Myth 1.8 suggestions REVISITED

Talk about anything here.
iron
Site Admin

Re: Myth 1.8 suggestions REVISITED

Post by iron »

Its not just the splash screen - if a larger size was introduced it'd have to be supported right through the whole user interface. As Myth's dialog system was created with fixed pixel locations & sizes for each element, that would not be a trivial challenge to support programmatically, to say nothing of all the artwork required.

But no, I guess the devs prefer making script enhancements like you said :roll:
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Plus if you don't want a postage-sized startup screen you can just set Myth to change resolution when you startup. Wallah! Giant pixelly crow filling your entire screen.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

I agree the formation thing needs to be fixed or at least investigated. We've talked about it a bit and brainstormed a few ways to make it work more predictably, so at this stage it's probably worth trying to make a test build for some various options and solicit feedback on how they work in practice.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

iron wrote:Its not just the splash screen - if a larger size was introduced it'd have to be supported right through the whole user interface. As Myth's dialog system was created with fixed pixel locations & sizes for each element, that would not be a trivial challenge to support programmatically, to say nothing of all the artwork required.
I've multiple times volunteered to do the entire artwork overhaul if someone would take care of the programming side. But as I said, I was met with the response of that they don't feel it would be worthwhile for the amount of time it would take, that and it's not 'fun' to program a UI, as opposed to something else like a new map scripting action.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

not to play devil's advocate too strongly here but how long do you have to look at the Myth II startup screen? 3 seconds? 5 seconds max everytime you start up Myth before you click the New Game or Multiplayer Game button? so how to choose between making a change that will effect 5 seconds of time that has nothing to do with gameplay vs. changes that improve the game's visuals or fix gameplay bugs or add features that could effect all of a player's gaming time? no brainer.

the amount of work to amount of benefit is disproportionately large (on the work side) because the benefit is MINISCULE.

Why not offer to change the Myth 2 themesong that plays at startup and ask Magma to change that? I am sick of that same song playing everytime I start up Myth. I mean I turned it off cause I was so tired of it but it would be nice to have some different music playing for the 5 seconds between when the splash screen is displayed and I click the new-game button. Can we add that the 1.8 suggestions?

[I realize this might sound snarky Godz, but you are coming across as passive-aggressively whining. Devs told you they aren't interested in something you would like to change and instead of accepting it or trying to start a poll to gauge public interest and lead a campaign to change the devs minds you are just sniping and acting as if just because YOU are willing to do the part you can do that they should jump at the chance to implement your idea - as if they owe you something. You are complaining about the devs insinuating that they won't make your change just because they only want to do things that are 'fun'. Give it a break. A) So what? They aren't being paid, they can work on whatever the hell they want they don't owe you or me or anyone ANYTHING. B) While working on Myth2 in general might be fun, as a programmer NOT INVOLVED IN MAGMA I can assure you that lots of the things they have done to make the game run or run better were not 'fun'. So just give it a rest]
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

VR I wasn't talking about just making the Main Menu bigger, I meant doing the whole shebang. And that music example I don't think really works because I'm not asking for a change to something that Myth never had (different music), but instead something it already has (the interface) for the better.

If my comments seem veiled with hidden meanings or agendas, I apologize. I'll just try to say the following as concretely and openly as possible:

- I think Myth would benefit from refreshing the out-of-game UI to work better with larger, modern-day monitor resolutions
- I've gone through the interface materials we have, and am confident I could create said graphics
- Programming would be required for these new materials to be used. Based on the amount of work needed to make this happen, I was told that their time would be better spent, and would be more enjoyable for them doing, other additions to the game like new map scripting additions
- I am disappointed by and personally disagree with this decision, however that does not change anything.

I honestly don't want any drama, I already have too much stress to deal with and I really don't want more from something I enjoy. :-) So let's just move on, what do you say?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

That's a very clear, insinuation-free explanation of your point of view.

Thank you.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

From a MWC thread:
By the way, if everyone wants a good idea to really add something new and awesome, here is one:

Make a new gametype, call it King of the Map
It works just like a combination of territories and king of the hill. Territories flags, king of the hill time keeping for all of them.

Go send that to Magma.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I am pretty sure you can make that kind of game by just putting more than one KotH flag on a map.

although now that i think about it, the time in that case would be for _any_ map 'owned', not cumulatively totalled for multiple flags owned - so a team gets the same amount of time-points whether they own one flag or several.
SamualACarver

Post by SamualACarver »

I think it would be cool. So it would be like if you owned 3 flags you would earn time 3X faster, right? So it could be that you either own one flag for a longer time or multiple flags for a shorter time, and end up with the same amount of time?
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

That I think was always the big thorn in the Myth engine's side.

Very limited gametypes. Sure we do have some very interesting ones via scripting (Fetchball, MythCHESS, Clue, etc) what you can do is very much limited by the cmap, and already existing gametypes.

Having some working gametype map actions could work wonders. (Resetting team-time, adding/removing points, rounds-based gametypes (1 flag CTF, assault...), switching gametypes mid game (would be interesting to have a 20 minute game that switched between multiple gametypes every so often), another thing I'd like is a bodycount style game that just gives you the points based on kills (the way to make this fair is to make the unit trading cost the points given for a kill), not just damage done...

Anyways, I looked into some of this, and it's not as easy to code into the map actions as I would have hoped, (at least for coding noob me). But maybe someday!

I'm Jon God, and I approve this message.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

What I like about the KotM suggestion is that it could possibly (hopefully!) be made to use Terries flags. In other words, every map that supports Terries would also support the new gametype with no changes required.
Point

Post by Point »

doesn't KOTM already work just put 10 koth flags on a map each one will add to time... look at recon with its two flags..

since CWR and WAVA games are light vs dark OZ scripting helped me come up with raise and lower flags so the flags are contested blank flag pole, team 0 or team 1's flag ... blue/gray nazi/american etc... A script template for it would be cool for 1.8
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

adrenaline wrote:
2. more intuitive unit formations. for example: when your bowmen line becomes out of formation, and you try to reform them into a staggered line... the units should logically move to the closest spot to them in the formation. however, this rarely happens. instead you usually see this happening:
with one (or more) unit(s) going from one end of the previous line to the other end. surely there is a way to fix this! :)
I totally agree with this one, as its probably the only 'major' frustration I experience when playing Myth.
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

Dear boss,

Iron // Melekor,

for a unit to "speak", (box dialog). I need to in "fear" create folders : text, string list, sound and only then to in "loathing" to make the links in the "map action".
in "Myth 1.8 suggestions revisited", you could make a device or create one method more easier for us to make a dialogue with the units?

Julio.
Last edited by juliocpaes on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.