Myth Kickstarter Project

Talk about anything here.
punkUser
Site Admin

Re: Myth Kickstarter Project

Post by punkUser »

spongefile wrote: 4. Would a Kickstarter clearly and only devoted to buying Myth rights and making them open for all to use as they wished have a chance? (Again, I still wonder what the possible price range might be.)
If this was the entire goal, and we had a price agreed upon by Take 2 I would certainly donate to something like that. However we wouldn't really need kickstarter (and the cut that they take) for that simple money pooling.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Well they finally got around to posting an update that actually addresses some of the obvious questions posted, a shame that it was AFTER the project expired: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/myt ... rter/posts

Particularly interesting is the notion they seem to have that PM would let them use the code/versions that they made and not start with the first PM non release, which is 1.3.
spongefile

Post by spongefile »

punkUser wrote:[ had a price agreed upon by Take 2 I would certainly donate to something like that. However we wouldn't really need kickstarter (and the cut that they take) for that simple money pooling.
In a technical sense, no, there are other and cheaper ways of money pooling. Then again, currently Kickstarter has a sizeable audience and momentum. From the comments on this controversial Kickstarter it looks like at least some cash came from people completely unaware of this community.
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

Can someone lock this thread mb, let it die :)
Insert text here.
Divine entity of map making.
Undefeated god of 1v1 map making contests that have yet to happen.
Insert massive ego here

Someone tell this guy to stop having so many signatures
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Re: the assumption that Magma would have no problem with Ooga and Ren using their work on the plugin... I'm guessing Ooga would probably throw around some more passive aggressive threats about 'telling Take 2 what you've been doing' until Magma capitulates, or something.

Not only is it a very petulant attitude to have, but it's also not exactly much of an intimidation tactic. Take 2 wouldn't give a fuck.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

William Wallet wrote:Not only is it a very petulant attitude to have, but it's also not exactly much of an intimidation tactic. Take 2 wouldn't give a fuck.
I am not expressing an opinion one way or the other whether your guess about what Ooga would do or not, but for the record let's keep in mind that your criticism is of just your GUESS of what ooga would do in a hypothetical situation.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

"but for the record let's keep in mind that your criticism is of just your GUESS"

Well the thing I'm talking about (talking about complaining to Take 2, as opposed to actually doing it) is something he's already done in this very thread.

As for his motivations though, you'd be right that I'm only guessing. On reflection it's probably more likely that he brought up Take 2 as a means of throwing his weight around. Moot point as I'm willing to beat that they really don't give a shit either way.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

"And the limit is completely arbitrary, meaning it could easily be raised, but Magma is too scared to do it"

Hahaha.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

William Wallet wrote:Re: the assumption that Magma would have no problem with Ooga and Ren using their work on the plugin...
Right and to be clear I don't think anyone here has a problem with them using the latest released version to make a cool plugin, asking for new features, etc. It's a combination of demoing 1.8 features and acting like they were the ones who did them and assuming that if they got the money PM would just be more than happy to work for them that bugged people ;)

Also I do fear the global repercussions of changing Myth limits, so they're spot on there.
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

I might be showing my ignorance of the technology here but is it really as simple as just saying 'increase the unit limit'?
Road

Post by Road »

DarthRevan555 wrote:Can someone lock this thread mb, let it die :)
Well the KS is over and the conversation is out of text a tiny bit. Could always start a new thread if people wanted to discuss some of the other issues at length.
William Wallet wrote:Re: the assumption that Magma would have no problem with Ooga and Ren using their work on the plugin... I'm guessing Ooga would probably throw around some more passive aggressive threats about 'telling Take 2 what you've been doing' until Magma capitulates, or something.quote]

I must have missed that post... or just skimmed over it. Did Ooga actually threaten Magma with that?
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Road wrote: I must have missed that post... or just skimmed over it. Did Ooga actually threaten Magma with that?
Not in those exact words, but close:
http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewto ... =45#p60850
William Wallet wrote:I might be showing my ignorance of the technology here but is it really as simple as just saying 'increase the unit limit'?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no, depends on the situation. But if there was no reason for there to be a limit, then there would never have been one in the first place.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

One pretty clear example of what happens when you just arbitrarily raise limits is Ren's post in the other thread where he mentions that his dual core computer only gets 15FPS when he's playing/watching a big battle and he's superzoomed out.

15FPS? For a 14 year old game running on hardware that is probably 100x faster than anything available when M2 was released? That's crazy. Sure you could argue that everyone could upgrade to quad core or octocore machines or whatever, but we all know that's not going to happen.

imo that example is precisely why Magma doesn't just go all pie-in-the-sky and max everything out, they are intentionally serving the Myth community - treating the myth community as their 'customer base', and they are trying to keep Myth running for their customers. They could easily max things out and make a version of Myth that only people with top of the line gaming hardware could run without freeze-frame graphic rates, but there goes 90%+ of currently active mythers - and non-mythers with that kind of gaming hardware are running new truly high-rez games with realistic lighting and sound and particle systems they aren't going to be lured to play a 14 year old sprite-based game.

so we all owe magma for keeping myth playable and for not balkanizing the community into different groups based on the hardware we can afford.
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

The amount of childishness and hypocrisy evident from everyone here is astounding. Vinylrake, although he doesn't have all the facts, has been the only slightly constructive critic here. You all definitely deserve not to have a new Myth game, and i'm glad to know you all lack the ambition and cohesion to do it - because you'd run it like an orwellian dystopia. Have fun, kids.
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

GodzFire wrote:Well they finally got around to posting an update that actually addresses some of the obvious questions posted, a shame that it was AFTER the project expired: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/myt ... rter/posts

Particularly interesting is the notion they seem to have that PM would let them use the code/versions that they made and not start with the first PM non release, which is 1.3.

Magma has absolutely no say in who gets to use anything made for the Myth engine.

There is no "asking" magma for anything. You presume that you are in the loop or even needed.

Take 2 owns every scrap of code you put into the Myth engine. Do you disagree? I'm sure you do, but is your disagreement based in reality?

The law says no. I wanted to bury the hatchet but you seem to think i'm ashamed of my position and attempt to use it against me, as if I "came crawling back".

Let's get something nice and sparkling clear: I dont owe you anything. I don't feel the least bit remorseful for making the stand I did against your ignorant blatherings. I gave you respect for a long time when I wasnt getting any back, so if you want to call my decision to treat you as youve been treating me "proof" that i'm satan, go ahead. You can only believe what someone tells you, based on the hilariously misinformed posts in this thread.

I know who you get your opinions from, and you'll do anything to say they are your own and no one else's. It's pathetic. I was done with the kind of forum games you thrive on back when creation was still relevant.

If I thought this community was anything but a brick wall i'd stay and tell you why you're all wrong - but we've already found out that facts dont really enter into this equation. You've made your decision to cling to childish grudges very evident, and that is why I wont mourn you.