Looking for the PC version of Ballistic

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Myrd, as far as I know, there isn't a working version of Vengeance, at least on the OSX side.
ElusiveMind

Long Time No Talk

Post by ElusiveMind »

Hey All;

Long Time No Talk!

I'm currently looking through the archives and such and will see what working version of Ballistic I still have around. If my memory serves me right there were some unpublished changes in a beta that was never pushed into a non-expiring build. I'll see what I can dig up.

The biggest obstacle these days is that while the code is carbonized for OS X, it's using an obsolete IDE ( CodeWarrior 8 ).

As for the ReadMe..... yeah that was a different time. IMO it's worth the paper it's printed (or not printed) on. I'll be open sourcing the whole ball of wax and maintaining a build of it moving forward. That is, if anyone really cares at this point. I'll put up an SVN.... possibly even a SourceForge thing here soon (although I don't particularly care for SourceForge).

I've gotten some emails regarding my web site and the Myth thing I put on it. Basically I'm building my web site to be reflective of all the projects I've worked on - and Myth is one of those. The size and scope of what I put there is still being discussed, but I'd hate for Myth III to end up looking like it is. Now that things are settling down I'd love to find some time to work on that aspect of the game. It all just remains unknown and I'm trying to approach things a day at a time.

Anyhoo - feel free to ask me if you have any questions. No matter what I do or where I do it, there will be no forum - so anything will be posted here.

I hope everyone is well.
mbagnall@elusivemind.com - @ElusiveMind / @FlyingFlip
Developer - Myth III, FlyingFlip Studios
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Very happy to see you back Michael and still interested in Myth's future.

I swear, there is not a single place with the PC version of Ballistic anymore. It's all but disappeared. Hosting that on your upcoming site would be great.

Also, do you happen to know any differences between Vengeance and Ballistic, ie: anything that Vengeance had Ballistic didn't? I have the most recent version of Ballistic, and Vengeance - Build 234, the only functioning one I could find around. If Vengeance doesn't have anything Ballistic misses I'd love to be able to finally confirm that.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Hey, glad to hear it, I stopped editing Myth 3, but with a few tweaks I might get back into it.

Good to hear that M3 might be getting a kiss of life.
ElusiveMind

Post by ElusiveMind »

Wow.... I am not sure I could remember if you put a gun to my head actually. I also don't know what evolution Vengeance is in these days. I know Ballistic had some stuff in it that was broken at one point and fixed at others. I'll have to dig things up and do a readme with the features. Hopefully I've got a database dump of the bug tracking system I used back almost 5 years ago.

I'm off to supper now but will be looking at this more over the next few days since I have some time off.

More later.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Sounds good, looking forward to it.
Baak

Post by Baak »

Hey, Michael - great to see you again and glad to hear Myth III may be coming off life support soon(tm)! :)

Cheers!
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Hi Michael, great to hear that you're planning to release the code and old bug tracking db for Ballistic!

In the mean time, I was able to find on my system Ballistic PC and Mac versions from (I guess) its initial release. Obviously these don't include later improvements, and none of the beta stuff, but its better than nothing (I hope you don't mind me posting them here):

ballistic_macintosh.sit

ballistic_windows.zip

I also went ahead and downloaded the updated Vengeance source code from The Tain and made builds (for Windows and Mac OS X):

vengeance_mac.sit

vengeance_win.zip

I have no idea how Vengeance compares to Ballistic, as I remember the two code bases diverged and we (Project Magma) essentually stopped working on Vengeance when Ballistic was released (since it was more polished and better supported). I just don't know of specific differences, so you have to try them both to compare.

Hopefully when Michael digs up the Ballistic code, we can compare it to Vengeance and have a better idea of the differences.
Last edited by Myrd on Sun May 24, 2009 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElusiveMind

Post by ElusiveMind »

Good deal. My primary goal is getting my web site ready for prime time so I have a place to put this stuff. The big big goal of this is to hopefully get an XCode project as well as a VS 2008 (I'd even take VS 2005) project together so it can be built void of CodeWarrior. I still have a copy of Codewarrior 8, but it doesn't play real well with OS 10.5.

Thanks for posting the builds tho. I've got - literally - about 15 DVD's of compressed archives to go through including a lot of M3 stuff that was never released that Clem worked on. I'll touch base with him (since he lives basically up the street from me) to make sure he's cool with it, but I doubt very seriously he'd have any problem with it.

There's a lot of really cool stuff in there - the trick is finding the best way to make it available. It'll take some time, but I think that anything worth doing is worth doing well.

More later.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Awesome Michael! If there's anything you need help with, or some gruntwork, just let me know.

I know there's a lot of mixed feelings about M3, but I still really believe in it!
Baak

Post by Baak »

Just went through my archives -- I have Ballistic v1.01 for Mac and PC (not sure if there was a later release? mb?)

I also have Vengeance Source Code dated 2004-07-27 -- again, not sure if this is the latest or is helpful, etc.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

I know this is a little off topic, bu tif you can talk to clem, I am wondering if we can get The Seventh God up on the Tain, as it seems a lot of people don't know where to find it.

So nice to see Myth 3 getting some work done on it. Thanks!
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Jon God wrote:I know this is a little off topic, bu tif you can talk to clem, I am wondering if we can get The Seventh God up on the Tain, as it seems a lot of people don't know where to find it.
I wouldn't get your hopes up trying to get Clem to upload that to the Tain. Maybe another Creation member would do it.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

haravikk wrote:
Jon God wrote:I know this is a little off topic, bu tif you can talk to clem, I am wondering if we can get The Seventh God up on the Tain, as it seems a lot of people don't know where to find it.
I wouldn't get your hopes up trying to get Clem to upload that to the Tain. Maybe another Creation member would do it.
Who else was in Creation Games?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Ask Baak. Maybe he could host it and entry on TheTain could link to OoH site.