Anyway to? - Anyway to?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Sam The Butcher

Post by Sam The Butcher »

Is there anyway to have unit trading in a solo game? Thanks
Liu Xuande

Post by Liu Xuande »

Uhhh....Trade units to yourself? Whatever helps you fight...
Sig under constuction
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

It could be really nice to have actually. Imagine a solo level where the designer allowed you to choose different balances of unit types to tackle the level with. Could really add to interest and replayability.

That said, no you can't have unit trading the same as you do in multiplayer. You could script it though ... for instance imagine 3 (blue) armies and a green warrior at the start. You walk your warrior towards the army of choice, it turns green and the other two armies march away.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
:) Da Cid (: McCl

Post by :) Da Cid (: McCl »

Yeah Liu, I think you missed the point.

I thought of doing a map where you can choose to train troops in a baracks a while back. Like you have a hero unit, and he can walk up to the building that, say, makes Warriors or Archers, and taunts in front of it. *pop!* Done! New troop. Have 20 second gaps between training or something.

But me? Script it? Jeeze, keep dreaming, I can't script for my life. Although it wouldn't be too hard, just tedious.
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

A variation on this was done in Rohan's Myth Warrior conversion. At the beginning of the solo, you used one unit to shoot and blow up one of three things on the mesh -- depending on what you destroyed, you got additional units of a specific type.
Mauglir
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Was it GHOST who did a Gimble level where a warrior taunt at the start dictated where the enemy would come from or something?

And what's GHOST Up to nowadays, it's been yonks since he haunted us.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Yeah, GHOST is the master of innovative taunt based scripts, like in Scourge of Belial, where if you taunt in the beginning, the units get automatically distributed based on how many teammates you have - a lazy captain's dream. Or Requiem, where if you don't have enough players to manage the huge army you start with, you can taunt away units you don't want, and the difficulty of the map is adjusted accordingly.

GHOST moved in late August / early September and planned to come back after settling into his new haunt. Guess it takes a while to hang the cobwebs just so and get the floorboards creaking at the right pitch.
sillek

Post by sillek »

What about adding planning time for co-op so we don't die at start because of a slow captain ?
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Yeah I reckon that'd work. Have the entire script delayed a bit (by means of an Action List or something?) and the units uncontrollable for a minute, while the punk of a captain figures out his game plan.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
TarousZars
Site Admin

Post by TarousZars »

What if you just made the map so the script didn't start till a unit taunted? Should work, so long as you have dialog at beginning of map state what they must do.

Or maybe have it start after a minute, or a unit taunt whichever comes first.