Mac OS X Lion dual monitor mouse pan not working

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
thecontractor

Mac OS X Lion dual monitor mouse pan not working

Post by thecontractor »

I have myth set to operate on my 2nd monitor. (not mirror display)

It all works just fine except the mouse pan in game (full screen) won't work.

Moving the mouse to the edge of the screen does nothing.

Panning w/keyboard is too hard.

Any suggestions?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Mac OS X Lion dual monitor mouse pan not working

Post by Pyro »

If you just installed Myth2 on that computer or deleted your prefs, it might explain it. Go to Prefs and thend to Controls. Check the checkbox for "Enable Mouse Movement". There are a few other options you can alter depending on how you like your mouse related movements including the "Horiz Mouse Mvmt". It lets you choose how the game reacts when you move the mouse to the sides.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Did it used to work on Snow Leopard, or is this a new setup?
thecontractor

Post by thecontractor »

new setup, was on leopard w/iMac G5

now on Macbookpro, Lion
thecontractor

Post by thecontractor »

Yea, I'm outa ideas. Tried new prefs, tried different settings, its gotta be having a 2nd monitor that disables the feature.

I unplugged the monitor and had myth run on my macbook and it panned with the mouse no probemo but i would really like to use my 2nd monitor to run myth cuz its big :D

any ideas as to how to fix this?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Did you try in in windowed mode but in a large enough resolution to use the two monitors?
thecontractor

Post by thecontractor »

Good idea, I'll give that a try.

I've always played with full screen so I never thought to try it.

New problem likely associated with existing problem now though:

Screen unexpectedly pans hard left endlessly randomly in games.

My monitor is to the right of the computer so my normal desktop is right of the myth fullscreen. Perhaps it does not like a screen with a missing left boarder?

I'll get on the windowed version.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Well, as far as I know Myth2 does not currently support multimonitor fullscreen. I know I can't make it work on the Windows version, but at least in windowed mode it does work.
thecontractor

Post by thecontractor »

so windowed mode still won't allow for panning with mouse movement.

when i unplug the 2nd monitor, there is no problem but thats no fun.

now i got a different problem of random hard left panning.

i use a magic mouse and have been playing with moving with the 'on board' mouse track pad and its fun, but i think it might have something to do with the hard panning.

if it starts panning left out of my control, then the magic mouse can swipe right to make it stop temporarily but if i start moving around then it starts panning again.

once the hard panning starts, i can no longer scroll up and down to move. something fishy is going on with it. for the time being, i'll turn off scroll to move and see if i have issues but have you ever heard of this before?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I have not heard of that before. Well, the only times I might have heard about it panning is because some key is stuck and all they needed to do is press it again to get it unstuck. What resolution do you set Myth at and what resolutions are your monitors set to? You said this was new setup, so I guess you didn't try 2 monitors under Snow Leopard?

I don't see why adding a monitor would mess with input like panning. Maybe the way Myth detects the edges of the screen is bad with a dual monitor setup. Are the monitors setup so there is no gap between their displays or did you leave space between? Did you try having Myth2 work in the primary monitor?
thecontractor

Post by thecontractor »

yea this is a completely new setup.

macbookpro 17inch 1920x1200
24 inch LG via apple dvi HDMI adaptor, 1920x1200

if i set myth to run on the macbookpro's screen, there is no trouble at all.

i assume the hard panning issue wouldn't happen on the MBP's screen either.

its when i select the 2nd monitor as the myth window. there are no gaps, they are the same res and right next to each other.

so i just tried it full screen switch resolutions on the 2nd monitor. no luck on the mouse panning. and the magic mouse panning seems too wacky, it has trouble with stopping the pan, it could be really fun on this mouse with some calibration though.
thecontractor

Post by thecontractor »

so i've decided to just mirror displays. myth is too important to me to be messing around :?
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

You could also take a few sessions of the tutorial and just try to bake the keyboard controls into your head. I havent used the mouse for panning in literally 7 years now. It's so much slower than using the key commands. I pretty much exclusively use WSAD... with the occasional Q or E for orbit, and very occasional Z or X for panning, all of which are very reachable if you've got your left hand positioned one key further left than it should be (middle finger over S)

Really would be work out to your benefit I think. It's not that hard to remember/create muscle memory for.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

agreed. the panning and rotating with the mouse are REALLY impractical on a wide screen. by the time the mouse gets to a corner my units are all dead. then again, they seem to die fairly quickly no matter what i do so the relation may not be causal.
thecontractor

Post by thecontractor »

well i do use the keyboard but i rely on little quick movements with a flick of the mouse upward.

its just a nice option to have, but yeah, i get what u guys are saying.