Needa help with resources

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
oldblood

Needa help with resources

Post by oldblood »

Hi guys !

I've got a lot of problems, and dont know, where can i go...
1. First, I am full newbie, so dont kill me please :?

2. Second - I am bad in english, so if i am wrong with some words - be leniency please.

3. And the third part - I want to translate all Myth series in my language :oops: ... But I don't understand nothing in those tools which i find :cry: ...

I've got an UnTag, and it shows me everthing in a *.tag files, but when I extracted any from it - I've got a file with no extension, and no player or viewer can open it :? ... And I can't find a way to put my files into *.tag back :!: .

"Fear" is nice, but I can't extract files with it, and it works only with the original Myth II files - not with Chimera or TFL :?: ...

What I'm doing wrong :?: :!: :!:

Somebody, please help me ............ :(
When the sea turns blood red, and stones start to burn,
when the stars are falling down, we are on the storm
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: Needa help with resources

Post by Melekor »

Fear is the main tool for this, it will let you edit tags that contain text:
-"text"
-"string lists"

Chimera is a plugin (in "plugins" folder). Fear does not load plugins.

Fear only edits "tags" and files in the "local" folder.

To edit a plugin you can use UnTag's "extract all" command to extract the plugin's content to your local folder. Then fear can edit them. Once edited, Fear can rebuild the plugin with the File>Build plugin menu command.

There is more to know, but try that first.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

I've been trying to find people interested in translating Myth into different languages. I have some files and have been able to find some people who are interested. Oldblood, what language are you thinking of translating to? I can help you figure out what to do, if you want some help.
oldblood

Post by oldblood »

Thank you for answers.

Pyro
Yes, I am whery interesting in any help, because I had killed more than week with no result, huh :?

I am russian, so the language is the same.
I am interesting in translating the M2, Chimera and the Fallen Lords, but i think to maid some kind of build, which contain Myth 2, the Fallen Levels and Chimera with Bungie textures and qutscens in *.mov - all in russian.

I know, the idea is too big, but it's not unreal, so with some help i can make this
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Russian, good. I had been trying to get some russians interested in the project but they haven't said much. There was one person kind of interested but there was a misunderstanding. I don't know exactly what they meant to say one time and they haven't replied back since.

As for the idea being too big. It really is not that big. One of the changes that Project Magma did for Myth 2 was the ability to make addons. An addon plugin works a little different from other Myth 2 plugins. So we can make a translation addon and you will still be able to play with people that don't have that addon.

I already have some russian files that could help speed things up. However, while the idea is not big, the work involved will take time. I hope you are patient. :) I don't know russian, so I would need someone who knows the language to help fix anything that might be wrong.

Russian TFL Example
Russian M2 Example

Interested in just translating the words, right?
oldblood

Post by oldblood »

Code: Select all

I don't know exactly what they meant to say one time and they haven't replied back since.
Can I know, what was a problem? May be I can explain.
However, while the idea is not big, the work involved will take time. I hope you are patient.
That is not a problem :D . I have some experience in translating games and films - not too big, but nice.
nterested in just translating the words, right?
No, I want to maid full tanslation, including narrator voices and ingame replics (maybe even in intro cutscene - the *.mov file is enouh editable). I think I can do it myself in different voices - they are not so much.
I already have some russian files that could help speed things up
This is quite interesting - where from this files?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Sure, this is the place I was looking for the help of some people that translate games into russian as a hobby.

I'm glad, you are interested in a full translation. Hopefully you can do it right. :wink: As for where I got the russian files I have, these translations were made unofficially by some group that translated the games into russian. I'll zip up those files and upload them when I get the chance.
oldblood

Post by oldblood »

Ouh, great :D
zoneofgames is nice place, and I had seen your post :)

Siberian Gremlin is one of the most people, who making the russifiers, but on the old works of pirates and other unofficials - not himself. As i understand, in his question he means the propertys of containers, in which text and sound files are laying (i.e. - *.tag files) - I think he just dont know about Fear and UnTag.

About russian files - i think there is no need in this. I've got this versions - this is the old Fargus team, who once made the russifier of Myth TFL and Soulblighter. But I can't properly extract needed resources from them - that why I came here to asking help :)

The other reason, why I want to made russifier myself - is not very literary language of their translation, and some other mistakes (thus Shiver is a man - not a woman, e.t.c.)

So, I think this will make our work much easily :)
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Well, if you need any files, let me know. When you change any of the tags in Fear, the tags get saved in the "local" folder inside the Myth II folder. If you open Myth 2 and play in single player, it will use whatever tags you have in your local. So that makes it easier to test out your translation progress.

The text is very easy to edit as you can see in these two examples: Text Tags and String Lists Tags. As you can see in some of those examples some characters are used for messing with the style of the letters.

|i - will make the text use italics
|p - will make the text use plain
|b - will make the text use bold

As for the sounds. With Fear you can open the sound tags and add and remove sounds or even hear them. Once you start messing with sounds, I will give you more information on that.
oldblood

Post by oldblood »

Thank you very much for explanation.

But as I understand, it will be needed first to somehow put russian fonts into game - or it will not see translated text - am I right ?
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

IN SOVIET RUSSIA, GAME TRANSLATES Y-O-U!

(sorry, couldn't resist :-P)
oldblood

Post by oldblood »

GodzFire
Sorry, I am not so good in english, so dont understand correct meaning of remark... :?

But yeah, Godzilla is great, especialy Heisei series.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Godzfire was trying to make a joke. If you go to this page, and scroll down to "Russian reversal" it explains that type of joke.

As for the font, yes you are correct. Without the correct font tags it won't show in Russian. I will look into that, maybe for now use the font tags that come with those russian files you said you already had.
oldblood

Post by oldblood »

Wait, I have got some idea... Is it right, that the Myth 3 has the same architecture? I.e. - uses the tags with the same type of resources?

The deal is that the Myth 3 was once official translated on russian - maybe I can find there some useful resources... The official fonts must be more correct then old pirated
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

That is a good idea. I don't have a russian M3. Use UnTag and open the "small_localized.tag" file found in Myth 3's "tags" folder. Double click on "fonts" so it extracts all the font tags it has. Upload it somewhere so I can take a look and compare with the other font tags.