Cannon Unit

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Viktor

Cannon Unit

Post by Viktor »

I've been trying to extract a cannon from both Blue and Gray, and the original Civil War mod. I seem to be getting all the tags in- collections, projectiles, objects etc., the unit appears in loathing fine, but any map I run with it crashes. Does anyone know what this problem is, how i could fix it, or where I could just download a working version of one of those cannons. I actually prefer the original one for the purposes of my project.
any ideas?
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Maybe you have got some tags, which have the same 4-letter code. For example "dwarf satchel charge" tag has "dwsc" code (first letters). Having two tags, which have the same code causes crashing. I had it problem once and it could be it.
Horus

Post by Horus »

Go back into Loathing let it crash, then look at your Myth log.

It will give you a four letter header, and a tag type. Go into the folder you got the cannon tags from, go into the clarified tag type folder, then attempt to find the tag with a name that primarily uses the header Characters.

For example

cannon ball crazy shot

that tag would be named cbcs.

The difficultly is in finding the tags which aren't four part names, but the header should still be similar to the tag name.

Once you find the mentioned Tags try loathing again. If it crashes again look again in your Myth Log. When this happens it means the new tag/s you got first time is also linked to something you missed.

Continue this cycle until Loathing works. Now if Myth refuses to let you play the map check the Myth Log again (Loathing doesn't need all the tags to let you place a unit on a map, but Myth needs them all to let you play it).
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

But here's the thing, though- It's not loathing that crashes, its myth. Like I said, the unit does appear in loathing as it should, with no problems. It doesn't seem like myth tracks it in the myth.log file, though.
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Horus has the right idea going there: let Myth crash then check the Myth.log (if it crashes in Loathing or Myth, the problem should be recorded in the log). There could be several reasons why it is crashing and your best tool to figure it out is the myth log.

If you look in the log and can't figure out what's wrong, post the log here and why can help.
Horus

Post by Horus »

I've sorted the tags out for you. You can get the B&G Cannon from HERE!
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Thank you. Now i feel like an idiot... To improve my self esteem, I'm going to try and figure it out myself, before downloading the link. I've done this kind of thing many times before, I don't know why it's having problems...
Thanks for all the help
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

For future reference, the easiest way to extract a unit from a plugin is with Chaos.
Then you don't have to worry about missing a tag.
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

Oh. So thats what Chaos is for. Excellent.
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

Chaos is an incredibly useful tool.
Click on the picture below for my Myth 2 scenario.
ozone

Post by ozone »

yes it is :D
do it.
Horus

Post by Horus »

Lugas wrote:Chaos is an incredibly useful tool.
It's what I used to extract the cannon :wink:
Point

my cwr and cwe locals are on udogs...

Post by Point »

my cwr and cwe locals are on udogs... with all the new b&g cannons and such...
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

TarousZars wrote:For future reference, the easiest way to extract a unit from a plugin is with Chaos.
Then you don't have to worry about missing a tag.
Maybe I would do that if it worked with mac os 10.1 :x
God of mapmaking
Undefeated in 1v1 mapmaking competitions
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

why the hell are you on 10.1 noob?