The Alamo Map - Someone needs to make an Alamo map

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
New Guinea

Post by New Guinea »

Hey, wouldnt it be awesome to have an Alamo map? Modeled after B&G with different cannons (9 pounder, 12 pounder) and the heroes that were really there?

A cool idea for an ambitious mapmaker, the idea has been circulating among b&g fans over the net.

-New Guinea
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Enlighten those of us that are unaware... What is/was Alamo? :o

Iron might be interested after he finishes his latest map..
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

The Alamo was a this kick ass bunker complex in Texas, and one time about half a million Mexicans tried to capture it, but this one American with a sweet fur hat killed them all with a pair of gattling guns mounted on a cast iron turret, which rotated 360 degrees and was powered by a giant buffalo harnessed to a gear train made of bones. It was tight. :cool:
Mauglir
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

I don't remember it.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

mauglir wrote:The Alamo was a this kick ass bunker complex in Texas, and one time about half a million Mexicans tried to capture it, but this one American with a sweet fur hat killed them all with a pair of gattling guns mounted on a cast iron turret, which rotated 360 degrees and was powered by a giant buffalo harnessed to a gear train made of bones. It was tight. :cool:
Don't mess with the poor Canadian's head, Mauglir. The Alamo was a mission in Texas that between 100 and 200 American soldiers defended from a whole assload of Mexicans (I don't know how many, but it was at least several thousand). The Americans all died, and it started the Mexican-American War.

A-Red
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

You evil Canadians! I'm from Texas so the Alamo is a pretty big deal; and besides, there was even a recent movie about it. How could you never have heard of it?!?!?

Remember the Alamo!

mauglir was close in his description, but here's a history lesson:

Alamo, the Spanish name for the cottonwood trees surrounding the mission. The Texans occasionally used the mission as a fort.

During the winter of 1835-1836, the people of Texas decided to sever their relations with Mexico because of dissatisfaction with the Mexican government. To prevent the success of this independence movement, General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, in command of the Mexican Army, approached San Antonio with his troops. Lieutenant Colonel William Barret Travis and a force of about 150 Texans sought to defend the city. The company included the famous frontiersmen James Bowie and Davy Crockett. The quick arrival of the Mexicans took the Texans by surprise. They retreated to the Alamo to hold off the Mexican force of approximately 4,000 troops. Travis sent out a plea for help, declaring, "I shall never surrender or retreat." A relief party from Gonzales, Texas, passed through the Mexican lines and entered the Alamo, increasing the Alamo forces to 189 men. [So much for reinforcements :( ]

The siege of the Alamo lasted <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>13</span> days. By March 5, the garrison could not return Mexican fire because ammunition was low. This convinced Santa Anna that the fort could be assaulted. Early the next morning, the Mexicans succeeded in scaling the walls. At the end, the Texans fought using their rifles as clubs. All the Texans who fought died in the battle. At 8 a.m., the Mexican general reported his victory to his government. Survivors of the battle included Susanna Dickinson, the wife of an officer; her baby; her Mexican nurse; and Colonel Travis's black slave Joe.

"Remember the Alamo" became a battle cry. The determined defense of the Alamo gave General Sam Houston time to gather the forces he needed to save the independence movement of Texas. He retreated eastward, pursued by Santa Anna. At San Jacinto, Texas, he surprised them and on April 21, in just 18 minutes, captured or killed most of the Mexican army of over 1,200 men. Houston's army captured Santa Anna the following day and forced him to sign a treaty granting Texas its independence.

We're the only state in the Union to have ever been its own country.

And no, I didn't write this, it was written by Joseph A. Stout, Jr., Ph.D., Professor of History, Oklahoma State University.
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

A-Red wrote:…the Americans all died, and it started the Mexican-American War.

A-Red

Gah! Texas was not a part of the U.S. when the Battle of the Alamo took place; therefore they weren't Americans they were Texans. It did not start the Mexican-American War, rather it was near the end of the Texas War for Independence.

About 12 years later Mexico was still angry about the Texas War for Independence, and were getting even more angry as the U.S. began to take over the rest of Mexico's northern territories, including Florida and California (and all that land in between). That is what eventually prompted the Mexican-American war (not the Battle of the Alamo :nocomment: ), as Mexico wanted to take advantage of the U.S's disorganized army and win back some of their land.

And, yes, I wrote all this myself ^.^
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Ah, sorry. I was close though.

A-Red