myth2 1.8 suggestions

Talk about anything here.
Gudadantza

Re: myth2 1.8 suggestions

Post by Gudadantza »

Thanks for the responses.

I personally like both but prefer the Myth 2 gameplay over Myth 3, I think It was a backstep in some gameplay and control details, and the sprites have magic. I am sure the upgrades will come with time.

Id love to see reescaled unit sprites, and smooth animations on them. I prefer a good sprite than a bad model.

My question is: Is possible the polishing of the sprites? (I mean use the same sprites but reescaled)Or is too far from realistic?

Geetings! and congrats for the 1.7.2 beta, It runs faster and smoother than ever.
balor13

Post by balor13 »

one cool thing would be in loathing a tool that allows you to directly place artifacts on a mesh
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

balor13 wrote:one cool thing would be in loathing a tool that allows you to directly place artifacts on a mesh
You already can do that. Do it through the projectile tool and find the projectile tag that is connected to the artifact.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

I HAVE A GREAT IDEA. I like saving a few films here and there, but are you guys familiar with mythtv? Basically you can watch someone play myth through their eyes. Is there a way to record your myth games that immitates exactly what you do? Like, the exact same copy except you aren't controlling. So where the camera moved, where the mouse pointer was, where you clicked, is all replayed back. Always wanted to sit back and watch how I played. Just a suggestion.

I had another idea too but I can't remember. I'm sure it was something really important though.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

You could always use Fraps and record while playing, maybe.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

oh ok. always wondered how that was done.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

and of course if you wanted a different saved replay/view of a game or wanted to show aspects of a game that you couldn't see while you were busy micromanaging your units, you could use FRAPs to record your viewing of a Myth recording.
alx3apps

Post by alx3apps »

It would be nice to have pause in solo game without save/load form in the center of the screen. I think, moving this form to the bottom, or to the corner of the screen by default would be enough.
This feature (tactical pause) were requested by two other players on our local gamers forum. I know, it has no value in multiplayer, but in solo this form in the center of the screen is really annoying.

Thank you for the great work, I really enjoy 1.7 on my eeepc!
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

tried using the Fraps program, and it is exactly what I was describing. However, it kills my FPS dramatically, and its completely unplayable for me. any suggestions? other than the obvious, getting a new computer...
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:tried using the Fraps program, and it is exactly what I was describing. However, it kills my FPS dramatically, and its completely unplayable for me. any suggestions? other than the obvious, getting a new computer...
Uncheck "Lock framerate", increase the "Video Capture Settings" to 60 fps, try "Half-size" or lower your Myth resolution.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

lowering the resolution and playing in windowed mode might be even more bang for the buck. it's a little awkward playing that way, but if krok can play on that broken screen i am sure he is 1337 enough to handle this too.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Sure, just note that in the default configuration FRAPS will lock your frame rate to 30 while recording.
MindBrain

Post by MindBrain »

Gudadantza wrote:Thanks for the responses.

I personally like both but prefer the Myth 2 gameplay over Myth 3, I think It was a backstep in some gameplay and control details, and the sprites have magic. I am sure the upgrades will come with time.

Id love to see reescaled unit sprites, and smooth animations on them. I prefer a good sprite than a bad model.

My question is: Is possible the polishing of the sprites? (I mean use the same sprites but reescaled)Or is too far from realistic?

Geetings! and congrats for the 1.7.2 beta, It runs faster and smoother than ever.
Yea it is possible to rescale the units and make them look better. In fact I've done it and they look great. The problem is changing the resolution of the units means all their animation sequences need realigned which for one person to do is too much work. There is talk about higher res units coming in 1.8 so I guess we just gotta wait for that.... If Oak could be made to accept replacement unit bmps that are 2x the size and retain the animation positions I could have a plugin ready tomorrow...
MindBrain

Post by MindBrain »

1.8 suggestion: Isn't the archer supposed to be able to Shift-Attack and attack multiple units instead of just 1...Can this be reimplemented?
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I don't care what anyone tells you, taking a resolution that is small, and making it large, does not _add_ any detail to the unit. It makes tiny things bigger. Sure you've increased the resolution, but not the graphical quality.

The only way to add detail with your increased resolution is to render the original 3d model at a higher resolution, so that the actual detail that's present on the model comes through on the new large render.

You might be able to trick your mind into thinking what it's seeing is better looking, perhaps due to increased anti aliasing and blending of colours as they get stretched out to the larger size, but once you see what an actual high resolution render looks like (say anything in The Wind Age plugin), it's hard to go back and say that an upscaled render looks good/really any better than the original bungie size.