Plugins due in 2008? List?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

The project page for Oak on melekor's web page describes a far different tool than we have today. Oak is not the godly multi-purpose app that it boasted it was going to be. Instead it runs in an environment similar to Loathing, and allows you to paint 'detail textures' onto your meshes. If you include the tags with your plugin, and people using 1.7 tick the 'Use Detail Textures' preference, they get to see OMFG high-res cmaps!

That's all it does though. Impressive, but not as impressive as intended.
GizmoHB

Post by GizmoHB »

well its not done yet, good chance he just made the private beta version so people can start making their maps (and the M2 standard maps) 1.7 ready...

oh and as far as maps in 2008 go, I'm working on a map... its nothing special, but it'll be finished in 2008...

Giz
remedial

Post by remedial »

I'm behind- what will "1.7 ready" really mean? I think I saw an example of texture mapping applied to one of the TSG maps- is that the biggest leap forward or what else is there to prepare for?

Here's a multi I'm working on
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

remedial wrote:I'm behind- what will "1.7 ready" really mean? I think I saw an example of texture mapping applied to one of the TSG maps- is that the biggest leap forward or what else is there to prepare for?
Nice screenshots. As for "1.7 ready", that just means ready for 1.7 in this case. That way when 1.7 is final, the maps are done too or close to it.

Detail textures is just one thing that will be in 1.7. Some minor things as well and a few other major stuff some of which players won't noticed unless a plugin uses them.
GizmoHB

Post by GizmoHB »

wow, I just almost worried somebody stole my map seeing that first screenshot... it looks a lot like a part of a map im working on...

keep up the good work though =)

Giz
Krille

Post by Krille »

oh,, so this is what maps will look like with the 1.7 tools?

ooh hah I'm interested in becoming a mapmaker again then :p
looks kinda like m3 maps but with the m2 gameplay ;)

good job with the 1.7 thingies!
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I wish Oak would be released. I have several maps I had started work on and kind of let languish because I was too lazy and didn't want to have to go back and add texture mapping to once 1.7 & Oak came out. Ok, that and I have a tendency to rarely finish my projects, but I really blame these most recent ones on Oak not being available.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
remedial

Post by remedial »

DAMN Gizmo! They do look alike, but yours is looking damn HAWT.

Yeah, okay, so i'm starting to see, much like the M3 maps, textures are directly overlayed on the mesh for some amazing effects.

My question now is how can I get at this private beta?
Point

nice tree

Post by Point »

hey if you have that tree model... I could use that in my work projects... (real world... )

:)
GizmoHB wrote:wow, I just almost worried somebody stole my map seeing that first screenshot... it looks a lot like a part of a map im working on...

keep up the good work though =)

Giz
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Bou

Post by Bou »

Wow Gizmo that map looks amazing. Keep up the good work.
Road

Post by Road »

remedial wrote: My question now is how can I get at this private beta?
Usually theres a good reason for certian projects to be private betas. Oak is created by Melekor and hosted by Project Magma. My only suggestion is to wait but if your really desperate you can always go on to Udogs hotline and ask Myrd really nicely if you can beta test the project.
Keep in mind that it is a private beta for a reason and usually only Magma members have access to these projects because they can be trusted to keep it private and to report issues.
For the most part the reason why most projects are in private beta status is because it may be upgraded and anyone useing it may find that their version no longer works if they dont continue to update if bugs are found. When projects go public and a bug is found many people tend to just complain about the issue rather than give a full report and wait for a fix to be made.