Using hannibal tactics in Civil war game

Talk about anything here.
luckylegs10

Using hannibal tactics in Civil war game

Post by luckylegs10 »

Plugin used was Civil War tagset with Map pack A. An awesome map called Skirmish.

This is a neat video to watch. You'll probably never see anything like this on youtube as far is duplicating ancient tactics. What I did was employ the hannibal crescent fomation to crush superior forcess. It worked.

Video in 1080P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlOgryCyOKE

Again, hope this video inspires you to download this awesome plugin. Your imagination can do incredible things.
A-Red

Re: Using hannibal tactics in Civil war game

Post by A-Red »

Nice work!
luckylegs10

Post by luckylegs10 »

A-Red wrote:Nice work!

Thanks, but we'll will see if I can duplicate the same outcome. So far I haven't been able to.

Some people roll up canons (with canister fire) behind them defeating the cav charge. Each game always plays differently.
luckylegs10

Post by luckylegs10 »

Here are the very saame tactics with a different outcome as I was saying...

Attempted Cav to cannon rush disaster video
Don't laugh. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TluLdIjXKSc

Never get tempted to rush canons. :lol:
luckylegs10

Post by luckylegs10 »

You'll find the tactics can be used in all sorts of battles.

Yankee (ARMY) is still under the impression that long range cannons decide the battles, so he finally decided to give taking a better position (on a hill position-like me) (KOH) was in his best interests.

Movie: Gettysburg clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE-BKmlr3OI

I'd like to thank Point for making this one gem like Empire Total war. He only has one good field map for it, and I would love to see him make the Gettysburg field.
Last edited by luckylegs10 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
luckylegs10

Post by luckylegs10 »

I was able to convince a top rated player (Blorg) to download this plugin and he was able to beat my hannibal vice grip 6x in a row with max cannons. Later I made some adjustments and the tide slowly turned.

But in a 2x2 where all kind of weird stuff happens, what will be a deciding factor?

2x2 in 1080P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLVkPH_YZrw

Some people keep cav back to guard their cannons- which is really important. But some people don't. And its a hard choice to decide upon. It is a bit scary when your cannons are being flanked. But its also scary to have your frontline ripped apart.

Anyways, I'm sure blorg will just get better and better. Yankee got some good points in this win and I won back what blorg took earlier :). Blorg is going to be a contender.

LN was just on the wrong side of flag at the wrong time.
Last edited by luckylegs10 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

wow, really surprised that someone knows who hannibal was and even more that he used a crescent shaped formation at Cannae!

the difference is that war was mostly pure melee at the time, whereas civil war plug is mostly fire weapons, and he didn't use the crescent with the center retracted but the crescent with the center as a vanguard
the real idea of his crescent formation was to delay the push-back of his center by the far superior infantry the romans had, to give time to his cavalry to defeat the roman cavalry, and to give time to his pikemen to surround the crescent shape on both sides, so when the romans pushed his center, he encircled them with the pikemen + the cavalry which by that time had routed the inferior roman cavalry

crazy all in all, probably if he fought the battle 10 more times he couldn't repeat it again and again, as timing in a battle is everything

still, amazed that you know the fact that hannibal deployed that kind of formation
super cool :wink:

for the civil war plug though I would use napoleon tactics, or at least keep your riflemen engaged 100% before sending your cavalry, or they'll be mincemeat
damn, now I want to play too...haha
maybe next weekend I'll search for you guys on mnet
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
luckylegs10

Post by luckylegs10 »

carlinho wrote:
the difference is that war was mostly pure melee at the time, whereas civil war plug is mostly fire weapons, and he didn't use the crescent with the center retracted but the crescent with the center as a vanguard

I do believe archers were a big part of the battles by flinging arrows into the center.

The Romans were not dumb after that. Hannibal victory taught Rome a great lesson. Rome outsmarted hannibal... by sailing to his home and sacking it. Can't be defending it if at the gates of Rome?

I have a video of using a vangaurd- though forgot if I won or not.

This top player Blorg beat up my hannibal tactics 6x in a row with max cannons and a scout?

I'll see if I can find the vanguard video.
erileykc

Post by erileykc »

One problem with ascribing any historical tag to tactics in Myth is that the unit elements aren't always in accord with historical capabilities. Leaving aside truisms like the effectiveness of pincer movements. While Point and the others involved made a Herculean effort in creating these plugs some elements like the virtual invincibility of cavalry even against massed infantry makes it difficult to play the games as true war games. Whittling the game time down to 5 -6 minutes also makes for less of a war game experience. The distributing of officers to provide added 'steel' to units as evidenced in the increased accuracy of artillery when accompanied by officers is a great example of this sort of war gaming potential as originally built but of course a 6 minute game has to shed that kind of detail. Not a bad Myth game of course, just not the best Civil War battle emulation experience of balancing troop movements and unit deployments in that scenario.
carlinho wrote:
for the civil war plug though I would use napoleon tactics, or at least keep your riflemen engaged 100% before sending your cavalry, or they'll be mincemeat
damn, now I want to play too...haha
maybe next weekend I'll search for you guys on mnet
Yankee
luckylegs10

Post by luckylegs10 »

erileykc wrote:Whittling the game time down to 5 -6 minutes also makes for less of a war game experience. .

You must understand that there is limited time to capture any hill position, and holding it is another matter. 6 minutes is hard enuf to hold it. Nobody can hold it for 15 min. I would just blast you will all my cannons.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

one more thing myth lacks is moral and routing units, like for example total war has, and that's a big example of how battles were won or lost most of the time or units getting tired
in myth wins whomever has more units standing and whomever can inflict more real damage to the enemy
on real battlefields moral + fatigue play a really important role
& really nice you are trying real tactics, pretty cool
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
luckylegs10

Post by luckylegs10 »

carlinho wrote:one more thing myth lacks is moral and routing units, like for example total war has, and that's a big example of how battles were won or lost most of the time or units getting tired
in myth wins whomever has more units standing and whomever can inflict more real damage to the enemy
on real battlefields moral + fatigue play a really important role
& really nice you are trying real tactics, pretty cool
Carlinho, I have played all the total war games and the battle is mainly over in 10 minutes if your are lucky. And if you begin to retreat from a fight all of a sudden everyone loses heart and runs. A feature that I didn't like.

I must hand it to Point this is the best map for a total war experience. All kind of tactics can be deployed.

Blorg must of watched my videos before he put the beat down on my long line hannibal crescent, but the tide is turning.

Blorg is ranked at 22. A natural for beating stuff????

I used that Vanguard tactic on him but have no idea if that ruined his formations or not. There was a funny accident on his side, though, but who is to say 3 cannons could turn the tide.

Vanguard in 1080P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thxvq0mgu94

I must say I have found him very challenging.

Pickett's charge video clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRZj48Ys ... re=related

Please Point make a map like that. Also, on Gen Lee's tactics... I was spread out in a long line, too, and I got spanked by Blorg concentration up middle.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

carlinho wrote:wow, really surprised that someone knows who hannibal was
Yea he's the guy who enjoyed skinning people right?
luckylegs10

Post by luckylegs10 »

GodzFire wrote:
carlinho wrote:wow, really surprised that someone knows who hannibal was
Yea he's the guy who enjoyed skinning people right?
'

Hannibal is the one who slaughterd 50,000 Romans in a single day with an elephant charge.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

More about the crescent tactic & its use in history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pincer_movement

Btw I think you would have won that 1st battle with a standard long line (or lines). It wasn't the formation that gave you victory, but the fact that all your units were in place ready to unleash their full firepower, while the enemy wandered up the middle (with no-one on the flanks!!) in piecemeal fashion.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder