myth2 1.8 suggestions

Talk about anything here.
oogaBooga

Re: myth2 1.8 suggestions

Post by oogaBooga »

ColonelSandersLite wrote: I know I'm a new face here, but seriously man, how could you think that I made it through both games without figuring that out?
Because many times that has been the case, and I do not believe in dumb questions so i tend to assume new faces dont know it all. Also the method you suggest would replace the keys currently being used for formations, since it sounded like all you wanted was for simply tapping the number key to bring up your preset.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Yea ooga, if you'd read Pyro's post he clairified that already. All this dude is looking to do is swap the key functions for formations with presets and vice versa.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

graydon,ooga is answering a specific question about WHY he originally answered the way he did, e.g. he is is explaining what his thinking WAS at the time he posted his reply, not his current understanding of CSL's intent.
Chicken Berel

Post by Chicken Berel »

I was just thinking about a new engine feature that might be an easy thing to do for the Dev team in 1.7.2 or 1.8

Could there be a save point for films, like how you can save at any point during a saved game? So if there is some event that you want to look at over and over again in say a 2 hour long mazz game, if right before it happens if you could make a save point and load the film at that time index. I was thinking about this because people have said how the films are really the game engine replaying everything that happened during the game. Seems like you could have save points and load films just like single player saved games do.

Just a thought.
Point

Post by Point »

M3 like selection selection boxes... er um circles..... especially since resize of selection boxes is now possible (still trying to make it work well via local projectile groups and physics ;)
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Chicken Berel

Post by Chicken Berel »

Allthough that is kinda cool point i would advise against it. At least in myth 3 it made it a lot harder to select your units. Something like if you tried to select your units with a selection box with the mouse from the top DOWN it often would not select them, because you didnt bring the selection box down far enough for the them to be selected. VS how it is in myth 2 where if you even touch 1 pixel of the unit from the top down with a selection box it will select them.

I dunno maybe yours still works like it does in myth 2, but in myth 3 at least it sucked.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

I hated the M3 selection 'circles.'
The cake is a lie.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

yeah i found it almost impossible to select a single unit in m3 if units were in a clump.
Point

Post by Point »

the click would be the same... in other words the selction box could still be there just not shown the highlight for a player selected unit in my mind just has outgrown the yellow box especially now that resizing of it takes place...

cpr vietnam had it turned off and that always worked well... so thats still and option though would be nice if the health bar maybe had an element to show more clearly which units selected ... (caps lock shows it a bit dimmer currently) just no way with out the box to see friendly blue or enemy red...

one way... lpg over the head or under the feet of the unit when selected that dissapears when not selected... is what i trying to achieve currently vehicles little flag overhead... units circle at the feet ... or rank icon over head... its cool that lpgs can be set to only be seen by player or team.... anyway still working on it... and the m3 things looked good to me, though maybe theres a better way..
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Chicken Berel

Post by Chicken Berel »

Good to hear point, keep up the good work!
I really like the idea of RANK over the head of units!
They had that feature in BFME = Battle for middle earth 1 and 2. It was very handy to make sure in a battle that your super leet vet units didnt get killed and you could pull them out, because you could see where they were.....though also you could see the health under the vet's rank, so unlike myth you didnt need to have them selected to see ther health of them and rank. I guess if caps lock was on to highlight your guys with slection boxes it would work like BFME did.

anyways cool stuff. Any chance we will all be blowing each other up in HD wwii stuff before the end of the year guys? :::Looks at carlinho and point:::

-chicky
Chicken Berel

Post by Chicken Berel »

O yea BTW...Is there a list of recommended system specs for the wwii HD stuff? Do you have a list of tips to get faster performance with the wwii HD stuff? Features to turn on or off, what settings to have. Took me a while to figure out having a huge screen res of 1920X1280 was one of the major factors of me getting LOW FPS. Not to mention I had Vsync ON ~8^(
We dont want to have more HD content get released, BUT people arent aware of the settings needed to get faster FPS on computers that are having problems. So people just give up on the new content.

For me with my mac mini I was unable to play the TWA HD stuff with more then 1-3 FPS
Unlike most people though I had a 2.6 GHZ AMD windows comp with a 256 meg video card and that ran the HD stuff just fine.

Are there some streamlining steps being taken for 1.7.2 or 1.8 to make it so HD sprites will run smoother for people? Or was it the fault of certain video card's drivers
that made the LOW FPS happen with HD content and not really the myth 2 1.7.1 engine's fault? I got my mac mini brand new for christmass 2009, and I was surprised my 3 year old AMD rig left it in the dust with higher FPS running the same HD content.

-Bock Bock
Point

Post by Point »

carl's stuff is running at significantly higher resolutions than mine so specs may differ since i have more elements I just didnt think making it all that resolution would justify the huge download and plug file size... that said.. in a battle with 50 soldiers and 20 tanks on a textured map I'm not seeing any lag or hold ups offline. with macbook pro 2gig of ram 256m video card... cache set at 128 in myth preferences...

back on the topic of 1.8 suggestions I would suggest we get more players to play myth on mnet :)
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Chicken Berel wrote: For me with my mac mini I was unable to play the TWA HD stuff with more then 1-3 FPS...
wait - there's Myth 3 High Def stuff? I am confused, wouldn't 'high def' mean it would have to support the screen res you mentioned you had a problem with, or is this Myth 3 HD stuff only 720p?

ps. did you by any chance mean 1920X1080? that's a standard rez for widescreen HD - 1920x1280 would be the wrong proportions.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Berrel hasn't caught on to TWindA VR, pretty sure he means that when he says TWA.
Point

Post by Point »

smells like peaches