Testing Myth II 1.7.1 Beta

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
The Vile

Testing Myth II 1.7.1 Beta

Post by The Vile »

People from ProjectMagma, after some reluctancy I've downloaded Myth II 1.7.1 beta and now I'm testing it a bit to find some bug before the final release of this version - I'm using the Windows Modern version. I don't believe it's so buggy, but nonetheless I'm still trying it out! I've found a small bug (I don't know if it's really a bug, maybe it's something new to the port) that happens when a mission/game ends: if you hold the F7 key the upper left edge of the screen displays your team's name, % of alive units, name of the mission and time elapsed; when the mission ends, it displays VICTORY or DEFEAT accordingly, but if you pause the game during this, it shows the elapsed time still running instead of GAME OVER. Well, it may not be that much, but even so I'm taking this into consideration. :!:

Also, the thing I'll talk now is not truly a game bug, but rather an aesthetic detail: if you select a very experienced unit, his status bar displays the number of killed enemies (by shields/skulls) and how many battles he survived (by spear heads), so for example - hypothetically only -, a Bowman survived 3 battles and killed 20 enemies. So my question is: instead of filling up a unit's status bar with lots of shields/skulls and spear heads, can't it simply have a single shield/skull icon with an integer value aside denoting how many enemies the unit killed, and a single spear head icon counting up how many battles the unit fought? I ask this because I don't know if this is possible to be implemented in Myth II v1.7 port or is a hard-coded in-engine game action - if not the latter, I'd like to implement it myself, case possible. Whatever, I await my answer! :wink:

Okay, I'm going for now... PS: Happy New Year and good Myth programming for everyone here! See ya next year!
If ya wanna war, come into! I'll be waiting for you!
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Testing Myth II 1.7.1 Beta

Post by Pyro »

The Vile wrote:... I don't believe it's so buggy, but nonetheless I'm still trying it out!
Are you implying it is buggy? That is some confidence you have on the beta. :wink:

The GAME OVER text replaced by the game time during pause is not a bug, it was intended. It is actually useful when viewing films. If you fast forward without knowing when a certain film ended or if you were on a game and got no idea how long it lasted, you can pause and find out.

As for the experience and levels survived comment... Back in the day there was no number for them, it would keep adding until you could not see any new ones. It was later changed so that it would show the number once it got too full. I don't know what the devs might think of just sticking to the number method from the start.

If you have other 1.7.1 comments or reports, make them on the actual 1.7.1 thread rather then making a new one. It makes it easier for the devs to keep all the issues in one place.
The Vile

Re: Testing Myth II 1.7.1 Beta

Post by The Vile »

Pyro wrote:If you have other 1.7.1 comments or reports, make them on the actual 1.7.1 thread rather then making a new one. It makes it easier for the devs to keep all the issues in one place.
Oops, at that moment I forgot that would be an actual topic for Myth II 1.7.1... Sorry for this mistake, and thanks for the answer Pyro! :D
If ya wanna war, come into! I'll be waiting for you!