Myth Kickstarter Project

Talk about anything here.
DarthRevan555

Re: Myth Kickstarter Project

Post by DarthRevan555 »

A simple FAQ would have been nice.
Insert text here.
Divine entity of map making.
Undefeated god of 1v1 map making contests that have yet to happen.
Insert massive ego here

Someone tell this guy to stop having so many signatures
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Spending time filming and producing a video instead of just providing the information is imo an example of misplaced priorities.

If the team is serious about getting support and raising money, they need people to donate ASAP and spread the word about the project. The longer questions go unanswered the more it increases the perception that the team doesn't have the answers, or doesn't care. (Not a criticism, just an observation on human nature - when there is a void of information people make up their own) The team needs to focus on getting people the information they need to make good decisions about the project, not on editing and producing a slick video.

If the answers to a lot of the questions were already known they could have been provided quickly and simply, instead of being delayed for a week for the team to get together and film and produce a video project update. If the questions hadn't already been thought out by the dev team or the answers weren't known, then I don't think the team was really far enough along in their planning to be asking for such a large sum of money OR for people's 'trust'.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

Hmm make a video?!
I find that it will not reach the objetive. they will go speak only what they want, and not what we need know.
if they will produce a video, make a "remake" in serial of amateur movie : "Myth: Avon's Hope" would be much better.
Provided that, they be good actors. :D
Last edited by juliocpaes on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

Road wrote:Ditto.

Last I heard there was to be an updated video soon. Ren and Ooga came over to my place to shoot some footage for the project. That was like three days ago but I know they where going to try to cover more on there end.

The video was to answer many questions people had on the KS site.
PLugins requiring half a million dollars are certainly in need of lucid explanation to the backers.
toe
Road

Post by Road »

Naw, I think every plugin should get a million dollars :D
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

juliocpaes wrote:Hmm make a video?!
I find that it will not reach the objetive. they will go speak only what they want, and not what we need know.
if they will produce a video, make a "remake" in serial of amateur movie : "Myth: Avon's Hope" would be much better.
Provided that, they be good actors. :D
explanations in video ?! they will speak only inane babble. I just believe seeing. :|
shark driving a bus

Post by shark driving a bus »

I will gladly donate $500 if I get to design my own unit. I love unicorns and think that we need a myth unicorn unit. But regular unicorns are too old and outdated, so we need a different kind of unicorn that appeals to the wide range of interweb denizens that we are going to be marketing the game to. It should also reflect the game's development and design team.

In preparation for my role in this glorious release, I've drawn up some concept art:

Please contact me with copies of your initial 3D model of this unit.

Sincerely,

TB

ps:

spa

Post by spa »

Here, http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/103 ... e_location is an excellent example of a project that hopes to use kickstarter to reach their goals.

I find it to be well thought out, reasonable in scale and scope, succinctly communicated, and something I would be proud to be associated with. Of paramount importance to me is the notion that money will be spent on an excellent cause that benefits a wide-reaching and multi-generational community.

Here, on the other hand http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/142 ... e_location is an example of someone who is hoping to use kickstarter for - what appears to be - personal gains. He does not appear to have factored into his offering that no rational person would consider funding such a cause, and no one other than himself is the least bit interested in helping him.

If you compare the two - you can see that the first project is likely to meet their financial target - early and with promise of surpassing it. The second project hasn't raised a single dime, and the window is closing fast.

Which one of these most resembles the project we're all discussing?
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

bah
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

The inmates are officially running the Asylum.
spa

Post by spa »

I think the inmates have been running the asylum since Conner and Co. started coding mariusnet
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Just because you say you are the King of France doesn't mean you aren't crazy.
Vindicator

Post by Vindicator »

Quality takes time.

We will post some links as they go live.

Should be tonight.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

People care about the quality of the information, not the quality of your video.

Any project team asking for large sums of money should be able to answer some of the basic questions people have been asking since the project went live in less than a week with more detail than "trust us, we've thought of that". Whether you have thought about the questions or not so actually have the answers, I am sure the long delay in providing answers (half the length of the entire fundraising campaign) makes people less likely to donate or trust you because the delay makes it appear that you either:

a) didn't have the answers so are taking the time now to think about the questions and are working on coming up with the answers (which would seem to indicate that you hadn't thought of these basic issues which are integral to your project being a success before starting your campaign)

b) had/have the answers but for some reason don't want to (or don't feel you need to) answer questions from people you are asking to donate to your campaign

c) you have the answers but are more concerned with the quality of your video presentation than getting people the information they need to feel comfortable investing in the project in time for them to invest in the project and share warm fuzzies with their friends.

I've tried to think of all the possible reasons and motivations for why there haven't been any answers yet, but I could have missed something. If there's an option I've missed I am open to hearing it, but I honestly can't think of one.

and before anyone gets all defensive and blames me for just being a hater or having issues with parts of the team, please remember that despite a personality conflict and my issue with the name of the project, I stepped in and supported the previous TWindA project even setting up a folder and ftp account on mything.org at the last minute for Ren to use so he could distribute the FinalTagset on schedule when his previously planned hosting arrangement fell through. (He ended up using a different download site, but that doesn't change my willingness to step in and act to support a myth project - even if I do have issues with people involved or aspects of the project itself).

So - that said - when I have enough information to feel confident I know exactly what a project is going to be, and that the project has a reasonable chance of being completed successfully I will gladly assist in or donate to the project. I would *love* to donate to a Myth project like TWindA and get some cool swag - not being sarcastic - but despite frequent questions by myself and others there have been next to no answers, and no useful answers at all. I ask the questions here because I am not going to donate a token amount to the project just to ask these questions on your kickstarter site, and at this point in time give the circumstances I don't feel there's really any need or value in raising these issues that might seem overly negative or critical on your kickstarter site.

So answer the questions asked by myself and others or not, it's your choice, but if I am not your target demographic (long time Myth player, spends money every month to support myth community, has disposable income) I can't imagine who is.
WinterWolf

Post by WinterWolf »

Never posted here before, but seems as good a time as any...

I've played Myth TFL since it was first released, and was quite excited to see a Myth kickstarter project. Sadly, a quick glance at the kickstarter page reveals a project that is either a scam or created by very naive people.

I really like your Marathon and Myth work, Ooga. Unfortunately, this kickstarter is quite disappointing in how vague it is...

The discussion seems a moot point though, given the rate at which the kickstarter is not getting funded. :roll: