Bugs with 1.6 and OS X 10.5.x?

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
WaaMatt

Bugs with 1.6 and OS X 10.5.x?

Post by WaaMatt »

So, now that my friends and I have some time we're back at it with Myth II. Running 1.6 (not Universal; I'm on a G4) build 290 (or is it 390?) I noticed a strange bug that I can only fix with a restart.

OS X 10.5.1, Dual Processor 867 G4 w/ Radeon 9800 Pro and 2GB RAM. I play the game at 1600x1200 @ 60 Hz.

After quitting the game, my Dock is totally wrecked. All the icons looks like PCBs! Sort of green squares. Not just a big square - each icon is a mess of shapes and a few colors.

Also, after quitting 1.6 Universal, it hangs and then "quits unexpectedly."

Any info/ideas? The Dock icon corruption is most assuredly repeatable.

Aside from that, the game has the same awesome flaws it's had for a while. (I mean that. Some of the bugs and AI flaws make Myth II so much fun.)
Waagh!
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Hey, I know it doesn't really help much, but that has been happening to my dock as well. I found if I turn on magnification (just a little), and roll my mouse over the dock, it fixes itself (when the mouse gets to a green square, it magnifies, and goes back to the old icon). It's something anyway...

As for the universal, since you are running a PPC, just running regular is fine, no need to run Universal (though I s'pose it should work).

Any insight Myrd?

-DA
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Sounds like Leopard bugs. We'll see if 10.5.2 changes anything, and if not, I can send some reports to Apple.

An app shouldn't be able to mess up another app like the Dock. Also, though I haven't ran Myth on Leopard that much - I can say that I haven't noticed said bugs. So perhaps its a PPC problem, or a problem on computers with low(er) video memory.
TarousZars
Site Admin

Re: Bugs with 1.6 and OS X 10.5.x?

Post by TarousZars »

WaaMatt wrote:So, now that my friends and I have some time we're back at it with Myth II. Running 1.6 (not Universal; I'm on a G4) build 290 (or is it 390?) I noticed a strange bug that I can only fix with a restart.

OS X 10.5.1, Dual Processor 867 G4 w/ Radeon 9800 Pro and 2GB RAM. I play the game at 1600x1200 @ 60 Hz.

After quitting the game, my Dock is totally wrecked. All the icons looks like PCBs! Sort of green squares. Not just a big square - each icon is a mess of shapes and a few colors.

Also, after quitting 1.6 Universal, it hangs and then "quits unexpectedly."

Any info/ideas? The Dock icon corruption is most assuredly repeatable.

Aside from that, the game has the same awesome flaws it's had for a while. (I mean that. Some of the bugs and AI flaws make Myth II so much fun.)
I've never seen the dock have weird bugs, but I run the dock on the side. Maybe that makes a difference.

Since upgrading to leopard myth always crashes on quit for me.
WaaMatt

Post by WaaMatt »

Myth does not crash on quit for me if I use 1.6 (not the Universal binary version).

Also, my 9800 Pro has 256MB of VRAM. For what it's worth, I cap frame rate at 30. (Really, it shouldn't need more, right?)

I'll try the magnification thing next time. I'll probably be Mything it up some more this weekend.
Waagh!
WaaMatt

Post by WaaMatt »

Played last night on Marius and when I quit, the Dock was fine. So, apparently it's not repeatable on a regular basis. :)
Waagh!
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

I've never had 1.6 do anything strange to the dock, and I run it on the bottom. I'm running Leopard on an Intel iMac, and the only strange thing I've noticed is when I run Myth the desktop picture reverts to the standard Leopard desktop picture.
The cake is a lie.
WaaMatt

Post by WaaMatt »

Yeah, that happens to a friend of mine with a MacBook Pro (sorry, I don't remember the specs). My other friends who I play with have a TiBook and a MacBook (new one, I believe) and so far as I can tell, they have no issues at all.

My dock is on the bottom as well.

I have made one change recently: my computer was giving me a frightening image of a graphics card with a red power cable unattached to it. So far as I can tell, the slot fan I had plugged into it and then to the lead from the mobo is either fried or the connecter itself is shot. I removed the slot fan and everything is A-OK.

Oh, I do get screen tearing or whatever you call it when giant triangles of color appear. This happens only during camera rotations and I can not for the life of me pinpoint any cause. Since installing 10.5, this also happens in World of Warcraft and I am chalking it up to a 10.5.x OpenGL bug that has yet to be fixed. (Although, I suppose it could be a problem with Radeon 9700/9800 drivers and 10.5, but I guess that's still a "10.5.x bug.")

The only other thing I've noticed is an inability to see games hosted by my friend with the MacBook Pro if he runs the Universal 1.6. Similarly, he can't join games hosted by the non-Universal version. The downside to running the non-Universal (gameplay takes no hit whatsoever) is typing messages in-game or in the room being a little laggy.
Waagh!
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

WaaMatt wrote:The only other thing I've noticed is an inability to see games hosted by my friend with the MacBook Pro if he runs the Universal 1.6. Similarly, he can't join games hosted by the non-Universal version.
This issue is known, and will be fixed in the next update we release.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

TFL 1.5 does it too (the dock bug)

-DA