community shrinkge

Talk about anything here.
Arthim

community shrinkge

Post by Arthim »

pretty much everyone who has played myth for any length of time knows that the community is shrinking. What can we do about it?
for an mmo, click this link:
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Play.
Horus

Post by Horus »

There is nothing that can be done. With the continual release of new technologies, and newer games Myth is no longer viable to the open public. It's really only those who love older games / were around when it was first released (and come back to it) / or are diehard players who have never left that it is viable to.

The only thing that could be done would be for someone or a group to aquire the rights to the Myth francise and remake the games on a newer engine (like the CryEngine 2). But we all know that unless a good intentioned Myther becomes a millioniare and aquires those rights that isn't likely to happen...
vinylrake

Re: community shrinkge

Post by vinylrake »

Arthim wrote:pretty much everyone who has played myth for any length of time knows that the community is shrinking. What can we do about it?
The community shrinkage is due to the cold winter months. Once the really warm weather arrives, we'll expand back to our normal size.

ps. See these forums and mariusnet for periodic discussions about advertising, contests, letter writing campaigns, distributing free copies of Myth II and other ideas for enlarging the community. My recommendation is if you think of or hear of a good idea, go with it. Don't pick something that requires a lot of cooperation or unanimity in thought or you'll be dissapointed, just pick something _you_ can do yourself and do it. And NO, one person isn't going to significantly increase the size of the community, but neither will a whole group of people criticizing each others ideas or nitpicking good ideas to death.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
GIANT

Post by GIANT »

Glad to see a few people have not gave up on the old Myth game! You guys are diehards! :D
Baak

Post by Baak »

Dienevahz! ;)
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Heya G :)
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
sillek

Post by sillek »

I honestly only still play Myth because it's the only game my [old] computer can run. If I had a new one, I'd still keep it installed and pop in time to time.. but it's too hard to get a game, so I'd probably just give up for the most part.

Also.. look at the people's names in these "myth shrinking" threads. How many of them do you actually see playing Myth ? To me it seems most of them just patrol the forums/hotline/make maps.

No point to my post..just saying that it seems like most of the Myth community spends their time either on the forums or HL. Most of the people on the server are random people I've barely [if ever] seen before, and don't see after 3days later ever again.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

sillek wrote:Most of the people on the server are random people I've barely [if ever] seen before, and don't see after 3days later ever again.
If you check their identity with a .info, you'll doubtless find that 95% of them are Shaister :)
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

I'm doing all i can with my youtube profile - got some cool myth films (2 so far) and some others (FEAR, M.U.G.E.N., 2142).

Ill try to spam a bunch of myth youtube vids of cool stuff happening -maybe someone will actually see wtf game it is, eh?

Small contribution -but its something I can do personally!
Point

advertise a bit...

Post by Point »

well marius was busy with old school peeps the other day when mwc was anounced.... spring off that and advertise myth world cup and 1.6 1.7 get the word out and some of the old myth addicts will return for a look see...

http://www.myspace.com/pointsg
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

GIANT wrote:Glad to see a few people have not gave up on the old Myth game! You guys are diehards! :D

Hey giant, still alive heh? :)

is there a new gather point for Idiotsâ„¢ ?

if not, you can still AIM me! (ask captain trips)
Point

Re: advertise a bit...

Post by Point »

Point wrote:well marius was busy with old school peeps the other day when mwc was anounced.... spring off that and advertise myth world cup and 1.6 1.7 get the word out and some of the old myth addicts will return for a look see...

once again my dissapearing text post ...
Horus

Re: advertise a bit...

Post by Horus »

Point wrote:
Point wrote:well marius was busy with old school peeps the other day when mwc was anounced.... spring off that and advertise myth world cup and 1.6 1.7 get the word out and some of the old myth addicts will return for a look see...

once again my dissapearing text post ...
Funny I can see them in quote but not on the board...

Edit: Wow you made my post disappear too... ok deleting various code bits and the extra spaces on that url your posting seems to have done the trick.
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

Point's two posts above display no text for me, either. They're blank, although the second one is a larger window indicating that maybe it was a larger post.