New Forum System

Talk about anything here.
Baak

Post by Baak »

Orlando the Axe wrote:I don't like the colors either. I'll live though.
I realized what it is about the colors that I'm not 100% thrilled with: simply the fact that there is not enough of the orangish background around the cream colored forums.

On the getmyth site there's a large left/right area of orange whereas on these forums the cream fills 96% of my 1280x1024 screen and lights up the whole room at night. 8)

P.S. I could be mistaken about the spammer's registering - I mean, SweetBabe and GreatVipGirl (who lists interests as "boys") have got to be into Myth, I just know it...
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

actually the orangish backround is exactly what I dont like about it, its too bright and saturated (at least on my LCD).
Baak

Post by Baak »

You know, you guys (Magma) could add an alternative Style or two that just changed the primary/secondary color (I think the secondary is actually an image but you could just have a colorized version of that as the alternative). Just a thought.

Another minor problem I see too are links in posts: they are pretty hard to distinguish from normal text (did you notice the one on the word "are" back there?).

Making them bold in a post would be nice. :)
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

lol... I didn't notice the "are" was a link until you pointed it out.
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

This colour system is terrible!! I can't read what Will has to say! Ack! :evil:
Maybe white as a font colour should be removed; or, better yet, the colour system changed.

I bet you have no idea what I'm saying here
Click on the picture below for my Myth 2 scenario.
StoneCold
Site Admin

Post by StoneCold »

Lugas, I think you're referring to posts made on the old forum system which have been transferred over to the new system. The old forums used to append the color code to each post, therefore, all posts on the old board retain their font color.

It would be next to impossible to go through ALL of the posts and change them to black.

If someone is using white on this color scheme, shame on them. This is how the colors will be for now, if someone else want's to try coming up with a theme, let me know and CIK and I can set something up for you so you can work on it.

Once things settle down here for me, I'll work on making the colors a little better. It's not that I can't do it, just do not have the time. After all, you guys like the old color theme I did, eh? :)
Gholsbane

Post by Gholsbane »

Can we just revert it to the default theme in the mean time?
Baak

Post by Baak »

It's also possible to have both this and the default theme available from each user's profile. Just a matter of having the theme available in the phpBB folder.

This is what I meant earlier about having another modified theme that had a less drastic contrast. Just make another theme.

I know "just" is one more thing to do, but the idea of having the default theme available as an option is a good one - and much easier for the short term.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Baak wrote:It's also possible to have both this and the default theme available from each user's profile. Just a matter of having the theme available in the phpBB folder.
I thought the issue was that the old BBS system wasn't phpBB so the themes aren't compatible?
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Gholsbane

Post by Gholsbane »

I'm talking about the default phpBB theme. It's pretty vanilla but not quite as offensive as the CSS burglary going on here.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Gholsbane wrote:I'm talking about the default phpBB theme. It's pretty vanilla but not quite as offensive as the CSS burglary going on here.
Not sure what you mean by "CSS Burglary" but now that things have been tweaked a bit, the forum scheme is very usable and readable for me. Burnt orange isn't my favorite color, but it's not my site and no one asked me so as long as it's legible it's ok by me.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Gleep

Post by Gleep »

Aren't there free skins out there on the net that magma could use for the forum?
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

Is there any way to bring back "titles" like Forum Admin or Magma Staff so people with questions that don't frequent this forum can seperate more official statements from the usually well meaning but sometimes slightly misinformed opinions?

Hmm... I think that the longest sentence I've written without a comma in a long time. :P
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

Or you could allow users to make a custom title like on the Pfhorums. Of course, it should still retain groups like Members, Beta Testers, Forum Admins and Magma Staff.
For example:
Lugas
Members
Custom Title
For ChrisP it could be:
ChrisP
Magma Staff
Custom Title
Click on the picture below for my Myth 2 scenario.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

tarouszars wrote: So I was looking at my profile and decided to see what some of the other forum styles look like. I chose poorly it seems. After switching to one (I don't remember which one) all I see now for magma forums is this "Template->make_filename(): Error - file qbar_qbars.tpl does not exist"

An admin who could fix my profile, and then nuke the templates that don't work would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tarous Zars
-TZ's bitch