hey punkuser

Talk about anything here.
dac

Re: hey punkuser

Post by dac »

punkUser wrote:Let's stay on topic here please...
spongefile

Post by spongefile »

@dac Kudos for actually doing something. Am curious how the Mariusnet binary differs from the standard server code, but don't have a Windows machine handy to dig into it.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

heh. just found out you can run the mariusnet installer.exe on a mac under wine/x11. i don't know if it would actually work and let people connect to it or not but i have a server up and running on my mac.

w00t! ?
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Pyro wrote:
BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:Thanks for clearing things up that everyone on this forum lacks any sort of sense of humor. Appreciate it bro!
That is ozone's style of sense of humor. People tend to mistake it for being serious. Lighten up.
LOL
dac

Post by dac »

mariusnet code isnt available the way the server code is.

The file system is a ridiculous way to handle users though.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

dac wrote:mariusnet code isnt available the way the server code is.
Right so if you/we want to make any modifications, you have to start from the source code link that Myrd posted earlier. But it might still be fun/informative to install the mariusnet server just to play around with.
dac wrote: The file system is a ridiculous way to handle users though.
Yeah I mean technically it's a "database" of sorts, just a very primitive one :) Honestly I think the most robust solution long term is to modify that stuff in the source code to interface with an actual database (via ODBC or something similar - whatever is the standard these days). Then it could be made to directly interact with a forum user database and that would side-step having to write any of that web code.

Technically for the amount of data that Myth and the metaserver exchange, HTTP and XML would be completely sufficient, but it would require changes to the client (non-backwards compatible ones at that), so it would be pretty disruptive. That said if we ever wanted to add new features to the metaserver/client protocol it would be worth considering options.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

dac wrote:The file system is a ridiculous way to handle users though.
depends on how many users you expect. adding in a db is a lot of extra overhead and work if you are only talking about a dozen or couple dozen users -- and you really only need a user database at all if you are doing the whole statistics thing. if you aren't you could skip the whole user db part and just have everyone log on as guests. at least i assume so, i didn't notice anything in the installation documentation about needing to set up guest accounts - but i wasn't looking specifically either.
dac

Post by dac »

lol @ the standard these days. C went out of style more than a decade ago I'm afraid.

The issue would be how the server interacts with those files. I could write an odbc wrapper since i have infinite databases sitting out there, but i'm still afraid of the "gotchas" where the client would somehow be dependent on those files.

and im really not interested in any "friendly" advice from you vr. there are plenty of people who im sure would appreciate your helpfulness.

and since i can actually post on this forum right now, thanks "om" for the forum ban and insanely long gag and name locks. i would post that tidbit on marius but there's obviously an issue there.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

dac wrote:lol @ the standard these days. C went out of style more than a decade ago I'm afraid.
Actually, ironically, people are rewriting a lot of web apps in C/C++ these days (especially Facebook) because the performance is much more predictable and stable than other options, but that's a separate discussion. For UI code it's normally not the right choice, but for server stuff like the metaserver, it hardly matters... besides any programmer worth his/her salt can use whatever language comfortably :)
dac wrote: The issue would be how the server interacts with those files. I could write an odbc wrapper since i have infinite databases sitting out there, but i'm still afraid of the "gotchas" where the client would somehow be dependent on those files.
Right. I think there are really only two reasonable options:
1) Disable "users" entirely and just go with unregistered "guests" for everything. This doesn't have to work the same was as mariusnet, but the idea being that there would be no accounts. Might work just fine for a small community.
2) Change the code to hook into a database. I doubt this is very hard even particularly if you're willing to choose the platform for the server to run on and use the native database interfaces on that platform. Then just hook it into a forums database or something.

Anyways so I think you just need to decide what you're trying to accomplish in terms of the server and features dac (or let me know) and then we can figure out what the next steps are.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

dac wrote:and since i can actually post on this forum right now, thanks "om" for the forum ban and insanely long gag and name locks. i would post that tidbit on marius but there's obviously an issue there.
For the 500th time, VR isn't OM dumbass. Here I thought you had more intelligence than Krok, apparently I was incorrect.
dac

Post by dac »

GodzFire wrote:
dac wrote:and since i can actually post on this forum right now, thanks "om" for the forum ban and insanely long gag and name locks. i would post that tidbit on marius but there's obviously an issue there.
For the 500th time, VR isn't OM dumbass. Here I thought you had more intelligence than Krok, apparently I was incorrect.
i didnt say that om is vr in that post godzfire.

congratulations on your reading comprehension skills though, i'm impressed.

this is where i should ask the admins to protect me from you calling me a "dumbass" - such a mean, nasty word. and you bring krok into the discussion too, you're a real winner man.

as punkuser said,
punkUser wrote:Let's stay on topic here please...
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Yeah, let me repeat - the topic here is about setting up a custom metaserver. Not about mariusnet admin rules or policies or anything else. Keep to the topic please or just refrain from posting in this thread.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Suggestion for next time: make the post title reflect the actual topic. Otherwise, the title suggests the topic is "talking to punkuser".

As for the server stuff, I wrote most of the text in HowTo.txt, which gives a pretty good overview of the state of things. So if something specific is unclear, I can help answer any questions.
Vindicator

Post by Vindicator »

dac any progress to report on this? sounds very interesting. Seeing how just a few years ago 90% of the myth community played a playmyth.net
Then all of a sudden got sick of the bs and the persons in control of playmyth and as a whole community switched to marius.net, I see no reason they would not leave marius.net for a less uptight and nonrestrictive new myth server.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Dac is banned from this forum, so chances of him replying to your post are low. I suggest you try to contact him via email or IM (look for links below his name on the right side of any of his posts).