MariusNet

Talk about anything here.
Eddaweaver

Post by Eddaweaver »

People stopped playing TFL on Mariusnet because they stopped playing TFL altogether. There were too many compatibility issues. TFL v1.3 can't run when more than 640mb of RAM is active, can't run on WinXP if too many films are in the RECO folder, is problematic on WinXP and may require the Win95 emulation mode if it wants to run at all, and doesn't like MacOSX. MythDev released v1.4 out of the blue and players installed it only to find it connected to PlayMyth.net, so that caused some player loss. v1.5 again has to be installed separately to connect to either PlayMyth.net or Mariusnet and it doesn't work for some people. So there ended up being either:
* v1.3 on Mariusnet
* v1.4 on PlayMYth.net
* v1.5 on Mariusnet
* v1.5 on Playmyth.net

and each version with different OS and server compatibilities.

The oldtime players kept trying to play on v1.3 til the end.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

1) Originally mariusnet was the ONLY place to play TFL games, because PlayMyth only hosted SB games. So TFL players went to mariusnet when Bungie.net closed (some before) so were used to mariusnet and had little reason to leave for playmyth when playmyth started offering TFL games.

3) vTFL: For non hardcore TFL players, vTFL satisfies the desire for the occassional TFL units/map game.
Not to be anal, but there was a gap between the closing of TFL Bnet and Mariusnet of several months. During that time, those who still sought out TFL games used Magma's BattleWatch TCP/IP game tracker.

Many people who still consider themselves hardcore TFL players happily made the switch to vTFL. There are plenty of us who disavow M2 and only play vTFL unless it's a special coop like Mazz (which is more similar to TFL than M2 anyway). Of course, the term hardcore is relative. Starting with Myth II 1.5 the differences between TFL and vTFL became extremely minor, but some still cling to the original because of the thicker yellow unit selection boxes or the Journeyman's flavor text.
Baak

Post by Baak »

ChrisP wrote:but some still cling to the original because of the thicker yellow unit selection boxes or the Journeyman's flavor text.
Now that's what I call "hardcore"! ;)
Cobalt 7

Post by Cobalt 7 »

I noticed that there were lots of situations in vTFL where Myth 2 portraits and flavor texts would exist in TFL or even right alongside TFL texts and portraits..or vice-versa.

Is there a way to fix this?
I decided to look up in the sky, and lo and behold there was a BoB. I stared at him, and he stared back. There was silence for a great while until he said in a thunderous, booming voice..."Okay, Okay, DON'T Frogblast the ventcore."
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

ChrisP wrote:Not to be anal, but there was a gap between the closing of TFL Bnet and Mariusnet of several months. During that time, those who still sought out TFL games used Magma's BattleWatch TCP/IP game tracker.
no problem chrisp - I apparently got events out of order.

Here's my new adapted timeline - does this look good? If it does let me know and I will have this new timeline burned into my memory chip.

2001-04-13 Rampancy reports Bungie.net Myth TFL server has been acting flaky

2001-05-22 TFL server is "still" offline - bungie says it will return when servers are upgraded later in the summer

2001-08-12 Mariusnet starts up
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Cobalt 7 wrote:I noticed that there were lots of situations in vTFL where Myth 2 portraits and flavor texts would exist in TFL or even right alongside TFL texts and portraits..or vice-versa.

Is there a way to fix this?
A lot of extra things, like journeymen sprites from TFL and flavour texts were omitted from vTFL to make a smaller download. What you can do is make an extra plugin that includes these and overrides the original M2 ones.

Then, when you activate vTFL, also activate this plugin, and it will be more akin to the original TFL (minus the thick selection boxes and such).
William Wallet

Post by William Wallet »

Bob Dylan wrote: A lot of extra things, like journeymen sprites from TFL and flavour texts were omitted from vTFL to make a smaller download. What you can do is make an extra plugin that includes these and overrides the original M2 ones.

Then, when you activate vTFL, also activate this plugin, and it will be more akin to the original TFL (minus the thick selection boxes and such).
I tried making a plugin that worked in conjunction with vTFL but it never worked out. The idea was, I wanted the light melee units to cry out in joy whenever they smacked a friendly unit (ala option-shift attacking).

Never worked out unfortunately; but it would've been glorious.
Okay I got the models but now I'm too dumb to do anything with 'em