Myth TFL Beta 5 CD

Talk about anything here.
dmarcoot

Myth TFL Beta 5 CD

Post by dmarcoot »

Hi,
I was one of the lucky beat testers got who to test Myth TFL beta5. This was one of the last betas of Myth b4 it went out. We were mostly testing bungie.net capacity and what not. It was a fun time. anyways, I still have the mac version of beta 5 on a CD. There were a few things different from the final release, but not many. Trow were louder, i do recall that.

would this beta cd be of any use to to the Project Magma team?
oogaBooga

Re: Myth TFL Beta 5 CD

Post by oogaBooga »

I'm not sure if someone already has a copy of it - i seem to remember SOME beta CD for tfl.. but now that you mention it it may have been beta 4. I'm sure the collector types (myself formerly one such type) would love to have it for posterity's sake. Maybe talk to mel/iron/myrd/whoever about putting it up on their hotline server.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Yes please! I am a 'Myth Historian' if you will, and we do NOT have a copy of Beta 5. It would be wonderful if u would upload it.
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

how big is this beta 5? is it still playable or maybe it was time limited ? (just like latest Myth II Magma updates )

how about uploading this on The Tain and changeing authors name to Bungie ?
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

It shouldn't be on The Tain for legal reasons.
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

bah, right, thats proly almost rdy product not a demo - thx for pointing this and sorry for starting mischief... : )
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
dmarcoot

Post by dmarcoot »

It was almost certainly a time limited install from what I recall. I think it died the month before Myth was golden master.

I haven’t looked at the CD itself in years; it may be a hybrid Mac OS/pc install. I don’t recall. Whether that could be worked around to trick it to install I don’t know. It was just the multiplayer maps, a few of which did not ship with the final myth (which was sad), but now are available as plugins as part of the TFL map pack.

I certainly would not want to cause any legal problems with Project Magma. I thought that it might be note worthy in the myth evolutionary record.

As for size, it couldn’t have been terribly large as we weren’t given the single player game elements.

At very least, I could scan in the CD disc art and submit that.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

However the tain isn't the only possible place it could go. I'm sure there are at least a few Myth historians willing to risk* holding on to it in their private collections in order to preserve it until the legalities are sorted out.

*it's a beta of a 14-year-old game for crying out loud, no one is going to care.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I'd be happy to keep a backup copy in the archives just so it's not lost forever.

For obvious legal reasons I couldn't make it publically available, but if it is a time-limited demo that won't even install, I can't imagine there are really many people who would even want a copy.
dmarcoot

Post by dmarcoot »

I will look it up in my software file and rip it to my HD this weekend. From there I will find an appropriate way to preserve it that wont involve Project Magma or the Tain.
capital

Post by capital »

Windows 95 FTW!!!!!

I think a virtualized environment is the way to go on this install.
dmarcoot

Post by dmarcoot »

I found and ripped the CD to a Mac DMG file. I could create a zip archive as well for PC users. It was a hybrid install. The total file size is about 300 MB. I need to take a photo of the CD for the CD art to included and am writing a brief intro read me to go along with about my recollections of the beta 4 test.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

So..? Does anyone have beta 5?
a few of which did not ship with the final myth (which was sad), but now are available as plugins as part of the TFL map pack.
Mystery TFL multi maps?