Myth as a movie... thoughts?

Talk about anything here.
Xplod_

Myth as a movie... thoughts?

Post by Xplod_ »

Hello everyone. Every few years I find myself wanting to replay one of these amazing games... the story is rich, and unlike most games or mediums of entertainment it is not all positive and hopeful, in fact quite the opposite.

I love that the game is gritty, on the edge of defeat, a broken race. The more I think about it, it gives me similar vibes to an early World War movie mixed with Lord of the Rings. I just think if this was done properly it would be an incredible movie, and I wondered if anyone else thought the same? I know this is all a moot point as Bungie owns the rights, and now they are owned by Sony, but we are just speaking here strictly as fans!

I'm curious to hear what kind of style you think this movie would be, and I think it's storytelling would be refreshing and enjoyable while also being grounded in the mortality of the human race.
Eddaweaver

Re: Myth as a movie... thoughts?

Post by Eddaweaver »

Of course but doesn't Take 2 own the rights to Myth?

What happened to that Myth-themed short film someone made years back?
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

Anything is better than another reboot/rebrand/remake/prelude etc...

The myth-themed short film, are you referring to the one where as part of the behind the scenes photography, the actor was walking along side the highway with sword and shield in hand pretending to hitch hike?
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

youtube.com/watch?v=2oeByjsFgz4

youtube.com/watch?v=Ouqdp9yq7Mk
youtube.com/watch?v=hwZaeAYF8J4
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I think that was Avon's Grove folks doing the hitch hiking as behind the scenes.

Thanks for the links Melekor.
Deceiver

Post by Deceiver »

I'd love a myth movie in the style of LOTR / Game of thrones type etc..
Thank you all for keeping one of the greatest Mac games ever created, alive.
Sword Ring

Post by Sword Ring »

Hm.

You'd have to be pretty short-sighted these days, to make a Myth *movie*. But a Myth series, perhaps Netflix or Amazon? That's a different story. There's certainly enough material for a minimum of two seasons. Rich and deep.

A couple issues with that, however.

First, I'm not sure how many of you realize just how much stuff in the Bungie universe is borrowed from innumerable other sources, starting with Pathways. Ever heard of the game "Lost Tomb"? 1982 arcade unit designed by Dan Lee, from Stern Electronics (outfit that made Berserk, among others). Ever played it?

Well, then.

Fortunately, the gang at Bungie knew enough to modify things in their games just enough to never point directly back to the originals. Kind of like using a friend as a character in a book, but changing details enough that no one in a court action could possibly prevail.

The SANDLOT guys didn't do that, and got the hell sued out of them.

Listen, I'm not saying Bungie's use of external stuff was or is malicious. Not at all. I call it the Dungeon Master model. What respectable DM hasn't used stuff from ALIENS or LOTR or STAR WARS in a campaign? It's a form of homage, and a form of communal story sharing.

It's also the Tarantino model. QT will be the first to tell you he "steals" from everybody. And like Bungle, he has a preternatural talent for assembling these ideas that aren't his into something really cool and new.

Nothing really wrong with that.

So a decent corporate legal would have to figure out if there was any exposure in making a Myth-based show. Knowing something about it, I'm saying no. Close, but no cigar. Bungie never made the SANDLOT mistakes.

So, yeah.

Next up, you've got LORD OF THE RINGS about to emerge, as a series. Huge money was spent. If I were a Netflix (or other) exec, I'd be leery about putting yet another super-expensive fantasy show into the world, one which also uses dwarves of the *same name* as a major story piece. And other Tolkien-esque themes and stuff.

This is broadstroke; definitely more detail in that. But, not going there.

Lastly, Halo was a disaster as a series. Complete shite. What exec would want to risk a Myth series going the same route? Doesn't matter why the Halo series tanked. All that matters is, it did. When showrunners bail, first ep? Damn. That's bad.

But if LOTR is released and kicks ass? There could be a line to get a Myth series made. Just the way it works in Hollywood.

Anyway, my two freshly minted pennies.

P.S. Ghôls and Warlocks. You might think they're just archetypes. No. Borrowed from CA Smith, completely. Don't ask me to point it out to you; go read it all for yourself. CA was a badass. A visionary. Nobody else really like him, before or since.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I recall seeing an ad for the Halo TV series and thinking: "Cool! Maybe we'll get the Forever War movie soon!" And then promptly forgot about it until reading this now.
damagejackal

Post by damagejackal »

Sword Ring wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:28 am
First, I'm not sure how many of you realize just how much stuff in the Bungie universe is borrowed from innumerable other sources,
Not to mention the Black Company series of novels by glen cook.

A few years ago there was a rumor that it was getting the screen treatment, you'd get your gritty, dark, morally ambiguous, 3rd person driven story fix.. But I haven't heard anything since.
Sword Ring

Post by Sword Ring »

So many cool ideas get lost in Hollywood. I was surprised to see The Wheel of Time finally got made. That was floating around for years and went through all kinds of stuff having originally been put into a feature film format (two movies or three). Never seen The Wheel of Time series, but I heard it was horrible. I would hate to see that befall Myth, but in today's topsy-turvey Hollywood world it is highly likely a Myth movie would be a disaster especially in the casting.

In Hollywood right now casting is a major issue. A high percentage of roles are being cast for reasons having nothing to do with acting and ability and cast chemistry. It's a scourge except for Strange New Worlds. The casting is excellent on that one and we finally get a Spock who can act!