vinylrake

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Perhaps someone could be so kind as to let vinylrake know (in his thread on PMnet) that I answered his question here as I'm not allowed to post on the PMnet forum.
A n00b question:

What is the limit (if any) to the number of units you can have in your local folder (or in a plugin)? Or is there a limit to how many Fear will let you edit? I don't mean how many units are visible on a map at a time, or even how many are used on a mesh - I am referring just to any limit on the sheer number of units one can have in one's local folder.

It appears there is a limit of around 300 - when I get over 298 (including all the standard bungie units) in my local folder the units I add after 298 no longer appear in the unit selection list in Fear.

Any help, suggestions? (other than "use fewer units").

One of two things may have happened here. Exceeding Fear folder limits or tag conflicts.

I believe the limit of any one type of tag that you're able to view in Fear is 1024 - though maybe it's lower for some tag folders than others, I'm not sure. Anyway, with that many units, my guess is you've exceeded 1024 in your projectiles folder.

To be able to continue editing with Fear, simply remove, and store in a safe folder, some tags you're not currently editing. When you're ready to build your plugin, make sure everything is included. Fear will still build a plugin properly even if the folder limits are exceeded.

The other likely problem you're having has nothing to do with limits but the four letter codes used for each tag to keep them unique. If you're pulling tags from many different plugins and dumping them into one local folder, there is a good chance some of those tags share the same Tag ID and this will cause duplicates to not be read by Fear.

This can be very time consuming to solve but can be done by reading each tag ID in Fear by the 'get info' command or by opening the tag. Make a seperate local folder for the tags that aren't appearing and read those IDs too. Eventually you will find the ones that match. Place both matching ID tags in the same local and use Fear to duplicate the one that you can see. Find any tags that reference the original that you just duplicated and link them to the duplicate instead. Delete the original. Both tags will show up now. Note that tags of different types, say Monsters and Objects, that share the same Tag ID do not cause conflicts. Only in cases where they're the same type is there a problem.
Lothar

Post by Lothar »

Thanks ChrisP,

I just posted it on PMnet for you.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

[quote="ChrisP"][/quote]
I am a little (lot) belated ChrisP, but thanks for the suggestions - I checked and I was indeed hitting the cursed duplicate ID tag situation you mentioned. Having it pop up for the first time right around a nice even number threw my debugging thinking off.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.