myth2 1.8 suggestions

Talk about anything here.
MindBrain

Re: myth2 1.8 suggestions

Post by MindBrain »

Pyro wrote: A hotkey to make it really big might be a nice idea, but there seems to be little use for the game like this. Why see the units on the overhead map when you can see them with ease on the actual map? I suppose this could be useful for looking at multiple battles all at once, but you can click on the overhead map to go to each location with ease and if need be, select the units and issue new commands.

Not that it would be bad to add to Myth, just that if it doesn't bring much use it is less likely to be considered by the people coding stuff.
Ok well why not put in a simple implementation, pick a hotkey and choose from 2x, 4x, or 6x map expand from current size. Then if people like it later more options could be given like mouse over, smooth zooming or stuff.

Well I understand features take time to code and the developers can't throw in every idea that people say. But for how simple this idea is and how much easier it would be rather that shift click dragging (which in multiplayer games costs crucial milliseconds as well as ending up with a differently sized map each time!) I can't see why they wouldn't try it.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

i can think of a few reasons a 'simple' change might not get made:

1) it might not be as simple to code the change as it seems
2) developers have things they feel are more important that they are working on
3) only one person has asked for the change
3) no one is interested in making the change

with limited time and resources to make and test changes developers tend to work on aspects of the game that are broken, that people are either complaining about, are needed to be compatible with OSes/GFX-cards, or that a lot of people have been requesting. and if none of the developers are interested in working on a particular aspect of the game it's not going to get done.
MindBrain

Post by MindBrain »

Ok no problem. I'm just putting the idea out there, and if it gets made cool if not oh well. Figure it's better to try posting about it and see what happens, this thread is for 1.8 suggestions right?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Yes it is, but keep in mind the devs didn't ask for suggestions. Someone just wanted to make some and created this thread where others posted their ideas as well.

People tend to discuss things in the forums, so don't take people's disagreements or follow-up questions as a way of saying you shouldn't post.
MindBrain

Post by MindBrain »

Pyro wrote:Yes it is, but keep in mind the devs didn't ask for suggestions. Someone just wanted to make some and created this thread where others posted their ideas as well.

People tend to discuss things in the forums, so don't take people's disagreements or follow-up questions as a way of saying you shouldn't post.
Ok. So I started reading this beginnings of this thread and I see someone mentioned the same idea, at least I think it's the same lol

"An automatically enlarged minimap. I often forget / don't have planning time to enlarge it while it's pretty handy. Would be handy if you could set a preference to do this for you without thinking."

and a reply:

"This was mentioned on the private board weeks ago, by me, so I fully support the above post."

So it appears people are thinking the same thing, or along those lines. Well I won't keep bugging about it, just some of the replies against it really didn't make much sense. Wish the devs had more time to work on myth cause I could make a list of the best advanced options and features, probably easy to implement lol

Does anyone know how the development is coming along? Will they be able to make hosted game settings saveable and loadable?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Actually those posts were made in July 2010 which was long before the release of 1.7.2 in May 2011. In 1.7.2, a feature was added so that overhead maps remember the scale the user last set them at. Before then you had to resize them each time you loaded a map since they started in default size.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

yeah, and the usual disclaimers apply. i am not affiliated with magma. i am not one of the myth developers, my words are just my opinion. and i didn't mean to discourage you from posting your ideas - my comment was merely a reply to your remark that you couldn't think of any reason why developers wouldn't make the change you suggested. i was trying to be helpful.
Dasgiest

Post by Dasgiest »

Only needing to use a single number than Alt + a number would be nice. As long as I do not have more than four preset groups, using the mouse wheel is just as useful. Still, I would rather have more presets then that and feel more comfortable using a single number rather then carpal tunneling my fingers. Cntrl click is strign enough.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

On Mac the preset callback key is command, equivelant to the Windows Key.... thumb + number isn't very awkward at all. I'm not sure if it's allowed on Windows Myth, but can you map your preset callback key to the Win key without it calling up whatever function it's set to in the OS? If yes, that's the easiest solution to your problem. All the single key presses required for a string of presets are all taken up by other commands in myth (like formations).
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Well the Windows key is to the left of Alt, so I think it is easier to press Alt and a number with one hand than to have to make the thumb go further left while the index finger further right to some numbers.

I've never really liked the combo for presets or inventory. While I've never requested/suggested it, I've always wished there was a pref to allow a toggle of sorts. So that the default for number keys is formations. Press Alt and now the number keys are for presets. Press "I" and now the number keys are for inventory.

Though that might be a bit annoying having to set per map, so maybe more than one pref to set the default behavior or even allow the number keys to work for presets while the number pad keys work for inventory.

Or perhaps simplest of all would be to pref to allow Alt to toggle between the 3 modes: Formations, Presets, Inventory. With a message at the bottom stating which mode you just switched to. Could be a checkbox with a list. Click the checkbox and now Alt is a toggle with the selected mode in the list as the default.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I don't know if I would choose "I" to toggle the number keys to inventory - I know it makes sense mnemonically, but it's not a key my fingers are on or near so I'd have to look down at the keyboard to find it. I wonder if just using Alt to cycle between the three (formations, presets, and inventory) with an on-screen indicator which is currently active would work? Or whether since inventory is used by such a small % of maps whether it could be one-step removed like Alt-Shift to 'toggle' number keys to inventory? That might be best since most players will be using presets and formations the most.

I don't play enough to know if this is really practical, but toggling into 'pre-set mode' has great appeal.

I wish you could name your presets like you can name units - so as I am cycling through them (especially when using a scroll wheel) I can see at a glance which preset is selected. [Go ahead, I half expect someone to tell me this has been a feature since 1.6]
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Yeah Shift Alt for inventory toggle would be a better way with Alt being for formations and presets only. On inventory heavy maps players can always stick to the F key or mouse will to cycle presets while having inventory for the numbers.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I don't think Alt can be set as a toggle because of the way Myth treats it for key combinations. :? Maybe the mouse wheel button then? With Shift Mouse Wheel Button for the inventory toggle.
Point

Post by Point »

my stuff uses a lot of inventory ... the mouse wheel or track pad slide worked ok though always cycled through the choices too quickly ...
I use control bar inventory always now and it seems to work great. each item then is just a click away.... :) the only improvement thats missing on control bar inventory is that (NONE) isn't replaced as the first button call out like the name can be in the inventory menu.
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Point

Post by Point »

Point wrote:the click would be the same... in other words the selction box could still be there just not shown the highlight for a player selected unit in my mind just has outgrown the yellow box especially now that resizing of it takes place...

cpr vietnam had it turned off and that always worked well... so thats still and option though would be nice if the health bar maybe had an element to show more clearly which units selected ... (caps lock shows it a bit dimmer currently) just no way with out the box to see friendly blue or enemy red...

one way... lpg over the head or under the feet of the unit when selected that dissapears when not selected... is what i trying to achieve currently vehicles little flag overhead... units circle at the feet ... or rank icon over head... its cool that lpgs can be set to only be seen by player or team.... anyway still working on it... and the m3 things looked good to me, though maybe theres a better way..

one small hurdle to tackle for its use in 1.7 which is sometimes the player lpgs dont always generate at the very start of game... in 1.8 hopefully it could be more than a fear trick and simply how the game now id's your units...
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Here's my only suggestion, and I think it's a change that MANY people would appreciate:

Change the "contested" flag color from gray to something that stands out better, like a CHECKERED flag. I've seen so sooo many games end prematurely because people assumed the flag was contested, when in fact a gray colored player controlled it. I think this would significantly improve the multiplayer experience.

It would be great if earlier versions WERE NOT compatible with 1.8, as well. We are still seeing people on 1.7.0 joining games, and it totally defeats the purpose of others' upgrading. The next upgrade should be forced.

And please don't mess with presets.