Community shrinkage

Talk about anything here.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I am nice and encourage new players for the record. I just don't have faith in it.
I don' t think those are fair estimates - we probably don't get as many new comers in 2007 as we did in 2002 or 2004. Do you have numbers perhaps for registered accounts in 2006?
You can check account registers on playmyth (if the site was up :|) and last I checked we'd had something like over 200 000. I don't know why or how.

2004 was the last year of PlayMyth.net growth. MWC was bigger than MWC03 (wheras MWC00, 01 and 03 were all smaller than the ones that came before them) and there was more tournies than any other year of the playmyth era (2002-present). A lot of players came out of retirement in 2004 just to remember Myth, then left after the MWC.

2005 was a crappy crappy year for PlayMyth.net.
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

The Elfoid wrote:2005 was a crappy crappy year for PlayMyth.net.
I must not be in tune to whatever crappy crap your carping about. For me, every year with Myth is a good Myth year. Year after year. The only downside is the shrinkage, compounded now by this inability for new and returning ppl to play because everyone's psychologically (psychotically?) stuck on pmnet. Psychos.

Be free!

and now... off to Mariusnet!
king paris

Post by king paris »

the community grew from 05 to 06, elfoid. a year is a year, it shrunk due to lack of interest and was revived with the touch of grim and wight slayer.
hey :D
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

The Elfoid wrote:I am nice and encourage new players for the record. I just don't have faith in it.
ROTFL, so yea, sorta:
Bartek found pm.net in december 2004 / january 2005 - in his first games of Myth 2 ( he never played it before ) Bart played some 1vs1 against elfoid. Bart won.

Elfoid: "FU n00b !!!"
Bart: "WTH ? F*** off !!!"

From this day Bartek has (surprisingly hehehe ) alergy on Elfo.

Bart is rather a competitive type of person and dont like "boring" situations so he would proly leave pm.net and never come back after hearing "gg" or something similliar ; ) : P

Good job : P
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

From memory, Playmyth has around 19,000 registered accounts. Bungie.net TFL had ~37,000 and Bungie.net M2 around double that.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

The Elfoid wrote:2004 was the last year of PlayMyth.net growth. MWC was bigger than MWC03 (wheras MWC00, 01 and 03 were all smaller than the ones that came before them) and there was more tournies than any other year of the playmyth era (2002-present). ...
Are you basing your statements about playmyth growth/shrinkage solely on the number of participants in MWC year to year, or on something else?
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Zappo

Post by Zappo »

Frumius wrote:... every year with Myth is a good Myth year. ...
king paris wrote:... a year is a year, ...
Very true Frumius, also very true Paris. Very true.

: )
>O< Zappo

"Hold the Line!" [TotS]
"For Honor, For Courage, For Country"
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

Are you basing your statements about playmyth growth/shrinkage solely on the number of participants in MWC year to year, or on something else?
I was giving that since it's a raw stat anyone can check if they want. I've looked at the playmyth activity graphs but they're down now (it shows players signing on per month, games played per month, etc)
king paris wrote:the community grew from 05 to 06, elfoid. a year is a year, it shrunk due to lack of interest and was revived with the touch of grim and wight slayer.
It shrunk due to a prize-free WS/Grim/Nitro-lacking MWC with an unfinished website, a final end to the post-playmyth revival of Myth (2002-2004 the community grew as more people found out about the server - the prize for MWC04 brought a lot) and Blades deciding to close ranked for 5 minutes before changing his mind. A lot of players I never saw after he did that, and he banned a lot too. Indeed 06 showed something of a revival, but I think 2005 was a bit of a watershed we'll never recover from.
Bartek found pm.net in december 2004 / january 2005 - in his first games of Myth 2 ( he never played it before ) Bart played some 1vs1 against elfoid. Bart won.

Elfoid: "FU n00b !!!"
Bart: "WTH ? F*** off !!!"

From this day Bartek has (surprisingly hehehe ) alergy on Elfo.
My sarcasm was lost in translation. I think I said 'fu noob' when Rabicanp beat me too. And all the other players (good and bad) who beat me at 1v1.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

The Elfoid wrote:
I was giving that since it's a raw stat anyone can check if they want. I've looked at the playmyth activity graphs but they're down now (it shows players signing on per month, games played per month, etc)
Ok, just to make sure I understand - you are basing your statement regarding the rate of PlayMyth's membership growth (or lack of same) on the playmyth activity graphs, NOT on the MWC statistics?

I ask because from your initial comment it sounded like you were basing your statement on the level of participation in mwcs, which may or may not be similar to the # of members of playmyth - but in your response it sounds like you are basing your statement on playmyth membership activity graphs.

Also, I am not tgrying to argue with you, I am just curious what you are basing your statements on.

By any chance do you happen to have a URL for those charts? (I know they aren't available anymore)
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

I was looking at both - since MWC participation is a greater sign of activity (shows a degree of dedication).

I can't find the graphs themselves, since the link was some long complicated postnuke one. Blades posted it on the forums a few times, and in some of his news bulletins. The ones that are all like "MYTH IS DYING WE ALL GOTTA PULL TOGETHER SO DON'T ARGUE WITH ME" (yes I know I'm simplifying it; he's not that rude and to be fair he is being honest to an extent - many people see him as the keystone to our survival). He used them as evidence of a reducing player base.

It was presented as a group of line graphs. They showed activity on TFL, vTFL, M2, M3 (ranked and unranked for both), with present position compared to that time a year ago and compared to the previous 3 months or something (I forget what the third line on it was). There was one for each year.
king paris

Post by king paris »

doesn't mean shit, it doesn't say shit about the days it went down and how long it was for. playmyth was down multiple days in 05 but not as much in 06, and it showed a real change if u paayed attention to it.

more and more ppl come back
hey :D
Arthim

Post by Arthim »

king paris wrote:doesn't mean shit, it doesn't say shit about the days it went down and how long it was for. playmyth was down multiple days in 05 but not as much in 06, and it showed a real change if u paayed attention to it.

more and more ppl come back
Are you saying that the community isn't shrinking, or just that those figures are inaccurate?
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

He is saying the figures are inaccurate. It's moot though. What does matter is now, and that in its current state the community is struggling. Another point that has already been made.

We need action. Blades seems too busy with real life to take any. Latest seems to be 2-3 more weeks (http://flyingflip.com/index.php/forums/ ... d/336/P60/). No one seems motivated for a full scale move to marius net (cough). So I think the thing to go with right now is flexibility. While clunky, and generally not a good solution, I think it is the most feasible. Check Mnet before you head over to PMnet (or even better, just stick around on Mnet). Try to get people over to mnet. Basically what frum has been telling us for the last 4 months.

Also that guy diahn over at FF seems to have a severe misunderstanding on what gameplay is and how it affects what people play. But lucky for him, he is about to get a whole ton of blow jobs (If you are confused click the link and read his post on page 5).

-DA
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

The Elfoid wrote: You can check account registers on playmyth (if the site was up :|) and last I checked we'd had something like over 200 000. I don't know why or how.
I did, and I posted them earlier in this thread - its about 60 a month including people that never played, dupes, forum accounts, etc. Thats 720 a year, including dupes, forums, etc.
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

Amadeus wrote:
The Elfoid wrote: You can check account registers on playmyth (if the site was up :|) and last I checked we'd had something like over 200 000. I don't know why or how.
I did, and I posted them earlier in this thread - its about 60 a month including people that never played, dupes, forum accounts, etc. Thats 720 a year, including dupes, forums, etc.
hehe 200 000 or rather 20 000 ;) ?

60 ? hmm maybe in 2007 only due 2 webiste downtimes etc - for sure way more druing all previous years.
"As long as a single one of us stands..."