Opinions on Myth 3?

Talk about anything here.
Baron LeDant

Post by Baron LeDant »

Ok I've posted a few negative things about myth 3, now I'll type about some of the good stuff.

1 - The warrior (unvetted)/thrall fighting. Warriors in TFL were able to beat thrall while losing half their health, in M2 they often win with taking less than 2-3 hits and in M3 they lose to thrall around 75% of the time. I think this is great for the game, not only does this make thrall more useful than normal on standard light maps (thus having significant tactical implications), but it also means that you have to make an effort to vet up warriors. Once vetted, they are probably better than veteran M2 warriors.

2 - The new maps. Seasons of Slaughter is a really nice map in the mould of Grave, Tour de Forts works very nicely in both team and ffa games (4 team CTF is like the gimble ctf of M3). And there are many really nicely made 3rd party maps such as "A Place to Stand", "Triple Backstab", Llancarfan Street Brawl" and "A Tale of Two Cities".

3 - The lack of'elite' players means that while the competitive side of myth 3 suffered, it was usually a very casual and easy atmosphere to enjoy the game.

4 - Carpet bombing. For the first time in myth you could actually CB accurately. Unfortunately this was largely ruined by the introduction of Fetch.
I wear a plastic ass on my bag ~ Da Cheeze
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

My major problem with myth 3 was well - it wasn't mythy enough. In their attempt to add stuff and make it better, they made it act almost diametrically opposite in strategy. I do however like the pathfinding - it didnt seem too sucky when i was playing it.

Also mjarin was a poor choice for the "leveller". Felt very "tacked-on".

-ooga
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Indeed. That "By the way, would the real Leveller stand up?" ending felt like they'd pulled Mjarin out of a hat full of characters, then pulled 'Luke, I am your Father' out of a hat full of possible climaxes, and said "Hey, here's a good ending".
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
:) Da Cid (: McCl

Post by :) Da Cid (: McCl »

It's like Anakin being the dark lord of the Sith as he is in Phantom Menace. Nay intimidating nor plausible.

-TGP-
Having fun with poser horses and pasted-on Warrior torsos since 1990!™
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

One of the huge problems with Myth 3 was the vocal talent.

Mjarin, Leitrim and Connacht (spelling, all???) were some of the lousiest main character voices I've heard in a game, ever. And I'm not trying to elevate TFL or SB to God-like levels by saying so... I've always been disappointed with the way Soulblighter's voice went all Balor-ish in M2. And let's be honest, the Scottish accents in the first two games were not all that acceptable.

But *something* was .... better, in those first two titles.

Perhaps it'd be appropriate to call M3 'overproduced'? A lot of the music and sound design makes me feel like I'm watching a dodgy kids cartoon. It's in the sound of the voices.. I can't tell you what it is, exactly.

Another thing that bugs me is the fact that Oghres, Moagim, and Mazzarin all seem to use the same vocal effects. I can't tell you the name of the filter but I strongly suspect I could mock it up in Garageband in about half an hour.

Gameplay wise... I had the strong feeling that my troops were always walking to work in M3. Not that it'd be realistic to have your dudes charge at all times, but something in the animation made me feel like I was watching a replay at 1/2 speed.
Subtle things, like the lack of a decent explosion graphic on a warlock fireball, or a less-than-satisfactory indicator of a wight explosion radius - shit like that, can make me feel that suddenly I'm not playing Myth anymore.

Multiplayer was decent fun... I only ever played 1v1 with Cid but it really wasn't all that bad.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

Zeph wrote: Lighting was amazing though.
Thats one of my favorite parts graphically about myth 3
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

The two reasons I could never play M3 were 1) it's impossible to maintain an array of formations without moving each individually, and 2) you can't pause the game with Esc and still be able to select units and give commands. Those two things almost literally made it impossible for me to play the game.

I might have been able to adjust eventually, if the story didn't suck. But to be fair, the M2 story was pretty pale compared to TFL's too.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

A-Red wrote:...1) it's impossible to maintain an array of formations without moving each individually, and 2) you can't pause the game with Esc and still be able to select units and give commands. Those two things almost literally made it impossible for me to play the game...
What, those were your reasons? You are crazy.

Well I do agree TFL's story was better than M2's story. TFL felt epic... a desperate legion taking high risks that worked out for them (for the ones that lived). Yet M2 had better drawings and better engine. I can't really remember how M3 felt other than odd. The music and art was not to my liking as much as TFL and M2 were. Maybe M3 needed better lighting since it felt like the unit models could blend with certain ground textures. If the M3 unit models were better at least it would be more pleasing to the eye. I understand the limitations of the models' polygons and whatnot but I prefer high res sprites rather than pointy 3D models. Some units looked cool though. Trow Iron Warriors, the Watcher, and Moagim look cool.

M3 changed the proportion of a Trow compared to human units... they are much taller in M3 than in TFL/SB. Soulless of course looked terrible in M3. Like boxes. I can't even remember how the gameplay in M3 since I haven't played in ages.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

I'm not a huge fan of Myth 3. I think that the graphics engine is very impressive for the time, very nice effects etc. But most of what I think is pointed out by Myrd, the graphics while detailed etc. are poorly directed, some levels are overly bright while others you can't see, units are hard to distinguish because they all look basically the same. In many ways a lot of it feels very slow too.

My main annoyance with the game is that it has a number of "5 heroes" style maps where you control Ravanna, Myrdred, Damas and Connacht, however they're all the bloody same! They're all essentially melee units with the only differences being that Damas can heal. Myrdred being the most varied since he has dispersal dreams (very few places to use them properly) and that melee attack that holds enemies in place which is handy. Ravanna is basically useless because her normal melee isn't very strong, she seems to love losing health and her special ability is to hurt all your characters =S
Wouldn't have been so bad if Ravanna was a ranged unit maybe, and Myrdred had a different special ability that was less limited (four uses and only a handful of tiny enemy groups?)
The levels themselves weren't even any good. There were artifacts and things that make no sense, like one that summons a load of stygian knights and then kills them for no reason!

I think it's still worth playing through if you can get it reasonably cheaply.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Lord Raven

Post by Lord Raven »

I played Myth 3 for one or two nights and just couldn't stick with it.

I remember being hugely excited when the title was originally announced, but as soon as I read more about the development, I kind of lost hope. A few years after the fact I got a copy of it, played for a while, and just didn't like it. Granted, I only toyed with its solo setup.

Basically, I can play a game with unremarkable graphics provided the gameplay is sound and the storyline is compelling. Myth 3 didn't feel like it had either of these things. There were a bunch of new units that really didn't need to be there beyond them being able to say 'Look! New units!' and the storyline basically attempted to tie up every unanswered question fans had after the initial two games.

In my eyes, what made TFL and SB work so well and stay enjoyable for so long was that there was so much left open and unanswered.

I remember spending many a late night at the Asylum debating all manner of topics until the sun came up. Myth III came along and tried to answer everything, and most of the answers weren't particularly convincing or intriguing.

Basically, Myth III felt (to me) exactly like what it was - a cheap, ill thought out, knock off to cash in on a successful series.
Everyone explodes...
Point

m3 downfall

Post by Point »

well I first saw myth III at e3 before it was released still in the making... back then some of the units and the effects were still bit mapped and the bit map and 3d combo seemed to look good... the push to make it 100% 3d i think killed it since some of the 3d is just plain lousy looking... the main complaint in testing it out back then was that it was so slow paced...

after release it was just plain horrible... the maps way to dark the levels not a bit engaging the effects lousy etc.. pretty maps when you could see them though beyond that a major dissapointment...

as said earlier warlock fire ring warlock fireball.. attacks were lame compared to MII all in all from interface on just not captivating or at all addictive like bungie releases.

show me a third party map for mIII that wasnt dark, that had a good mix of light vs dark units and some good players to play it with and i might play it... though the campaign maps are sleepers.

cool things... could select own icon
map textures and look
shadows
arrows stuck
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
vinylrake

Re: m3 downfall

Post by vinylrake »

Point wrote:as said earlier warlock fire ring warlock fireball.. attacks were lame compared to MII all in all from interface on just not captivating or at all addictive like bungie releases.
There was a plugin someone created that alleged to fix the myth III warlock fire effects to something resembling goodness.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.