Are all Myth plugins available on the Tain?

Talk about anything here.
spongefile

Are all Myth plugins available on the Tain?

Post by spongefile »

I was toying with the idea of adding a link to each plugin into the iPhone app, eg if game X is being played with plugin Y, you could tap on it and it would open a tain page with the search results for that plugin name, which you could then email to yourself for easy download on your computer.

This'll only work if the Tain has all/most of available Myth plugins, though.
spongefile

Re: Are all Myth plugins available on the Tain?

Post by spongefile »

Hmm. Someone's playing a mesh called "WWII:Recon Deluxe Elimination (classic) v1.0", but when I search for that on the Tain, I find nothing. Even if I just search for WWII:Recon I find something that I think is not this. What's the easiest way to find a plugin that someone else is playing?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/wwii-recon

http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/ww2-recon-deluxe

I think whitespace is significant in your search query, hence why you were not getting results. Searching for single words like "recon" works better. But you can also just double click on the red game in Myth II and click on the arrow that appears to find that plugin on The Tain automatically...
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

if it's on the tain... there a few maps played fairly frequently online that aren't in the tain. the latest version (which seems to change every week) of Mazz for example. those generally seem to live only in people's udogs folders.
spongefile

Post by spongefile »

But you can also just double click on the red game in Myth II and click on the arrow that appears to find that plugin on The Tain automatically...
Cool! I didn't actually know that. I'll just add instructions to that effect in that case.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Yea to be honest, I don't see the advantage of sending yourself an email to the plug from your smartphone. If this app ran on your computer it might be a handy feature, but at present I feel it's just adding redundant steps to acquiring the plugin you're after. Like Myrd said - 1 word searches on the tain itself yield pretty good results, and then there's the quick DL button in game as well. And there's literally thousands of plugins on the tain. You'd be asking for a buttload of work to catalogue everything that's already there, and then you'd need to incorporate some method that the app can update itself when new plugins are posted on the site. Sounds complex for very little gain. My observations :)
spongefile

Post by spongefile »

I don't see the advantage of sending yourself an email to the plug from your smartphone.
I don't either, when you can just doubleclick on the game name. :) But in case other people also don't know you can do that, I've now added instructions to do so (and how to install plugins) at the bottom of the Games view.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

if you ever DO decide to do any recataloging of everything on TheTain, let me know, I could probably use the info in one way or another.