Water Levels

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Buck Mild

Water Levels

Post by Buck Mild »

Hey guys, I'm following Clem's old map tutorial to make my map, and its looking pretty good so far.

However, I've come across another big problem. It says on Clem's tutorial, to make multiple water levels, you need to export the displacement map, and copy the exact shade of grey/black over the water parts of your map.

So I imported that under water level import. After that, I took that exact map I imported, only this time, I made the entire thing black and transfered it into reflection maps.

However, instead of having 2 different water levels, it looks about the same, and my river has risen up higher than the ground level! what am i doing wrong?
vinylrake

Re: Water Levels

Post by vinylrake »

Buck Mild wrote:However, instead of having 2 different water levels, it looks about the same, and my river has risen up higher than the ground level! what am i doing wrong?
Water always confounds me and makes my brain hurt, but I when I ran into water height/media height/reflection map related issues reading through the water section in Heal with Steel's Mapmaking for Newbies tutorial fixed all my problems.

If you don't get a more directed response to the specific problem you are having that might be worth a look through. (you can find if by searching author=steel at the graveyard section of mything.org)
Buck Mild

Post by Buck Mild »

i did look into it, and it felt as though it was working but ended up not doing much.

I also exported the water level maps and reflection maps from beyond the cloudspine, and did the equivalent thing on my map but it turned out a big buggy.

However, under mesh, there are 4 height setting options, the bottom 2 being media options, but one of them is greyed out. The one I can use sets the media level for the entire map. Is there a away to set two media levels? I feel like that could save my problem
Baak

Post by Baak »

Buck Mild wrote:Is there a away to set two media levels? I feel like that could save my problem
Someone else can doubtless shed more light on a solution, but I know Bungie's Boil and Bubble map had multiple media levels (that was part of the uniqueness of the map).
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Media Height Maps, Displacement Maps, and the Reflection map are all somewhat intertwined.

Usually during my mapmaking process, I'll import the reflection map right off the bat. If I set my mesh up the default terrain height is 0. When you import your Rmap, the default media height is 0.

As you observed, you can go under Mesh and go 'set all media heights'. For this example lets say you plug in -2, then lower ALL the displacement terrain to -2. Now instead of being at 0 (2 world units higher than all the rest of the ground) it's equal to your starting point. I usually lower the mesh 2 or 3 world units... this basically just adds more viewing and playing area when zoomed out in game. From this stage I displace my map using the loathing height brushes. Once I've got it all set up I'll take a look at my height map in comparison to the reflection map. If I've got terrain higher in one spot where a pond is, that is up above the main river, I'll go under Maps and export my Displacement map, and right afterwards, export my media height map.

In photoshop or your editor, you open the displacement map and sample a tone of grey from the upper pond, then open your media height map, select an area large enough to cover where the pond is marked on your reflection map, then pour in that sampled tone of grey. It should theoretically be a lighter shade than the rest of the media height. Save the height map and then go back to loathing and import the saved height map. You now have a main river at -2 with a sloping bank, and then a pond on the field above sitting at a height of +0.6.

I hope this wasnt too jumbled. It's late, I've been up for nearly 20 hours, and I'm baked. If you want more details let me know.
Topsy Kretz

Post by Topsy Kretz »

Its been a long while since I mythed, but it sounds to me like your very close and just need to. . .

. . . go back into Loathing, select the vertices of mesh, press and hold shift to select multiple points at the same time, where you want your media to be a different height.

Once you have them selected, go into Loathings Mesh Menu, select the Set Media Height... and set it to the height you want the media to be there. Repeat on other areas of your map as necessary.

I don't recall if you have to re-import the reflection map or not, but I do recall you will have to save, close, and reopen you mesh to see the changes you made.

Using this method you can even make your own rough waterfall of media come over an edge of landcape, or just have media higher and lower in different areas as in The Wall level of MII:SB.

GL HF!!
"Do you want to be healed, now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
Sonixboom

Post by Sonixboom »

im hosting a mapmaking contest you can register on mariusnet.com if you finish it in time i'm sure the myth community would love to play it

-Sonixboom
Anyone interested in joining my clan drop me a line.
Topsy Kretz

Post by Topsy Kretz »

Sonixboom wrote:im hosting a mapmaking contest you can register on mariusnet.com if you finish it in time i'm sure the myth community would love to play it

-Sonixboom
I plan to. If I can keep focused I may just get in some external testing and a solid release before the deadline.

Do you have a direct link to the registration page??
"Do you want to be healed, now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
Sonixboom

Post by Sonixboom »

yep...let me find it...

http://www.mariusnet.com/ubbthreads.php ... /Board/399

there you go :)

-Sonixboom
Anyone interested in joining my clan drop me a line.