community shrinkge

Talk about anything here.
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

Point. Whatever is on the end of your URL is fubaring things. Make sure there are no extra "Spaces" after "pointsg"
vinylrake

Re: advertise a bit...

Post by vinylrake »

Point wrote:well marius was busy with old school peeps the other day when mwc was anounced.... spring off that and advertise myth world cup and 1.6 1.7 get the word out and some of the old myth addicts will return for a look see...

http://www.myspace.com/pointsg
Point I like the idea behind your myspace myth advocacy page, but I must say that your slide show gives a rather distorted view of what Myth is for someone who doesn't know what it is - it makes it look like Myth is a Civil War game! A really NICE looking civil war game, true - but Myth aint a civil war game! least not last I checked.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Arthim

Post by Arthim »

lol @ point
for an mmo, click this link:
Bou

Post by Bou »

Make this game Freeware, it is what i think the only option to lure more players to the myth community.
gugusm

Post by gugusm »

Pay 10000000000...$ to make it freeware first :P
doctor 7

Post by doctor 7 »

Bou wrote:Make this game Freeware, it is what i think the only option to lure more players to the myth community.
I think this is the only way to do it. It's hard to convince friends to play a game when it's over 10 years old and it costs like $20-30 to buy it and get it shipped to you because it's not available locally.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

doctor 7 wrote:
Bou wrote:Make this game Freeware, it is what i think the only option to lure more players to the myth community.
I think this is the only way to do it. It's hard to convince friends to play a game when it's over 10 years old and it costs like $20-30 to buy it and get it shipped to you because it's not available locally.
Yes, perhaps, but no one here has the authority or right or ability to make the game 'freeware' so that's the problem. Me or you (for example) deciding we want the game to be freeware so making it available for free download isn't making the game 'freeware', it's just making us pirates.

[v]R
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

doctor 7 wrote:
Go to eBay or Amazon and you only pay like $5 for Myth.
doctor 7

Post by doctor 7 »

vinylrake wrote:Yes, perhaps, but no one here has the authority or right or ability to make the game 'freeware' so that's the problem. Me or you (for example) deciding we want the game to be freeware so making it available for free download isn't making the game 'freeware', it's just making us pirates.

[v]R
My post wasn't a call to arms for making Myth freeware. I understand downloading it without paying for it isn't legal. I paid $15 for my Myth: Total Codex when I saw it on a random visit to EB games and it's certainly one of the best purchases ever. I was just saying that short of making the game freeware I doubt anything will be able to increase the player base.
Pyro wrote:Go to eBay or Amazon and you only pay like $5 for Myth.
In terms of shipping to Canada it's more than that just for shipping plus then you have to worry about dealing with EB sellers. I've never had a problem with them but I have had friends that have been burned pretty badly.
Oroboros

Post by Oroboros »

Expanding the playerbase is a marketing issue. The playerbase doesn't do the marketing for Myth, and even if we did, we wouldn't get rewarded for it.

Games get old for the initial wave of retail. They don't immediately go out of circulation: normally, a new world market is created for it. Older players may remember that while the US market shrunk, a fire was lit under the South American sales reps and a new wave of Brazillian players joined us.

Short of passing the game off to Africa, pre-loaded on $100 laptops, one way to pass the Mythlore around is to re-deploy it in the education sector.

In terms of strategy, Sun Tzu's 'Art of War' applies directly to Myth games. Be aware that Sun Tzu broadly outlines conflict strategies, so Myth scenarios can broadly be applied to conflict resolution demonstrations, from recreating the Battle of Waterloo, to Wall St stock market battles.

An idea I had about 5 years ago was to simulate/demonstrate the effects of vaccines and cancers in the bloodstream via Myth. The terrain and height map might represent vital organs, including go and no-go areas for certain unit types (red cells, white cells, virii, bacteria, antibiotics, parasites, etc), collapsing veins, blocked arteries, etc etc that various organisms would react to. Peeps could play disease vs serum, with unit trading representing the strength each type of organism contributes.

Publicise the plug properly and you'll have highschool intro biology classes everywhere playing Myth to learn the dynamics of disease propagation.

Imagine walking into that class :) Hey, imagine being paid to TUTOR that class!

-Oro
"Harden The Fuck Up." - Dalai Lama, 1990
Baak

Post by Baak »

I think I caught the Myth virus back in 1999.
Renwood TWA

Post by Renwood TWA »

That is a VERY good idea Oro!!!

in 2000 i worked with a swedish scientist that wanted to use 3D studio max to create 3D animations showing on a cellular level what it looked liked when AIDS entered a system and how it reacted with other cells.

He wanted to make AIDS awareness vidoes and focus them in pre exsisting African relief efforts education programs.

So yea i could see this with sprite animation myth style like you outlined.

Then preload that and normal myth on your $100 laptops!

Dont make me get out my grant writing books!

Im too busy allready!

-Renwood
Peach Out
Oroboros

Post by Oroboros »

Hmmm.

Ren thinks my idea is good.

I feel dirty.

-Oro

:D
"Harden The Fuck Up." - Dalai Lama, 1990
Point

Re: advertise a bit...

Post by Point »

vinylrake wrote:
Point wrote:well marius was busy with old school peeps the other day when mwc was anounced.... spring off that and advertise myth world cup and 1.6 1.7 get the word out and some of the old myth addicts will return for a look see...

http://www.myspace.com/pointsg
Point I like the idea behind your myspace myth advocacy page, but I must say that your slide show gives a rather distorted view of what Myth is for someone who doesn't know what it is - it makes it look like Myth is a Civil War game! A really NICE looking civil war game, true - but Myth aint a civil war game! least not last I checked.
yep its a little heavy on the cwr since that folder is the one that i uploaded screenshots to... though I hope to add some regular and other tagset photos and videos when i get a chance...

thats why i have the links and such there anyway the more pages and movies people put up on the various sites the more exposure.
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Horus

Post by Horus »

Oroboros wrote:Hmmm.

Ren thinks my idea is good.

I feel dirty.

-Oro

:D
You better get the pyre ready Oro, you'll never be clean again you flithy heretic :wink: