Installing Myth II for the first time on OS X via 1.7

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
johnnowak

Installing Myth II for the first time on OS X via 1.7

Post by johnnowak »

Hello all. Wanting to get back into myth after half a decade of absence, I downloaded the Myth II 1.7 Manual Installer for OS X. Unfortunately, I seem unable to install it because the installer on the CD will not run on OS X. The manual for 1.7 says that I can "install Myth II directly from CD with the Myth II Installer, which comes with the Myth II 1.7 Update Installer". Unfortunately, no such installer seems included, and no other relevant download option other than the universal 1.7 manual installer seems available.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Installing Myth II for the first time on OS X via 1.7

Post by Pyro »

Did you download the correct one? There is a UB (Universal Binary) and a PPC (PowerPC) versions of the Mac 1.7 update.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Both of which are manual updates Pyro. I don't think any 'installer from CD' was included. However, such an installer _was_ included with the 1.5 or the 1.6 update. Can't remember which. If he were to update from the CD to one of those versions, then manually update from that to 1.7 he should be golden.

The other option would be to list all the exact tags and in which folders he'd need them. Im sure his M2 CD still _loads_ in 10.5.7, he just cant install off it. He _can_ drag/drop/manually install from the CD if he knows what to copy where though. I can't help, im eating up my break time typing this message.... I'm hungry.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Graydon wrote:Both of which are manual updates Pyro. I don't think any 'installer from CD' was included. However, such an installer _was_ included with the 1.5 or the 1.6 update. Can't remember which.
The 1.5.1 had it, but not the 1.6 update. However, the 1.7 has it too. As the 1.7 readme states.
On Mac OS X, you may also install Myth II directly from CD with the Myth II Installer, which comes with the Myth II 1.7 Update Installer. To do this, simply launch the Myth II Installer and follow the instructions given.
johnnowak

Post by johnnowak »

As I said, I am using the universal version. Also, as I said, the installer does not appear to be in the download. I am aware of what the readme says; I quoted it.

Here is the contents of the directory:

Fear & Loathing Docs/
Fear 1.7
How To Install.txt
Loathing 1.7
local/
metaservers/
Myth II 1.7 (PowerPC)
Myth II 1.7 (Universal).app
myth_log.txt
plugins/
put in plugins/
Readme_1.7.0.pdf
tags/

Attempting to run 'Myth II 1.7 (Universal).app' simply tells me to re-install 1.7 due to missing patch files.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Because you need to manually place the files into your Myth II folder. Read the "How To Install.txt" file.
johnnowak

Post by johnnowak »

Pyro wrote:Because you need to manually place the files into your Myth II folder. Read the "How To Install.txt" file.
The "How to Install" file clearly begins:
To upgrade to Myth II 1.7 from any prior version do the following:

1. Locate your Myth II folder on your hard drive.
I cannot do this because, as I said, I've yet to install it.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Heh.

Pyro, there is no 1.7 installer from CD (yet).

I don't know what the proper solution is but you can DL this:

http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/myth-ii-1-5-1-mac

Which DOES have an install from CD, then use the 1.7 manual updater. Hope that helps,

-DA
johnnowak

Post by johnnowak »

I've managed to install Myth II from the CD manually by copying the Myth II directory and the appropriate (small) tag file. The manual 1.7 update could then be applied normally. I'd encourage you to update your readme file and your "Bug Finder Extraordinaire" as well.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

:P My mistake, I was just assuming the devs had already added the installer as they said they were planning on doing before they released 1.7. I should have stuck with my untrusting ways and only trusted what I've seen for myself like usual. Besides the readme and this Mac stuff isn't part of my bug testing status. :wink:
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

johnnowak wrote:I've managed to install Myth II from the CD manually by copying the Myth II directory and the appropriate (small) tag file. The manual 1.7 update could then be applied normally.
You should actually copy _all five_ of the tag files into your 'tags' folder in your Myth 2 directory. Then you don't need the CD and load times will be considerably faster, especially if a map has been played more than once in a session, since its data will be cached in your ram.
johnnowak wrote:I'd encourage you to update your readme file and your "Bug Finder Extraordinaire" as well.
There's no doubt the ReadMe should be updated, or more importantly the actual 'from CD installer' to be uploaded by the devs. However, the snide comment to Pyro (in your third post no less), who happened to be trying to troubleshoot a problem for you, not bug testing, was completely uncalled for. Especially by someone who admits in his first post he's been absent for half a decade. Who are you to assume you know anything about Pyro's abilities? Effective way to come off as an asshole very early in the game. 10/10 if that's what you were going for.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

The installer for OS X had to be dropped because the only tools available for creating them are utter crap and produce broken or dangerous installers for some versions of OS X. It's pretty annoying, I've yet to figure out how to get it to work correctly, I can run the 1.5.1 installer fine, but I can't recreate it from the original files and have it work the same (it won't allow a custom folder to be selected).
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Har: wouldn't an OS X installer basically do the following:

-make a new folder on a HD
-copy tags from CD to said folder
-copy Myth 2 1.7 app to said folder

If that's the case, then a simple Applescript should suffice.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

It's not quite so simple, the 1.5.1 installer does use scripts, as the OS X installer program assumes you want all files packaged up inside it. However, we were hoping to have a "proper" OS X installer, but the damned things are a pain to create, and seem riddled with permissions issues and half the time the features you want don't work at all.

For example; the updater installs 1.7 files to the target directory, and optionally installs the tools as well. But how do you specify that both things should target the same directory, while only asking the user to pick one folder? Adding that kind of stuff is unbelievably painful and breaks really easily.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
neodragon39

Post by neodragon39 »

Greetings all,

First time user of Project Magma and looking forward to firing up Myth II for the first
time in several years but I thought I would check one question first...

Btw, apologies in advance if somebody already raised this point elsewhere but I wasn't able to find it if they did, so I did make an effort before posting...

Is it okay to run the installer in the 1.5.1 version for OS X and then update the installation to 1.7 without running version 1.6 in between?

Thanks in advance,

Neodragon39
The Irish may be lucky, but the Scottish are smart...Thank Heavens I'm both!