Computer Crashed

Talk about anything here.
vinylrake

Re: Computer Crashed

Post by vinylrake »

BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:I didn't indicate that until afterward. The red, yellow and green buttons were tiny, not just because of the setup, they are even small on the 27" imacs in my library.
You are of course correct, but even without knowing the fact that the mac had a smaller sized monitor, the humor in you blaming the size of images on your screen on the Mac operating system instead of on the size of your screen or the resolution of the monitor remains. finding out afterwards that the mac you bought had a smaller screen than your previous laptop just makes it funnier.

It is like if I told you I had a Ford truck but it broke down so I bought a Chevy then I complained that I didn't like the Chevy because it had no power and couldn't haul much. Obviously you would wonder about which model Chevy I had and not think the problem was specifically because it was a Chevy. Then when I told you my old truck was a Ford F-450 XLT with a 6.7L engine, and the Chevy I bought was a Colorado with a 2.9L engine you would LOL.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

You would never own either truck.

New computer is on its way.

External System Details:
System Name and Type: Desktop - XPS 8300
Monitor: 24" Widescreen Full HD
KeyBoard/Mouse: Dell Consumer Multimedia Keyboard/ Dell Laser Mouse
Speaker: Bose Corporation Companion 2 Series II Multimedia Speaker System
Internal Performance Components:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2600 processor(8MB Cache, 3.4GHz)
Memory: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
Hard Drive: 500GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
Video Card: AMD Radeonâ„¢ HD 6670 1GB DDR5
Optical Drive: Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability (Your computer will only play BluRay if it is specifically listed here)
Internet & Communication Features:
Modem: No Dial Up Modem Option (Please note that this is a modem intended for dial-up usage. If you are using a high-speed internet provider, Dell includes networking cards for high-speed broadband with every computer.)
Wireless: Dell 1501 Wireless-N PCIe Card
Software Included:
Operating System: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
Office Software: Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook - See the attached file for programs included/not included
Security Software: McAfee SecurityCenter, 36-Months

Digital Downloadable Software: *

Trusted ID,IDSafe, 12 Month Subscription, Digital Delivery
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Don't be so OMinous all the time, PLASTICRAKE
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Overall that's a very fast machine, especially the CPU. You'll notice a huge difference from what you had.

If you want to play super-new games in high resolutions, the only thing you'd have to upgrade at all is the GPU, and it should be sufficient for older games or moderate detail levels anyways.

Myth of course will run like a dream on it :) OpenGL or DirectX 11 will both work well on that machine, so choose one of the two (avoid Direct3D or Software).
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:You would never own either truck.
way to miss the point. classic.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Yes it certainly does help to have rich parents who will buy you whatever you want.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Lol @ parents comment. Wouldn't you think I would have gotten a new computer a long time ago instead of continuing to play on my 6 year old Dell Inspiron laptop with 1GB memory and integrated video card?

Yes, OpenGL is the best imo, and I believe the high-resolution maps are scripted for OpenGL more than DirectX 11. But I'm sure it will look impressive either way. The only thing I'll have to adjust to is being back on a desktop for myth. My ALT key will be further to the left because no Function button on the keyboard, meaning presets will take a feel for getting used to. My current ALT key literally has a crater in it from using presets. I could put a marble in it, shake my computer around, and it would stay put inside the crater. Yeah, I'm pretty awesome like that.

Myth will most likely be the only game I play, but I'm sure I might actually try out some new games since my computer will be quite capable. I got a TV Tuner with it too though so I'll be playing around with that as well. The one new Need for Speed game looks awesome, don't know if its available for PC yet or not. It has all the current muscle cars and other badass cars in it. My old Myth racing wheel will come in handy.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Okay, looked at the screenshots for this game. This would be the newest game I would have ever purchased since Perfect Dark N64. But seriously, it looks that good, I don't see how I can't buy it.

http://www.needforspeed.com/therun
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

BIG KROK V8 SS wrote: Yes, OpenGL is the best imo, and I believe the high-resolution maps are scripted for OpenGL more than DirectX 11.
OpenGL and DirectX 11 will look nearly pixel-for-pixel identical. If you find any visible differences between the two, take a screenshot because we'd be interested in seeing it :)

NFS The Run uses the new Frostbite 2 engine that was written for Battlefield 3 (a beautiful looking game), so I imagine it looks great. As you mentioned in the other thread though, NFS games do tend to be very arcade-y in gameplay.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

NFS games are categorized as either simulation or arcade. I had the 2nd NFS ever made, NFS 2, and it was definitely arcade. I remember downloading an older simulation one, porsche unleashed, and it showed car damage, and took on damage and factored in that when driving. plus you could add parts to them and upgrade, etc. i liked that better, but like i said, the car list on the new one is just extreme. i hope it doesn't play like crap.

some guys on amazon reviewed it and said that it was limited to 30fps, and it didn't feel smooth like playing it on a console or whatever.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:NFS games are categorized as either simulation or arcade.
Right, yeah. The "shift" series are the slightly more simulation ones, but even then they aren't as "simulation" as Forza or Gran Turismo. Again though, definitely check out the Dirt demo - you might dig it, like me :)
BIG KROK V8 SS wrote: some guys on amazon reviewed it and said that it was limited to 30fps, and it didn't feel smooth like playing it on a console or whatever.
Hmm that would surprise me if that was the case on PC. Not really any point in limiting the FPS outside of consoles...
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

I used to play the old Age of Empires game from download. It was pretty cool. Takes resources into consideration, and a lot less emphasis on battle strategy compared with myth.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

If you liked AoE, here's a modern version, free to play: http://ageofempiresonline.com/
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Wasn't there a myth conversion for AoE? I knew there was a game but not sure which one. Total war maybe?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »