Marathon Anywhere - help wanted

Talk about anything here.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

As far as I can see it does.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Eddaweaver wrote:I've got the following Marathon-related plugins. Tell me if you want me to upload any of them.
Wow that's quite a collection - Several I've never even heard of, many I don't have.

I was going to ask you to upload a bunch of the maps but after a bit of research I discovered ALL the maps I was going to ask you for are on TheTain as part of the 'maramyth' plugin.

In case anyone else didn't know, the maps below all come as part of the Maramyth zip available on the tain.

Claustropfhobia v1.0
Death in Realtime v1.01
Deck 7 v1.01
Don't Drink the Water v1.01
Heaven's Gate v1.0
How Few Remain v1.01
Pfhor God & Country v1.01
Thank God It's You! v1.0
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Kythers

Post by Kythers »

Well I also noticed that the hunters and enforcers dont shoot as they should

Current (m1) enforcers shoot in bursts of 2, which is totally not what it is in marathon. They should shoot like 20 times at least.

Also hunters shoot two bullets simultaneously, while they should shoot a burt of 5.

I tried importing an enforcer with Topaz, but I never get it to work :?
Document

Post by Document »

Kythers wrote:Some weird ass melee unit from a marathon TC moves kinda slow and has little HP. I just hope the melee attack is insane! Evil.
Weren't Devlins one of the fastest monsters originally? I haven't played Evil recently, so I could be wrong; but the previously mentioned SitH manual says they have "blinding speed", so maybe I'm not.

On a similar subject, aren't Hulks canonically slower than almost any other unit? I'd accept that as a reason to cut them, but then again I'm not in your target audience anyway.
Tireces wrote:Yay : ) I think that Marathon Anywhere tagset would kick ass but hmm how about making more than one marathon anywhere tagset ?

Lets say "Marathon Durandal Anywhere" ( with Durandal units only ) and "Marathon Infinity Anywhere" (infinity units) or something like that...
Sounds pointless to me when the only real difference would be two extra units (VacBob and SMG Marine). And I guess maybe the giant grey Pfhor from You Think You're Big Time, but they're optional.

Other thoughts:
* Rubicon has better-looking versions of some of the M1-only monsters (basically with smoother shading instead of flat colors); but then again they aren't canon, and gameplay is the important thing anyway.
* I don't remember which Marathon plugin or plugins I've played (one had Devlins), but I vaguely remember Marines being fairly unbalancedly fast. Canonical, but slower Marines would basically fit with canon if you just said they were non-cyborg humans.
* I also remember something about death sequences being off. Hunters only had the hard-death frames, meaning they inexplicably disintegrated into a small puddle even when they were only shot by simple bullets. I don't know enough about Myth to know what should/could be done about that.
Oroboros

Post by Oroboros »

Document wrote:Weren't Devlins one of the fastest monsters originally?
Not so much. You can out-run them backwards. In EVIL, they seemed very fast because they attacked up close, often in confined spaces. The adrenaline factor tends to exaggerate speed. The juggernaut's flame attack is actually faster, just more inaccurate.
* I don't remember which Marathon plugin or plugins I've played (one had Devlins), but I vaguely remember Marines being fairly unbalancedly fast.
By today's standards, possibly... But remember the enemy normally out-numbered you. EVIL was noteworthy for the Devlins and the scarcity of ammo, so you had to punch your way out of trouble several times.

-Oro
Document

Post by Document »

Oroboros wrote:
* I don't remember which Marathon plugin or plugins I've played (one had Devlins), but I vaguely remember Marines being fairly unbalancedly fast.
By today's standards, possibly... But remember the enemy normally out-numbered you. EVIL was noteworthy for the Devlins and the scarcity of ammo, so you had to punch your way out of trouble several times.

-Oro
I'm slightly confused - are we both talking about Marathon-in-Myth plugins?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

...reply deleted to remove butting in where I wasn't needed...
Last edited by vinylrake on Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oroboros

Post by Oroboros »

Document wrote:I'm slightly confused - are we both talking about Marathon-in-Myth plugins?
Sorry, my bad - The first Q I addressed was about Marathon: EVIL, the original Marathon TC FOR Marathon the game. That's what I thought you meant when you said 'originally'. But I carried that train of thought to think the second Q was ALSO about Marathon, when you were talking about Myth. Duh.

-Oro
Astro tSD

Post by Astro tSD »

Wow... If this isn't a blast from the past, I cannot possibly fathom what is. Hiay all. I'm absolutely stunned people are still playing with something I made... god, 7 years ago, at least?

I can fill in a few holes based on really long term memory... Devlins in SitH were very fast. In EVIL, I agree that while they 'seemed' fast, that was probably an exaggeration caused by adrenaline (EVIL had an incredible knack for scaring the shit out of you).

The SitH tagset was released with no maps, originally, you only played it on other maps with the units replaced with SitH units, just as it sounds like you're trying to do here (I actually don't really understand what the difference will be, but then I haven't played Myth for years, and don't really know what some of this means).

I can't remember if I ever did release the SitH Map Pack. I don't think 'Three Eyes on the Plains' or 'SitH Town' were made by me, they don't ring a bell at all. I do recall that as mentioned, the first SitH map pack was supposed to contain 2 maps, Somewhere in the Murk, They are Lurking, and SitH Pool Party...

Somewhere in the Murk was a very dark swamp, populated only by Devlin and SPNKR Marines. SitH Pool Party... Ahh, that brings up some extremely fond memories. Me and several other people (including familiar names already mentioned in this thread) used to 'test' that map for hours and hours straight... It was just a nice grassy valley, with a tiled swimming pool in the middle... 4 teams, one in each corner, mostly SPNKR Marines, Cyborgs, and... I think Assimilated BoBs?

And seeing my SitH manual again was astounding...

Jeeze... I saw a link to download M2 for OSX at getmyth.org or something... If anyone can post where to get SitH, I'd love to fire it up again, and reminisce. God... crazy memories.

...Anyone know what happened to Thrall?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Astro tSD wrote:Wow... If this isn't a blast from the past, I cannot possibly fathom what is. Hiay all. I'm absolutely stunned people are still playing with something I made... god, 7 years ago, at least?

Jeeze... I saw a link to download M2 for OSX at getmyth.org or something... If anyone can post where to get SitH, I'd love to fire it up again, and reminisce. God... crazy memories.

...Anyone know what happened to Thrall?
Welcome back!

SiTH tagset is available at udogs hotline server -

http://hl.udogs.net/files/Gaming/ Myth Series/Myth II - Soulblighter/Maps, Plugins, & Conversions/Plugins

you are correct that conceptually the SitH tagset and the proposed Marathon Anywhere plugin do the same thing - replace units on a map with SitH units - the difference is while most unit tagsets replace standard bungie units so you can play them on any map that uses normal Bungie units - Baak's anywhere plugins replace units on TONS of maps - not just standard Bungie units but lots of 3rd party stuff including WWII maps, Wild West, MythWarrior, DorfBall, just all kinds of units get replaces - so having an Anywhere plugin makes your tagset work on a lot more maps.
Astro tSD

Post by Astro tSD »

Ahh, gotcha.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Yuck at Devlin.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

Hey, I remember you astro. Welcome back to myth.
Astro tSD

Post by Astro tSD »

Orlando the Axe wrote:Hey, I remember you astro. Welcome back to myth.
Hey, thanks. I can't say I'll probably stay long... Maybe... Is there some sort of pre-defined one time of the week that alot of people play or something that I could stop by for?
Baak

Post by Baak »

Hey Astro - welcome back! Well, I'd say the SitH Tagset is pretty darn sweet, so no surprise some of us die-hard Mythers would keep it alive. I may have to tap your knowledge sometime for a detail here and there if I get stuck making the Anywhere plugin from the tagset.

Which reminds me, is it ok with you to proceed? I'm not sure officially who "owns" the SitH Tagset and/or how much work came from MaraMyth, but I planned to credit the whole crew from both. Any insight here would be good to know.

Astro tSD wrote:Somewhere in the Murk was a very dark swamp, populated only by Devlin and SPNKR Marines. SitH Pool Party
The Pool Party one sounds mysteriously like the "VR Pool Party" map (from TFL originally?) You don't happen to have these laying around on an old computer or CD? :)

Astro tSD wrote:Is there some sort of pre-defined one time of the week that alot of people play or something that I could stop by for?
We (the OoH) play every Saturday night (time varies but generally 10pm CT is a good time to check in). We sometimes open our game up and anyone can play provided they have the plugins - and we have a lot of 'em. Drop by sometime. :)