Scripters and other skilled myth DEVS WANTED

Talk about anything here.
Zeph

Re: Scripters and other skilled myth DEVS WANTED

Post by Zeph »

crap that got me excited...

to ren : if you're too lazy to upload pictures of your own plugin for advertisement, I guess the project is certainly going to be a failure as this is probably the easiest part of it all
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

He probably just doesn't want to jinx his project. I've been there - as soon as you say "Coming Soon" or post pictures, real life invariably gets in the way.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

I have been asked by projectmagma NOT to post pictures of certain things our Myth IV Dev team has produced.

We have plenty of stuff to show, i just cant show it all yet.
Also NONE of you guys are gonna help anyways. So why go against the "no show" request and show it publicly?

At least I AM trying to get another myth game published.

Nobody else besides the people on the myth IV dev team share that goal.

You all just wanna ride myth 2 content into the end of time....O WAIT!
People are leaving myth 2 at an alarming rate!!!! Look forward to all those great myth 2 plugins when there isnt anybody left to even play them online.

A new title is needed to bring in new players by the thousands and bring old players BACK.

Otherwise your just playing shuffleboard on the titanic as its going down.
Unless you are saying your HAPPY with the current and future state of myth.

-Renwood
Persica purnus constans dum orbis exustio. Exsequor exequor!
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

Renwood wrote:I have been asked by projectmagma NOT to post pictures of certain things our Myth IV Dev team has produced.

We have plenty of stuff to show, i just cant show it all yet.
Also NONE of you guys are gonna help anyways. So why go against the "no show" request and show it publicly?

At least I AM trying to get another myth game published.

Nobody else besides the people on the myth IV dev team share that goal.

You all just wanna ride myth 2 content into the end of time....O WAIT!
People are leaving myth 2 at an alarming rate!!!! Look forward to all those great myth 2 plugins when there isnt anybody left to even play them online.

A new title is needed to bring in new players by the thousands and bring old players BACK.

Otherwise your just playing shuffleboard on the titanic as its going down.
Unless you are saying your HAPPY with the current and future state of myth.

-Renwood
True that, but using myth2 as a base for a myth4 is stupid since we have an even more gorgeous engine(myth3) that needs some tweaking to really be that good. It's pretty hard to convince new players into a 10 year old engine. Myth3 engine could be upgraded to allow more detailed units (2000 polygons+) etc
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Renwood wrote:At least I AM trying to get another myth game published. Nobody else besides the people on the myth IV dev team share that goal.
I'm sure lots of mythers want a m4. Just because someone is aiming to do that and others don't help, doesn't mean those people don't want a success. Nor does it mean they don't want a m4.

Don't assume people make plugins only to extend Myth2's life. People want to create, so they do. Some people wish to play something specific, so they build it to play it.
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

thats all well and good.

The myth 3 engine isnt that great. the cool things it has could be added to the myth 2 engine anyways.

also people DONT LIKE polygonal MYTH units.

myth should ALLWAYS BE SPRITE BASED!
Its part of the "MYTHY" feel
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Renwood wrote: also people DONT LIKE polygonal MYTH units.

I was fine with polygonal units.
What I didn't like was the woeful voice acting and the "walking to work" animation on the units.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

William Wallet wrote:
Renwood wrote: also people DONT LIKE polygonal MYTH units.

I was fine with polygonal units.
What I didn't like was the woeful voice acting and the "walking to work" animation on the units.
This.

3D units would certainly breath life back into Myth. Sure some of the 'hardcore' Myth players might 'pssht' at first, but honestly, can you see anyone spending even $30 on a game that looks like Myth 2, in this day and age?

Sure, maybe some people might, but I will be it will be more of a cult game then Myth II, being, the initial install base of a game like that might be in the lower thousands, and I am willing to bet, out of those, maybe 40% of those would play online, and out of those, it would only be a percentage that would come back to play more then once online.

Then there's the fact that it's a gamble of wether it would even be any good. And what if it's not? What if people move onto it, and then that's the final straw that stops them from playing myth? I know there were people that stopped playing Myth after Myth III's 'failure'.

As much as we might hate to admit it, the majority people like graphics. You'll notice how many games, like Gears of War, sell on graphics alone, and that game sold millions.

Now, when was the last game you can remember that came out and sold remotely well that was this dated? Name me one.

Would 3D units bring tons of people back to Myth? Maybe, probably not an immense number, though that kind of news could be on all sorts of gaming sites and blogs, drawing some interest. However, that's not my point.

My point goes with embracing the old, dated Myth II, and saying that we should stick to sprites, when the sprites will never look as smooth as 3D, and tax computers far more, with less options to tone it down for older computers. This does no good, it just keeps Myth from ever evolving, and keeps it a cult game, where we will rarely see new players.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Right on. There are surely enterprising souls who could either optimise the original models for use in the Myth engine, or create ones that have the same essence and character. The flub with M3 wasn't the move to full 3D, it was just the way that they did it.
Sonixboom

Post by Sonixboom »

i can do the basics of scripting, but i can do alot of other stuff...

you want me to beta test (my schedule is crazy right now)

-Sonix
Anyone interested in joining my clan drop me a line.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Renwood wrote:I have been asked by projectmagma NOT to post pictures of certain things our Myth IV Dev team has produced.
Could someone from projectmagma confirm this statement? (i.e. I am not asking you Renwood, to repeat this claim, I am looking for independant confirmation) I ask because that sounds like a really bizarre request which I could understand if yoiur project used features that weren't going to be available until 1.7 was released, but now that 1.7's out why would PM not want you to post pictures of things you are working on?
Renwood wrote:We have plenty of stuff to show, i just cant show it all yet.
If you have PLENTY of stuff to show, why not show SOME of the stuff? There's no need to show ALL of it. Just show some stuff to get people excited and wanting to help - but wait ...if you posted pictures and people got excited enough to offer to help with your project then you wouldn't have anything to complain about... and if you didn't have the excuse of people not wanting to help you then you'd have no excuse for not finishing the project.... so go ahead and keep putting off requests for proof of the projects awesomeness and alienating anyone who might be interested in helping. Your 'no one will help' complaint is a great self-fulfilling prophecy when you seemingly go out of your way to insult the very people you allegedly are trying to get to help.
Renwood wrote:At least I AM trying to get another myth game published.
I am calling BS on this statement. I really want to see TWindA released and available to play, and I FULLY support your desire and the TWindA team's effort and determination to create ambitious/great new Myth II content, but you are 'trying to get another myth game published'? Please. RELEASE something, then you'll have some cred. Until then - to ME - this is just hot air and delusions of grandeur. YOU can only ride on the coattails of the other members of your project team's outside TWindA accomplishments for so long - show something to convince people that TWindA isn't the longest most hyped vaporware myth project ever and I'll reconsider your claims to be trying to release a new Myth game.
Renwood wrote:Nobody else besides the people on the myth IV dev team share that goal.
You poor poor martyr - there's Renwood, alone in the myth wilderness, bravely blazing a trail of endlessly tweaking projectile trails and physics, never releasing a thing.
Renwood wrote:A new title is needed to bring in new players by the thousands and bring old players BACK.
If you seriously think a new sprite based Myth II Campaign (no matter what you call it and no matter what frosting you put on the pig) is going to bring in "new players by the thousands" you are more delusional than even I thought.
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

vinylrake wrote:Could someone from projectmagma confirm this statement? (i.e. I am not asking you Renwood, to repeat this claim, I am looking for independant confirmation) I ask because that sounds like a really bizarre request which I could understand if yoiur project used features that weren't going to be available until 1.7 was released, but now that 1.7's out why would PM not want you to post pictures of things you are working on?
While 1.7 was in development we asked that no-one release maps with detail-textures until 1.7 was out the door along with the first version of the bungie maps detail textures, but now that that's done people can release detail textures all they want. I don't think there was ever any ban on posting images of detail-textures in action though so that wouldn't have applied to screenshots.

I don't know if there's some specific restriction for The Wind Age, unless it has unreleased Magma units or something, but I wouldn't expect that to apply to images that don't include those units, if that's even the issue.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

To vinyl :
Project Magma can confirm stuff to you only if you confirm your identity as OM.

To every 3d unit haters :

I dont know what the big problem with polygonla units, it seems people think they have very low detail or whatever... WAKE UP its 2010 soon! While I agree that m3 had very undetailed units, these days it's a very different story.
Here are a few ingame screenshots with highly detailed terrain and 3d units!

Dawn of War II : http://www.jugarya.net/wp-content/uploads/warhammer.jpg
http://blog.pricegrabber.co.uk/buttonsm ... een003.jpg

Heroes of Newerth :
http://www.antredefer.fr/geek/hon-heroe ... mg/hon.jpg
http://www.leakerz.com/cms/images/phoca ... th_019.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/2pzmwc7.jpg

To renwood :
Just post screenshots that don't show what you don't want to show ? HUH!!!!!!!!
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Jon God wrote: 3D units would certainly breath life back into Myth. Sure some of the 'hardcore' Myth players might 'pssht' at first, but honestly, can you see anyone spending even $30 on a game that looks like Myth 2, in this day and age?

Sure, maybe some people might, but I will be it will be more of a cult game then Myth II.

There are certainly sprite-based *freeware* games that people play in the thousands, maybe tens of thousands, and which have much more active and vibrant communities than this one. There are even sprite-based independent games that sell for a low price, e.g. Spirit Engine 2, following the freeware success of its prequel. There's nothing wrong with a cult game--though Take2's ownership may be the problem with that plan or any other.
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

I would post more stuff, but if people arent even interested enough to look at what we have so far then i dout they would help anyways.

the best i get so far is "I would like to help but RL is too busy"

maybe ill bother, at this point im thinking its not even worth it.
we have all chosen our respective sides at this point, and only one of them includes helping our dev team. That because those that might help allready have by joining us and helping out.