One more question

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
£N

One more question

Post by £N »

I have another question (among so many): How can I make it so that a single player map already starts out at maximum zoom? I mean zoomed out all the way. Any takers?
£N

Post by £N »

Also, I am having some difficulty understanding how to implement the Use Extended sub tags within the Monster Tag as per the fear documentation? Do I just enter a number corresponding to the category within one of the cost fields? In this instance, I want to activate Turns In a Curve, No Flinch When Healed, Chases Enemy During Attack Recovery, Extra Aggressive, and Moves to Position to Shoot Uphill, for starters. Please enlighten me, thanks!

Oh, and while we're at it, I noticed that some unit types will naturally flee while getting torn to shreds, and others will take the pain, sitting there unable or unwilling to fight back. Is there a way to change this without resorting to map actions?
vinylrake

Re: One more question

Post by vinylrake »

£N wrote:I have another question (among so many): How can I make it so that a single player map already starts out at maximum zoom? I mean zoomed out all the way. Any takers?
Before you place the observer (eyeball) for the player team, use your normal myth navigation keys to get the right starting view you want then from the tool palette (all in loathing of course) select the observer you added for the player team, then from the menu (i forget which one) select 'drop observer' don't touch any keys between positioning you view and dropping the observer or you'll screw things up.

If that isn't zoomed out enough for you, the base level of your map map be too high. e.g. if your map has an elevation range of 0 to 5 (for example) you aren't going to be able to zoom very far away. If the range is -5 to 5 or -7 to 7 you'll have a lot more freedom to zoom near or far. If your map IS set too high you would need to export your displacement map, change your elevation settings then reimport your displacement map. If you go this route BE CAREFUL AND MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF YOUR LOCAL FOLDER BEFORE YOU DO THIS. While it's a simple enough thing to do in theory, in practice there is a great deal of room for you to totally mess up your map elevation-wise. Also, if you already have water on your map I think the media height is going to be all wrong if you totally change the elevation range of your map.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
£N

Post by £N »

EDIT 2: After some late-night tinkering, I finally got it to work. Thank you. Now if you'll kindly address the rest of my questions... :twisted:
£N

Post by £N »

To reiterate some lingering questions:

1) What's the deal with Is Skitterish/Use Extended thingie? (see fear documentation re: Monster Tags)

2) How do I get my units to not run like little girlies and to face damage like a man, or to charge, even (what a novel idea!)

3) And finally, how would I be able to realistically transfer the Deceiver's Binding Dream to another unit on a solo map? (I know how to "do" it in fear)

Any help with these bad boys would be seriously appreciated !!
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

'Is Skittish' and 'Use Extended' do the same thing, only 'Is Skittish' is what you use on the Mac version of Fear in conjunction with a bunch of mystical numbers in the Cost fields of the Terrain Paremeters window - which I think there is an explanation of somewhere on this forum but I'm too lazy to look for it. :)

'Use Extended' is in the PC version of Fear and is much more straightforward- just click the boxes.

For the Binding Dream to work, there are several things to remember (after, of course, the attack is given to your unit in Fear, which you said you already know how to do).

1. Units that are immune to Confusion cannot be converted.

2. Units marked as 'undead' cannot be converted.

3. In Loathing, the convertible units must have a slot in both teams in the Units window. For example, you place 10 Myrks on Team 1 and place them on the map. Then, to make them convertible, you must also add Myrkridia on Team 0 in the Units window - but you don't have to place any of them on the map, just make sure they're listed in the Units list.
The cake is a lie.
£N

Post by £N »

Ah thank you, that makes a lot of sense.
£N

Post by £N »

Hmm, after reading up on it here, I've noticed that it leaves out some of the Use Extended tag options I was looking to use, such as Extra Aggressive, and Moves to Position to Shoot Uphill. Also, I've noticed that the only parameters used are Grass and Deser terrain slots, but I sometimes encounter pre-made units that have values in the other slots-- what am I missing here?