What's left for Myth?

Talk about anything here.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

You can give the projectiles limited lifespans, which is what I ended up doing for that particular map. If there's a better way I don't know it.
The cake is a lie.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

The fact that not many people play Myth is the most important thing raised here. And other than Mazz, most new maps don't get played by most Mythers either. If developers don't go away feeling super rewarded, its just not worth it.
Baak

Post by Baak »

Khadrelt wrote:You can give the projectiles limited lifespans, which is what I ended up doing for that particular map. If there's a better way I don't know it.
Yeah, that's the best way to do it afaik - especially for the final projectile bits of things such as "dust", "leaves", whatever that can quickly add up if you're blowing up forests and huge piles of rocks.

If there is a desire for it down the road, I imagine the developers could make the next iteration of Myth II up the specs a bit and those who can't join in would simply have to use the previous version.

In the meantime there is an awful lot of stuff that can be squeezed out of the game as-is.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Godz... you've been playing WoW? Wtf? :o
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

GodzFire wrote:I'm even being incredibly conservative there. With even that simple increase, I'm sure a whole new potential could be realized. The same goes for updating the Myth resolution interface. 640x480? There are people willing to volunteer their time to do this.
I totally agree. There's waaay too big of a gap between today's computer's average specs and those of yesteryear. It doesn't make much sense to keep Myth locked down to a "lowest common denominator." Boost those bottom numbers and I'm betting it will infuse more game play (ie more grand battles). I think it's much better than limiting the maps so little Johnny with his pre-internet hand-me-down clunker might one day, one day successfully defend the Great Library.

Also, what's interesting is Bungie has already added the high res interface graphics to Myth 2. Go ahead and open up the "international small install" tags and extract the "international Main Menu 1024x768" collection. Poke around in there and you'll see all the artwork, menus, etc in all their hi-res glory.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Killswitch wrote: I totally agree. There's waaay too big of a gap between today's computer's average specs and those of yesteryear. It doesn't make much sense to keep Myth locked down to a "lowest common denominator." Boost those bottom numbers and I'm betting it will infuse more game play (ie more grand battles). I think it's much better than limiting the maps so little Johnny with his pre-internet hand-me-down clunker might one day, one day successfully defend the Great Library.
It would be nice to have better graphics, but I don't really think making the minimum specs more in line with today's computers is going to increase the size of the player base - it's too old a game to compare visually with more recent games, even Halo (the original) which is an ancient game technologically speaking blows Myth II away. So bumping up the limits is only likely to reduce the # of players who can play the game.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Keep in mind that the only influxes we've seen in recent years is when the game is marketed in new countries, Poland being the most recent. Today's reasonably fast computer in the US or Canada is typically much more expensive - hence less common - in many other parts of the world.

Also, the minimum specs have been raised somewhat due to Project Magma's upgrades. However, speaking for the programmers, the goal has always been to show restraint by self-imposing a highly efficient cost vs feature benefit ratio.

Finally, as someone who has begged for and then gleefully filled up new limit increases, I don't think further increases can add that much more at this point. Merely being able to add Brigands and bre'Unor into the mix wouldn't exactly inspire me to work on a Mazz 7.

What's needed (in my mind) to advance the gameplay are more fundamental changes such as RPG-like unit stats, inventory and the corosponding interfaces, as well as the ability to save unit stats server side. But that, once again, turns Myth into something that is no longer Myth.

In the graphics department, however, it sure would be nice to see Melekor's detail mapping system implemented. I don't think it caused that big a performance hit but it did (from the screen shots) look like it helped make Myth more modern looking.
Autumn Demon

Post by Autumn Demon »

when dorfs drop sats, sometimes (extremely rarely), they'll explode.
wonder if that'll ever get fixed
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Autumn Demon wrote:when dorfs drop sats, sometimes (extremely rarely), they'll explode.
wonder if that'll ever get fixed
Wasn't that TFL?
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

No way Autumn, its so unbelievably rare that it shouldn't get fixed. Its just really funny when it does happen!
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
Autumn Demon

Post by Autumn Demon »

when i alt tab a lot, all the text like chat and F7 becomes unreadable... either some funky blocky colours or just no text at all. if alt tab 2-3 in a game... pressing random bottons at the top of my keyboard usually fixes this... like insert or home or F8... but upon the like 5th or more alt tab, the text'll just stay unreadable.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

i think itd be cool to see some changes with water.

swimming units? switches to swim sequence when you hit water?
models placed underwater
underwater units casts shadows on surface of water
floating body pieces/objects
different movements of water

i dunno, just a thought.

itd also be cool to have two stories of meshes (walk on and over bridge without scripting tricks like seen in the forge)
Muhammad is the most common given name in the world. Chang is the most common family name. There are, however, very few people named 'Muhammad Chang.'
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Autumn Demon wrote:when i alt tab a lot, all the text like chat and F7 becomes unreadable... either some funky blocky colours or just no text at all. if alt tab 2-3 in a game... pressing random bottons at the top of my keyboard usually fixes this... like insert or home or F8... but upon the like 5th or more alt tab, the text'll just stay unreadable.
My friend had that for ages, it randomly stopped happening someday.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

"I'm not the only one who shares this thinking either; I won't mention names to protect them, but they feel exactly the same way."

A secret society for everything these days...

"So go ahead, let's see the replies. I want to hear what comes of this. Don't worry, I have this saved just in case someone decides to delete this since it might ruffle some feathers."

Why you haven't changed your screen name to Rambo, I'm really not sure... :)
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Enculator

Post by Enculator »

Also, the minimum specs have been raised somewhat due to Project Magma's upgrades.
wrong ! it still run perfectly on my celeron 500 !