Can't run "9 vs Fallen" on MYTH II v1.6

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
The Vile

Post by The Vile »

I have found a more 'practical' solution to the renaming local folder when working on projects issue to be just to have 2 installs of Myth2. One for playing online - with an empty local folder, and one for mapmaking - that has a local folder full of the things I have changed in my project.
All right, for the problem of messing up plugins I'll have no other solution than "getting rid" of my LOCAL folder while for playing the plugins and then returning it when I play in solo...
Also - as far as how to put something edited in Fear 'back into' the plugin/map, you don't have to do that - when you have something you want to play with other people you will need to build a new version of the plugin/map (changing version# or name so as not to confuse people with 2 different maps/plugins with the same name and version#). The plugin will contain everything in your local folder - including the things you have modified. Give the plugin/map to other people and they will have the same modificaitons.
Since I play more solo than online, I mostly modify tags with texts for translation, so if I have to uninstall Myth II and re-install it later, I won't have the gigantic work of re-translating and re-adapting all these things again, and if there's no LOCAL folder the game will read directly from the already-translated tags inside the tag files contained in the TAGS folder (just like the plugin maps access their data from their own tags contained "inside" them - or at least they should do so...). So, after translating all text-containing tags of the game, I'll "entomb" them back into their respective files inside the TAGS folder. Got it now?
To build a plugin with Fear, go to File and you will find what you want there.
By the way, Pyro told me this one above a little ago. So where and how can I learn in some more way to "build" a plugin via Fear?
If ya wanna war, come into! I'll be waiting for you!
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

http://mything.org/index.php?a=article- ... 0000000067 is a good mapmaking tutorial. There's lots of good stuff and some related local vs. tags vs plugins info earlier in the document, but section 5 (V) has specific steps and info about building a plugin.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

The Vile wrote:Since I play more solo than online, I mostly modify tags with texts for translation, so if I have to uninstall Myth II and re-install it later, I won't have the gigantic work of re-translating and re-adapting all these things again, and if there's no LOCAL folder the game will read directly from the already-translated tags inside the tag files contained in the TAGS folder (just like the plugin maps access their data from their own tags contained "inside" them - or at least they should do so...). So, after translating all text-containing tags of the game, I'll "entomb" them back into their respective files inside the TAGS folder. Got it now?
Bad idea. You don't just go about replacing the foundation tags which are located in the "tags" folder. If you do that, you are changing your foundation files and therefore can't play with other people or even run several plugins.
The Vile wrote:By the way, Pyro told me this one above a little ago. So where and how can I learn in some more way to "build" a plugin via Fear?
How about you give it a try, maybe you can see what you need to do once you get there. When you build a plugin Fear does the work. It saves the plugin file in your "plugins" folder. After that you can get rid of your local folder.

By the way, you probably don't need to get rid of your local if you did it right. Meaning the tags you made dont conflict with whatever you are playing. Which I already told you about.
Souly

Re: Can't run "9 vs Fallen" on MYTH II v1.6

Post by Souly »

I will be updating the plug soon but you cant call this a bug if you extract the tags and play around with them...the other thing is this was my first plug and one that i will improve in some moths time to something alot cooler and with alot les bugs.

Thx for playing it hoep you did have fun tho.