Universal Myth plugin pack - can it be done?

Talk about anything here.
Blades ~FF~

Post by Blades ~FF~ »

I am posting the following on behalf of Samsara who for some reason is having trouble posting to this forum. He's simply asked me to relay this message:

*** BEGIN MESSAGE ***

A minimal amount of research or effort would have lead you to the Idiot Collectives site to download Gothic with the copyright - where it has been the last 4 years.

If you ever find an Idiot Collective Map without a read me, you DO NOT HAVE ANY RIGHTS WHAT SO EVER to redistribute it. Please - anyone else who reads this - DONT STRIP THE READ ME.

Its not the mapmakers job to keep track of whats happening to their work. You should respect their rights. You can't just pass around peoples work like a 5cent whore. Despite ChrisP's always brilliant advice.

And the fact I have to say this through proxy due to not being able to post just shows how much you care about finding the authors and respecting their artistic rights.

***END TRANSMISSION***
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Um ... this thread is getting inflammatory. There's no need for it - the archive idea is not a Magma undertaking. If someone has a beef with us then this issue isn't one to use as a pretext for getting angry.

It seems Samsara/Amadeus/Captain Trips is getting upset at Igmo, which is pretty unfair as he seems to be doing his best to track authors down. Ok, so he hasn't gotten to the Idiots map yet - doesn't mean he wouldn't have done so in due time.

Its not like this archive is available now or that its even near completion (from what I can tell from reading here).

So please everyone, cool down and take some deep breaths. The last thing I want to do is censure posts or lock the thread.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Blades ~FF~

Post by Blades ~FF~ »

Please don't take anything I said as inflamatory as it wasn't intended as such. I was passing along a message (which I did so rather reluctantly).

I'm frankly kinda done with flames of just about any variety. I've had enough for one life. (mb two)

Peace;
Michael (Blades)
OMAC

Post by OMAC »

Omac here. For what it's worth, I'd be pleased to see you include Acts of Piety (and other other of my maps you might want to use) in any map "pack". Best of luck, and very happy to see interest in Myth II still strong!

--Ciam "OMAC" Sawyer
All of my maps (all 5 of them) still available for download:
http://www.seesaw.org/omac/
igmo

Post by igmo »

samsara, i'm sorry that i have not yet tracked down the docs for gothic, and assure u that i would have found them before inclusion of the plugin. i'd be a bit upset too if the only sources ppl were using for my work had a version striped of docs... which is why i am searching for them.

i did find your site thru a link at mythvillage... fyi, google seach for "idiot collective", and your site does not come up... looks like your name is graphic only, so not found by google.

if gothic is used, it will include docs. if you don't want it used, please just let us know.

Edited By igmo on 1109219462
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

Hey,

Sorry for being so hot headed. Just got frustrated that there weren't docs with it - as there should be with all plugins that originally had them. Obviously thats not your fault.

It came up on google for Idiot Mapmaking Collective, the full name. But quite understandable that you didnt type that - I likely wouldnt either first try.

Again, sorry. I don't care (and neither do the authors/editors of Gothic) if you use Idiot stuff so long as *we* know you are using our stuff and you asked us and it has our read me attached.

My irritation was mostly directed towards a certain other person and his misinformation about and misquotation of copyright laws (assuming he was walking about US Copyright Law.) I don't like to see other people's rights get stolen due to ignorance or selfishness on any parties part.

And then the irratation was heightened when I couldn't post to tell you where to get the read me.

Again, sorry. Go ahead and use anything you'd want, so long as its got a read me. (though admitably, most the read mes I see with the idiot stuff are brief =-D).

Edit: Hey it actually let me post. I had forgotten about this account til Iron mentioned Samsara, a name I some times go by. Retrieving the password etc did the trick. Other ones must have been closed despite being (likely) my more active ones. Boy do I feel the fool. I wasn't meaning to use multi accounts - or be deceptive. I simply didn't remember I had this account.
(AKA Captain Trips, Amadeus)
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

"Dude, I’d battle you for the fate of the Myth galaxy, but the batteries in my lightsabre have been dead since I was twelve."

You are my hero.

Hey, if the Mill is up, and the Tain is up, does that mean they're in direct competition with each other?
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

William Wallet wrote:Hey, if the Mill is up, and the Tain is up, does that mean they're in direct competition with each other?
A contest to see who can give away the most bandwidth? There's usually something at stake in a competition.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

What would be really useful is if PlayMyth/Marius kept track of which plugins were played and post the info on the net - that way one could just take a look at the page displaying the top 20 non-bungie FFA maps played in the last month or so to get an idea for what plugins are currently most popular.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Blades ~FF~

Post by Blades ~FF~ »

this was done a long time ago on PlayMyth... but it doesn't exclude Bungie

http://playmyth.net/playmyth_top_10.php

And this will get you the top 20

http://playmyth.net/playmyth_top_10.php?top=20

More than 20 isn't supported :-D
Doobie
Site Admin

Post by Doobie »

Marius net has a similar feature, i believe it displays the most commonly played maps as opposed to plugins.
Want to play Myth? New and old Myth players can playmyth online at Mariusnet.com.
KyleMaclean.net
sillek

Post by sillek »

You haven't even released WWII for Myth III and already RECON is the second most played map for the game.. :sigh:

:Looks at Myth II Ranked maps played and dies:
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Samsara wrote:My irritation was mostly directed towards a certain other person and his misinformation about and misquotation of copyright laws (assuming he was walking about US Copyright Law.) I don't like to see other people's rights get stolen due to ignorance or selfishness on any parties part.

If my (often feeble) memory serves me right, then I suspect your irritation with me really started months ago, after you earned the distinction of being the only person ever to be booted for obnoxious behavior from udogs hotline in all its years of being online.

But that's all in the past (or at least it should have been till you almost sort of took it out on Igmo) so perhaps we can move forward and you can correct my misinformation and misquotations regarding US copyright laws and how they apply to Myth plugins. Seriously Sam, you sound like you know the specifics, and considering the recent conversation, perhaps a lot of other people around here, including me, should know too. Surely, dispelling ignorance will help prevent other people's rights from getting stolen, no?

And I won't be offended, no matter how wrong you prove me - provided you keep it civil, of course. To be honest, I just typed what I remembered off the top of my head, and I'm clearly no expert. All I happen to be good at is putting things in perspective.
Blades ~FF~

Post by Blades ~FF~ »

You haven't even released WWII for Myth III and already RECON is the second most played map for the game.. :sigh:

This includes a lot of "load it into M3 and look around for 30 seconds before quitting" type of things too. So it's not like we've been playing a ton of recon.

It should be noted that WW2 Recon for M3 is not a FlyingFlip project but rather one being done by The Idiot Collective Mapmakers - although Clem has helped out in terms of doing the colormap and whatever else they can talk him into :-D
Samsara

Post by Samsara »

obnoxious behavior

Yes I suppose history is written by the 'winners' or in this case the admins. Though thats not the real source of the irritation.

Who said I was even speaking of you?

However, if you wish to learn about copyrights, perhaps reading would be a fine place to start. Your local library likely has a fine selection of books on the subject! The .gov site also has very useful information.Wikipedia also has a great page on copyright law.

Though a few useful points that apply here:
*Works are copyright upon creation (in reality publication) without the need of the author stating they are copyrighted. Therefore works without a read me are still copyrighted.
*Without permission, no one has rights to use or redistribute works or derive works. Without a read me, no permission is given. This includes both works done for profit or nonprofit works. The difference lies in how you may be punished legally ranging from a civil case that causes you to cease your illegal actions to a criminal investigation.

This is not to be considered legal advice. This is just my understanding (as not an expert, but one who has had to deal with this in side projects and had consulted those who are experts.)

Edit: Also don't call me Sam please. Either Ama or Samsara will do.
(AKA Captain Trips, Amadeus)