JINN re-release! - Jinn for Myth 1.5.1

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Phex

Post by Phex »

Hello,

Inspired by the new 7th God plugins and having a break from my current Scenario Mappack project, I decided to develop a version of Jinn that can easily be used in the new Myth II 1.5 environment. I have already done some betatesting and it works fine for me. I would be glad if someone could host the plugins, because I have not enough webspace for such large files:

JINN Mappack v.1 130 MB
JINN Tagset v.1 60 MB
Cutscenes (if you like) 60 MB

I am currently thinking about implementing the new Myth features (Inventory etc.) as they would make some units easier to use - on the other hand this would change the original gameplay, so I am not sure about that.
Things that are not yet included are the Main Screen / Dialog / Control Bar collections, because they are not available in all of the current resolutions and it is a time consuming work to get them implemented.

rgds,
- Phex.

Image NEW: you can also visit Phex's MythFiles for further information! Image
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

Assuming you have permission from the original authors to work on this project, you can host it on our server. The easiest way to upload (until the tain is rdy), would be to log into our hotline server ( hl.projectmagma.net ). If you don't have a hotline client, you can download one here: http://hl.udogs.net/files/Hotline%20Files/Apps/
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

Phex wrote:Hello,

Inspired by the new 7th God plugins...

Thanks! :cool:

Phex wrote:I am currently thinking about implementing the new Myth features (Inventory etc.) as they would make some units easier to use - on the other hand this would change the original gameplay, so I am not sure about that.
Things that are not yet included are the Main Screen / Dialog / Control Bar collections, because they are not available in all of the current resolutions and it is a time consuming work to get them implemented.

rgds,
- Phex.

I too thought about implementing certain 1.4/1.5 features into TSG (I did on a select few units), but for the most part I left the original solos the way they were originally made.

As for the interface, it would have been difficult to implement the old interface so GHOST and I just removed it completly.

I never played the original Jinn so I will be really looking forward to a new version!
Phex

Post by Phex »

Assuming you have permission from the original authors to work on this project...

Right, I nearly forgot it: Jinn was created by VistaCartel - but the group doesn't exist anymore (former homepage) and I cant find any up-to-date contact info concerning the project Leader named Paul Callendar (Fisj) or any of the other members that were involved.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>If anyone has any contact info, I would be glad if he gave it to me!</span>

But considering the fact that the group doesnt exist anymore, I am not sure if releasing an updated version of Jinn is copyright violation - including the fact that it was an old project, released back in 2001 if I am right. I sure respect the work of others, but it seems obvious that nobody will ever play Jinn again if it is not released as a playable version - with the original authors' credits and a note that is has been modified of course.

rgds,
- Phex.
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

I don't see any problem with re-releasing Jinn in its original form (plus whatever is needed to get it working on 1.5). As long as the plugin remains true to the original version and as long as nobody is trying to claim credit that isn't due them, permission shouldn't really be needed. Vista no longer exists and its former members are essentially unreachable.

Edited By mauglir on 1106601759
Mauglir
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

Well, technically, every plugin that was touched by fear and/or loathing are owned by bungie (or is it t2 now that they own the rights to myth?), so seeking out the authors permissions is really only a courtesy, albiet, one that I think is pretty important.

Considering that you have made significant attempts to contact these authors, and given that you are trying to keep true to the original, I think it's probably ok. Just make sure they are credited as the original authors, and that you make sure it's clear that this is an update by you (not them).

Unless someone complains, I don't see any reason why we can't host it for you.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
ozone

Post by ozone »

I sent you a PM with iggy poppeds latest email addy...

hope it works
do it.
Phex

Post by Phex »

JINN now online!

After trying to contact VistaCartel and getting no response at all, I decided to finally re-release JINN.
I uploaded the two necessary files and the cutscenes at hl.udogs.net:

JINN Tagset v.1
JINN Mappack v.1
JINN Cutscenes (optional)
(all files are .sit compressed and have about 50 MB)

If you dont know what JINN is: JINN is a total conversion for Myth II created by VistaCartel back in 2001. It takes place in a desert world with a strange and dense atmosphere. To create this atmosphere, JINN makes unique use of models and complex map design in combination with a moving story. As the original JINN used a laborious installation technique that is not supported by v1.5 anymore, this recreation makes it possible to play JINN with up-to-date Myth versions.

I did not touch the gameplay at all while porting the old JINN plugin, but included a unit-mod in the tagset that replaces regular units with JINN units. I have to mention that this change does not work for all solo maps and can sometimes be unbalanced, but altogether its just for fun :). I did not include the interface graphics either, as they are not available for all the new dialogs and resolutions. There may be an interface patch later.

A copyright information honoring all the original developers is included.

If there are any bugs i did not recognize, please contact me.

Have fun with JINN, :D
- Phex.
Heinzoliger

Post by Heinzoliger »

Thanks for your work.
Before, I've never been able to play more than the first level of Jinn.

If you still want to contact some members of Vista, I have found one. Here is his blog :
http://www.biki.net/blog/2004/09/jinn-new-man-i-was-funni.html
Conner

Post by Conner »

Phex wrote:
I cant find any up-to-date contact info concerning the project Leader named Paul Callendar (Fisj) or any of the other members that were involved.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>If anyone has any contact info, I would be glad if he gave it to me!</span>
next time I see fisj on HL I'll point him this way, I'm guessing he won't care from previous comments....
h'biki

Post by h'biki »

Guest wrote:Thanks for your work.
Before, I've never been able to play more than the first level of Jinn.

If you still want to contact some members of Vista, I have found one. Here is his blog :
http://www.biki.net/blog/2004/09/jinn-new-man-i-was-funni.html
That'd be me!

I have contact info for Fisj and Iggy still. Fisj and Iggy are now working for DICE :)

BTW, Thanks for working on this! I'm going to link to it :) MB I'll play ti again.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Hey, I resent the comment that no one will ever play Jinn again unless it's updated to 1.5. I've been playing it with an old install of 1.3 for the past couple of weeks thank you very much.

That said, having a 1.5 version would eliminate the need for one of my many myth installs. Let's see, with Jinn not needing 1.3, and TSG not needing 1.3 I would be down to needing only 4-5 installs of Myth on my Mac.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
h'biki

Post by h'biki »

BTW, I can't ge the single player to work?

[Oh, and Fisj has downloaded the modded plug too!]

www.biki.net/blog/
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

You need the Map Pack, AND the tagset, both in your plugs folder, and both turned on. Then it'll run like it used to back in the day. I was never around when Vista released this plug, but.... now that some of them _might_ be around to read this: Wow.

Jinn has got to be the closest representation of Myth 3 style maps in Myth 2, ever. The models and designs were incredible. Special kudo's to the map 'Where Giants Fear'. Fantastic work.

Edited By Graydon on 1107426172
lerabu

Post by lerabu »

Played Jinn for the first time yesterday. Well done Vista and Phex thanks for porting it to 1.5.1! GJ!

It's a beaut!