Official 1.7 Public Beta Bug Reporting Thread

Talk about anything here.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

on an older Mac OS 10.2.8 and Open GL I was getting _really_ slow FPS (similar to your rate) and no tweaking of Myth prefs OR on my graphix card seemed to have any effect UNTIL I reduced the screen pixel res in Myth, that made a HUGE difference. e.g. 1.7 at 1280x1024 was molasses, at 1028x768 it runs perfectly fine - I've played some carnage heavy coops and not noticed any slide shows or problems. I have a decent graphix card that can in theory handle the high res screen, but reducing the # of pixels on the screen made all the difference to me.
sasper

Post by sasper »

GodzFire wrote: Please post all your system specs; processor, memory, video card, system, OS, etc.
processor : 1.5 ghz g4 PPC
memory: 768 mb
video: GeForce FX Go5200
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I don't believe that you get the same FPS with the PPC and Universal builds. From your system specs, the PPC build should be giving you much better FPS than the Universal one.

Please check again and post how many FPS you get with 1.7 PPC vs 1.7 Universal. Then check your FPS with 1.6 PPC build, and post here.

This will give us a better idea of the impact of the changes on your config so that we will be able to fix it for the final. Thanks.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

A simple benchmark that has been performed for the devs by many of the private beta testers, is to load up willow creek, and tick the little box on objectives/hints window so it comes up automatically each game. Reload the map and then record your FPS (ctrl+delete in game) right as it starts in paused mode. Then un pause it and record the rate, then move your camera over to the animating windmill. Pause it, record the rate, un pause it and record the rate.

Repeat this in 1.6 PPC, 1.7 PPC, and 1.7 UB, then report back. It'll give tons of comparative feedback to what others have already given them, and might help the devs to narrow the issue down for you.

If you're having this problem, it's likely a handful or more of others will experience it too. Best to squish the problem sooner than later!
sasper

Post by sasper »

i recorded the actual fps rate:
willow creek:
1.6 start level hints showing: 40 fps
1.6 camera over windmill, paused: 50 fps
1.6 camera over windmill, not paused: 150 fps

1.7 PPC start level hints showing: 8.8 fps
1.7 PPC camera over windmill, paused: 8.2 fps
1.7 PPC camera over windmill, not paused: 8.6 fps

1.7 UB start level hints showing: 8.8 fps
1.7 UB camera over windmill, paused: 6.8 fps
1.7 UB camera over windmill, not paused: 8.3 fps
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

I don't think its just the opengl changes causing this problem - sasper reported nasty problems with software rendering as well. It may not be opengl at all, perhaps something else has changed?
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Iron is correct, clearly there is something else going on here besides the opengl changes if there are issues with the software renderer as well.
zoso

Post by zoso »

windows xp, 1.4 ghz AMD athlon XP, 512 mb ram, ATI radeon 9200 SE AGP 128 mb, myth modern, running in OpenGL. not sure what else u need.

myth crashes on Liberator death on GLeeps DOD since 1.7 update. crashes on versions rc25, 26 and 27. didn't have this problem on 1.6. i have uploaded mythlog and film and posting link below. there were 3 of us playing. gleep and I were on windows, we both crashed. godzfire was on mac, he didn't crash. then we all tried again on 1.6 and no crash.

http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20Us ... 1.7%20film

http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20Us ... th_log.txt

p.s. the mythlog file is with advanced debug on or whatever it is called.

thank you

also, gleep was in software mode and i was in OpenGL.
Last edited by zoso on Thu May 14, 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qwerty2

Post by qwerty2 »

haven't tried it yet under 1.7 but in all previously versions there has been a bug in saving films.

If you have too many films in the recordings folder any subsequent films will not save.
what the hell is the pword to my old account?
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

qwerty, that's not a bug, that's a limit.

Similar to the limits of max # of plugins in your plugins folder before they stop showing up in the list.

You still have to archive your old films, just like 1.3.
Gleep

Post by Gleep »

The bug that zoso mentioned doesn't seem to happen in single player mode, only online with more players. I'll try to setup a test plugin to recreat and narrow down the problem.
qwerty2

Post by qwerty2 »

Graydon wrote:qwerty, that's not a bug, that's a limit.

Similar to the limits of max # of plugins in your plugins folder before they stop showing up in the list.

You still have to archive your old films, just like 1.3.
It is a bug when it doesn't tell you that the films arn't being saved and you think that they are.
what the hell is the pword to my old account?
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

qwerty2 wrote:It is a bug when it doesn't tell you that the films arn't being saved and you think that they are.
I'd still debate whether it's a 'bug' per se, but you definitely bring up a very valid point, no argument. It would be excellent if myth popped up a dialog window and informed you that you've hit your film limit and need to archive some films before you can save more. And perhaps a little box on the Replays window showing your total films in replays folder out of the max limit number; so you can see the buffer zone and (if you're on top of things) dont have to risk losing that one film the time the dialog warning comes up.

Good call bringing this issue to the table.
Arzenic

Post by Arzenic »

..or just increase the limit significantly. I dont quite see the point in having a limit for the films anyways. With a higher limit you could still put them into folders if you wanted to.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

sasper wrote:i recorded the actual fps rate:
Two more questions:

What resolution are you using?
What FPS do you get with software mode under 1.6 and under 1.7?