Who owns the rights?

Talk about anything here.
Jon God

Re: Who owns the rights?

Post by Jon God »

The other thing is the Myth series sold over a million copies. Which means it has _some_ value in a re-release, which makes it a harder proposition to freeware it.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
HulkSmash

Post by HulkSmash »

This saddens me. As soon as Bungie in the past got bought out my Microsoft and got rid of the rights to Myth, i knew Myth was doomed. Myth 3 wasn't very good, so much missing from the originals. And now Take 2 won't even bother giving it another chance. Myth till this day is still one of the all time best games i've ever played. Sad it won't get a proper sequel. But I can always be wrong. And in this case. I really wanna be wrong.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

I am always keeping my ear to the sky, in case something changes.
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

I wonder how creative Nightdive was with their pitches, I wonder if T2 would be any more receptive during this time of economic slowdown.

Like, whether it's transferring the rights, or just licensing them, instead of up-front money, would T2 do it for a small percentage of gross sales?
For manuals and tips about Myth, visit http://tinyurl.com/MythGuides
paladin MAIK

Post by paladin MAIK »

jason_ac wrote:I wonder how creative Nightdive was with their pitches, I wonder if T2 would be any more receptive during this time of economic slowdown.

Like, whether it's transferring the rights, or just licensing them, instead of up-front money, would T2 do it for a small percentage of gross sales?
More than 5 years ago, I sent e-mail letter to Stephen Kick from Nightdive. Naturally, he then simply ignored me and did not even give any answer.

Nightdive Studios buys gaming rights mainly "Shooters" (like Turok, Sin. System Shock and over). I read an article about purchase the rights of System Shock 1 and 2. It was more like a tragedy + comedy, because poor Stephen decided to play an old game on a business trip, but could not start on his laptop. As a result, he bought the rights to the series from a completely forgotten company. The company itself, by the way, was interested in the reincarnation of the franchise and the launch of sales.

In any case, I can not say that about T2.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

I met Steven Kick in person, nice guy.

It's not that NDS doesn't care, it's that T2 doesn't care to the point of not wanting to have anything to do with it.
Donjas

Post by Donjas »

What is needed is for someone to buy the rights. It won’t be too high since it is a 20 years old game.

Then that someone would need to use crowdfunding to create a new game based on it.

Even just reusing existing assets, like models and terrain from myth-3 and gameplay from myth-2 will result in a modern looking game with great replayability.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

It's easy to say that, but IPs are worth a lot more than you might expect. On top of that, where would the money come from?