mapmaking contest

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
balor

mapmaking contest

Post by balor »

this is my first contest the rules are that you must post it on the tain the name must start with balor1 and be singleplayer and they must have at least one new unit collection
and must be submitid by january second and the plugin must be under 30 megabytes
I will download them and post the winner on this forum
Graydon

Re: mapmaking contest

Post by Graydon »

Lol.

One month to make a brand new unit and entire solo mission? You clearly don't have a clue what it takes to make a good map. (As a hint, it takes more than 1 month of time)
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »

balor wrote:this is my first contest the rules are that you must post it on the tain the name must start with balor1 and be singleplayer and they must have at least one new unit collection
and must be submitid by january second and the plugin must be under 30 megabytes
I will download them and post the winner on this forum
I take it from your rules that Myth 3 is fine?
balor

Post by balor »

yes myth 3 is fine
balor

Post by balor »

yes myth 3 is fine and I have changed the rules you now have 3 months march2 sorry for the confusion
balor13

Post by balor13 »

since nobodies entering heres an incentive the winner will receive a [beta] version of my new plugin return of the leveler which is a 25 or so level campaign set 940 years after myth 2 when the leveler should appear I am not going to tell you who it is cough ALRIC cough p.s. when i post the winner he should reply back his email address and if there are no entries then nobody wins the plugin :D
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I can't help but read this and Lol.

No offense meant to you at all, you're just a little behind the times lets say :D
balor13

Post by balor13 »

how do you mean
p.s. I can always extend the deadline
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

"behind the times" means you are very late to try to run this kind of contest. there aren't many people making maps these days, and of those who ARE still making maps i am guessing only a handful at most are proficient at creating new units. and from what i know those people aren't sitting around with nothing to do - they are busy on their own projects.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Ha, no I mean behind the times in regards to the fact that Onyx has been developing essentially 'the exact same campaign' you just outlined. 940 years after SB, new leveler, 25 level campaign..full new story.

I couldn;t help but laugh at the thought that I'm seeing deja vu. I'm reminded of Horus on PM.net forums in 2002. Uncannily so.

FYI Balor, OnyxWarlords have been developing a campaign project for 9 coming on 10 years this summer. And it follows pretty well the exact forumula for a campaign that you outlined. It's our version of what Myth 3 should've been. And it's damn high quality. :P
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

9, going on 10 years? that's veering dagerously close to vaporware territory.
sounds like Onyx could use a little healthy competition to get the thing actually released!

ok here's MY contest. first one to release a 10+ solo/coop campaignof reasonable quality based on this concept gets an author-signed copy of the legendary "Myth 2 Handbook" by DeathWhore.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Deadman and Iron are going to win.

That's a pretty fucking sweet incentive though VR, gotta say. Collectible priceless keepsakes ftw!

Edit: Isn't it only considered vaporware when the project has lain completely stagnant for years on end? 9-10 years progress, but there's continual (albeit sometimes very slow) progress over those years. I don't consider it vaporware yet at least, I'm still active and in control of all assets of the project still. Can't be dead!
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

well i don't WANT it to be dead, but 'vaporware' is hard to be black and white about. i mean if something NEVER gets released then obviously in retrospect it was vaporware. and some projects get worked on for years with lots of hype and never get released so to me that's vaporware. 9-10 years is an awful long time for a game mod to be in development - if there have been any kind of even semi-regular beta releases then i am less likely to call something vaporware, but if there aren't any betas or any recent betas i think it qualifies as vaporware - until it is released.

i think getting the title 'vaporware' isn't an irreversible tag of doom - all a project has to do to not be called vaporware is finish and release the project to the the public.

ps. pm me if you have any interest in purchasing your own 'priceless keepsake'.