Community shrinkage

Talk about anything here.
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

Tireces wrote:
Amadeus wrote:
The Elfoid wrote: You can check account registers on playmyth (if the site was up :|) and last I checked we'd had something like over 200 000. I don't know why or how.
I did, and I posted them earlier in this thread - its about 60 a month including people that never played, dupes, forum accounts, etc. Thats 720 a year, including dupes, forums, etc.
hehe 200 000 or rather 20 000 ;) ?

60 ? hmm maybe in 2007 only due 2 webiste downtimes etc - for sure way more druing all previous years.
Based off the last 4 months the website was up in 2007, which seems the most relevant data.
king paris

Post by king paris »

sure sure, the community is shrinking. yea we know this (or do we?), point is there is no point in discussing it. as much as it has shrunk there are still a lot of new players that play myth for hte first time each year. the community never really shrinks, the same people are always there. in theory, it is growing and all of the other ppl need to be brought back. there is no reason they can't play this game besides 1) real life shit featuring jobs, wives, kids etc and 2) because they're playing other games.

new ppl come back to myth every year, there is no reason why people shouldn't stick around.

and if u really wanna get into discussion about this then i can just list new ppl that play

hell i have given accounts away to people while waiting for playmyths return so fuck off, i'm doing my part elfoid. when the fuck have you done yours? (the galleria was nice btw)
hey :D
PrplPplEater

Post by PrplPplEater »

gotta hate Significant Shrinkage.
Perenold

Post by Perenold »

Maybe the myth community was swimming in the pool?
The Elfoid

Post by The Elfoid »

To be fair Par, I gave Myth Magical Trevor. He's so lame, anyone who's met him on playmyth feels instantly better about themselves.
Dio

Post by Dio »

Are you bashing Magical Trevor?
"The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress".
- Joseph Joubert
Nico

Post by Nico »

Well there are a few issues I can think of.

1) We should organize a communication campaign towards take2 to put m2 in freeware/abandonware/open source status, so we can distribute the M2 CDs (or rather an updated version of it containing patch 1.6 and server connections). Once this is achieved we can actively promote M2 and spread its goodness !

2) Consolidate Mnet and PMnet... I am sure this could create some sort of religious debate, but with the slim community it would be easier to bring all forces and players together. It would also be easier for the community to support more actively a single server and its services, such as account creation etc.

3) Community needs to do a serious effort welcoming newbs, and accept to tutor/share games with beginners without serving them massive aggravation or closed games with passwords. Let em find home before unleashing the smack/trash talk on them.

Three cheers for Project Magma and your fantastic work on myth... As long as you are alive there is hope !!!

Nico
Dio

Post by Dio »

Sorry. :D
Last edited by Dio on Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Joseph Joubert
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

Nico wrote:Community needs to do a serious effort welcoming newbs, and accept to tutor/share games with beginners without serving them massive aggravation or closed games with passwords. Let em find home before unleashing the smack/trash talk on them.
This I have been doing on Mariusnet a bunch recently. Sometimes painful*, it is nevertheless rewarding seeing new people getting into Myth.

Eventually, after hours of supportive playing of reg maps and a lot of Gimble, some of us couldn't take it anymore and played some TSoT :) . I start to wilt if I can only play reg maps.

At least I got to do a Frumious Wightblast on Gimble. It was an introduction for the new ppl, but came as no surprise to at least 3 of the guys, heh. It worked, tho! Ahh, talk about good times.

I've noticed that many people tend to play in the Tourney rooms. It was my understanding that guests and demo players can't see those. In case that's correct, I've been hosting in the regular rooms. I want Myth to seem populated to new people, not empty. I want them coming back.

*Omg, last night was the sloppiest game of Desert CTF I've ever played in -- In fact, it was contagious and I was sloppier than normal too, but I mean there was some serious newbage going on! But that's ok. Not all of us in the game were new, and we were supportive. Why, even I was new once -- nine years ago. I'm not one of your l337 players (compared to many of them I'm a n00b), but I saw that I was a hell of a lot more experienced than these actual newbies.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Dio wrote:It is already freeware...Burn a CD and mail it. :D
Please don't advocate software piracy.. Even if everyone you know does it, it's illegal, it's not going to help the cause of people who are trying to work with Take2 (like Magma who have permission to work on the source of Myth2), and by the way it's a violation of the terms of this forum.

Besides, when you can buy it for less than $5 USD just buy a copy from ebay or Amazon. Don't be a cheap bastard.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Dio

Post by Dio »

My post is edited. Sorry Magma.
Me being a cheap bastard Vin..well Fa-Q!
- Joseph Joubert
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

ah c'mon guys, the post topic reads "community is shrinking" don't even waste saliva fighting.
cheap bastards or whatever... fact is we are all together on the same boat

:wink:
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

carlinho wrote:ah c'mon guys, the post topic reads "community is shrinking" don't even waste saliva fighting.
cheap bastards or whatever... fact is we are all together on the same boat

Sorry, but even putting aside the issue of legality or whether it's allowed on the forums, advocating theft of software isn't the solution to the problem of the community of Myth shrinking.

With the cost of Myth 2 usually running under $5 USD I can't believe that the cost of the game is an impediment to new people playing the game. So if it's not an impediment, even if you have no personal moral issues with it, there's just no point in advocating stealing.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Dio

Post by Dio »

Well I do my part in spreading the "Myth Seed". I explained why the commumity is shinking in one of my previous posts. IMO.
- Joseph Joubert
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

vinyl, I don't advocate piracy, and your post is fine, just that I think you made your point very well before going into the cheap bastard line, so that line was needless.
all I'm saying is the better we are between ourselves in the community, the best we'll be able to continue keeping it alive.

but whatever, the least I want is you to be pissed off at me now, and by this generate what I was trying to advocate not to do...
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.