straight off the CD, patch that to 1.5, start it up. The intro video plays, and then the game just quits without any further comment. No error message, nothing. The log doesn't say anything either:

Code: Select all

2006-04-07 20:09:46  
Myth: TFL Build 264 running under Modern Windows 5.010000 ----------------------------------------------
Using Max Resolution Size x:1280 y:1024

Mouse appears to have 3 buttons and 3 axes.

The same thing happens when I run the 1.3 Myth_TFL_old.exe. Compatibility modes haven't helped any either. Any ideas on what causes this and how I can get it to work?

The other thing is that Soulblighter (1.3 just as well as 1.5.1) doesn't play nicely with my dual monitors - as soon as I start the game, the secondary screen blanks out. I can move the mouse over there and all, but whatever was there before I opened the game has been replaced with inky blackness. This subsides when I quit the game of course; it'd just be nice if it would leave whatever's on the secondary screen alone. ;)[/color]
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I'm pretty sure dual monitors work better in windowed mode, not full screen.
I just unplg my second monitor before firing up myth.

When it's time to kill I don't bother with other apps.
You could always just alt-tab to do something else if the need arises.
CIK

Post by CIK »

I'm going to guess it's the dual monitor setup killing TFL. Try just 1 and let us know for the future.
Outrider

Post by Outrider »

Nope, turning off the second monitor didn't help. I also tried tinkering with the resolution, but that didn't take me anywhere either.

What I didn't note: this is all on Windows XP SP2, German version, video/sound/mainboard drivers current, plus all critical system updates. Although I somehow don't think that's going to help.

Is there any way to turn the logging verbosity up a few notches so there's actually information on what's going on? That may help in finding the cause of the problem.

Also, on a tangent, it's a bit silly that guest users here can post new threads but not reply to existing ones. ;)
"Hell is a pretty rotten place. Not only is it damn hot, but its inhabitants also have a rather deranged sense of humour." (R. Karsmakers)
CIK

Post by CIK »

Could it be that your system doesn't support 16bit color at those resolutions? If I remember correctly TFL will only run in 16bit color and trys to switch the system to 16bit at the current resolution.

Also try deleting the contents of the preferences folder too.
Outrider

Post by Outrider »

I manually switched to 16-bit, works fine. Also, as I said, the intro video plays, although I don't know how much of an indicator that is.

As for the preferences folder, I don't have that. :rock:
"Hell is a pretty rotten place. Not only is it damn hot, but its inhabitants also have a rather deranged sense of humour." (R. Karsmakers)
CIK

Post by CIK »

Ok that's the issue then. TFL for some reason is failing to switch the video to 16bit. Probably something I screwed up in the windows code when I put in the highrez stuff. Previous it would always force 640x480x16bits. I'll see if I can fix it, I may have to ask you to test it since I don't experience the problem on my box.
Outrider

Post by Outrider »

Wait, by "works fine" I mean that my system works fine in 16-bit. TFL still crashes when I start it with 16-bit desktop color depth.

Should've been more precise on that; sorry if I caused extra work by that :\
Likash

Post by Likash »

I have the same problem with tfl and can't find any solution.If someone has a solution to this problem please post it.
CIK

Post by CIK »

Likash could you also post your mythlog text here to see if mb your has something that might give us a lead. Also can you tell us if Myth II 1.5.x works on your system.
Likash

Post by Likash »

read the: ''can't play the campaign'' and you will find the myth_log pasted there.The update installed well, but i still can't play the game. It returns in main menu right after the first cinematic instead of starting the first scenario.
CIK

Post by CIK »

It looks like you have a corrupted install or didn't do a full install. The log file seems to indicate it is having problems reading your tag files.