Running multiple copies of myth.

Talk about anything here.
Khadrelt

Re: Running multiple copies of myth.

Post by Khadrelt »

vinylrake wrote:and who gets to decide who is 'trusted' anyways?
Me.
The cake is a lie.
Deqlyn

Post by Deqlyn »

When the myth dev team is done wasting their time for 2 people who want to run two copies of myth at once can we then port it to my Commodore 64. It would be so helpful for myth to run on that system. Then can we add myth to the 5.5 floppies. Thanks.

Also maybe try sheepshaver.
steelaxe

Post by steelaxe »

the devs thats who.
HAPPY MYTHING!
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

steelaxe wrote:
the devs thats who.
We have decided steel isn't trusted. The rest get the secret.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

All I'm hearing is arguments for running Myth and Loathing at the same time, to help with scripting. This is already possible using two Myth folders. What is the argument for running two copies of Myth at the same time?
steelaxe

Post by steelaxe »

first. DA dont be mean.

and im not wanting to run fear/loathing and myth at the same time. i want 2 myths running at the same time. so i can play vs myself to test online
HAPPY MYTHING!
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

DA, please don't take away SteelAxe's ability to play with himself.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Let me give a viable situation in mapmaking to back up Steel's propostion. I have used this method myself, as I'm sure many of the other scripting 'gurus' have over the years.

You've scripted a solo map. It has a whole bunch of cutscenes and dialog at the start, relevant to the plot in your campaign. After the player in solo mode has seen this stuff the first or second time, they can simply F2 through it to get to the good stuff. This type of setup can really ruin coop play though, as people don't want to sit through the cutscene(s). Using scripting you can set up various 'coop' scripts into your map, in this case to bypass the cutscene. Another use for coopoerative scripting is automatic unit distribution. What if you always want player X Y an Z to get certain units, and you think you've got it set up right, but your buddies aren't around to help check your recent script out?

Firing up multiple copies allows a mapmaker to quickly and easily test their cooperative maps out on a TCPIP connection. I've heard various suggestions to _Remove_ the ability for mac users. At the very least do not do this, but at most, make both versions the same. Mac users have had this ability to run multiple copies since day 1. Bungie's original limitation for it was to include serial numbers with the game, of which there was only 1 per copy. So regardless of how many installs you had, you could only 'dummy' on a local network.

My vote is to make both platforms the same, and if problems arise, the multiplayer code should be changed to restrict one IP to Marius at a time.

Edit: Those Windows user mapmakers with the luxury of more than one computer in their home are allowed to run multiple copies of myth at a time to test their maps, why should those without that luxury be limited in their creative abilities?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I can see a legitimate argument for why a mapmaker/tester might need 2 copies of M2 running at the same time, so I'd be all for allowing multiple copies running on the same machine on any platform M2 runs on.

I can also see though how this could easily be abused if both copies were connected to mariusnet at the same time.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

It is worth noting that allowing only one computer from the same IP on Mnet might cause issues. There are some people that have siblings, children, or friends play with them on Mnet from the same IP.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Pyro wrote:There are some people that have siblings, children, or friends play with them on Mnet from the same IP.
You reckon it's likely those children and friends are going to dummy accounts while they''re over playing with you? I still don't get the big deal. How many times does it have to be spelled out?

Any Macintosh user has had the ability to dummy accounts since day one, and it's not a prolific problem on Mariusnet currently. Why does everyone just assume it would be as soon as you allow it for PC? Have a tiny bit of faith.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

ANY one has the ability to dummy accounts, i think you mean only mac users have had the ability to have more than one account logged onto mariusnet at the same time? from complaints i've seen on the mariusnet forums, it appears to be multiple accounts that are a problem for hosts trying to keep suiciders and other disruptive players out of their games, NOT players logged on with two different accounts simultaneously. it's hard to keep a player out of your game when you wank his account and he just logs off and frejoins your game 30 seconds later from a different account.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

It has been resolved that multiple instances will be allowed.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Graydon wrote:
Pyro wrote:There are some people that have siblings, children, or friends play with them on Mnet from the same IP.
You reckon it's likely those children and friends are going to dummy accounts while they''re over playing with you? I still don't get the big deal. How many times does it have to be spelled out?
Was it hard to understand what I said in that post? When did I mention dummy accounts in it? You said earlier if people are worried about dummying that Myth should only allow one computer from the same IP on Mnet. Then, I stated that this would prevent some people from playing together who do this and are not dummying.
Graydon wrote:Any Macintosh user has had the ability to dummy accounts since day one, and it's not a prolific problem on Mariusnet currently. Why does everyone just assume it would be as soon as you allow it for PC? Have a tiny bit of faith.
The question is whether the benefit of adding this to PC is worth whatever the cost of it might be. As we know there are certain things that come to mind when the devs are considering making additions or changes.

1) How hard is it to add/change the code to do the task?

2) How big is the possible benefit out of this?

3) What problems or side effects can this cause?

4) Does anyone want to bother coding it?

Only the devs can really answer the 1st question. Even then some dev might see it as too hard while another sees it as easy enough to do it. As for the 2nd question, you have said for testing a mapmaker's work where more than one player has to be detected by a script or even for multiplayer testing.

Some have already stated what the answer could be for the 3rd question. That there could be an increase for dummying on Mnet, but it also break something or cause some other issue. I mean look at 1.7. Certain things were added and changed are some of which are barely being found during 1.7.1 development. Not to say the devs should or would stop adding/changing things at the risk of problems. Just that sometimes if the benefits don't outway the costs they just might not bother.

And of course the 4th question. Even if they could easily do it with little to no side effects, if they just aren't interested in that task then this discussion is basically pointless.

So we are back to asking what is the real benefit of this. You did mention somewhere else that if this were to be taken away from Mac users it could impact mapmaking to the point that more people leave Myth. Well not in those words but you get the idea. So with so few mapmakers and ways to test without the need of multiple copies of Myth makes the benefits seem minor. If the cost is high then it might not be worth it. If it isn't well then I guess it won't be an issue.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Melekor wrote:It has been resolved that multiple instances will be allowed.
Aren't they already, through only slightly crafty use of a hex editor?