Readmes and credit

Talk about anything here.
carlinho

Re: Readmes and credit

Post by carlinho »

I think in the end, it's what the original author likes.
If they don't want the work to be altered, then we shouldn't do it.
If they want only with permission and with very clear and publicized credit, then that's the way it should be.
and if they don't care at all, I guess still credit should be given...in a proper way

in the end, it's like modifying a car...you still sell it as a mercedes, or a whatever
you don't change 2 bumpers paint it different and say "I sell a carlinho special" :wink:
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

Allow me to change the author name to whatever I upload to the tain, to reflect who made the original plugin and it would no longer be unclear who created the original content.
God of mapmaking
Undefeated in 1v1 mapmaking competitions
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

but even that wouldn't work for your mega remixed map packs - unless you could put 20 names in the 'author' field.

the credit to the original author(s) can be in the description of the map, if it's there it doesn't need to be in the author field, but ideally maybe there would be a field to identify the person submitting the item(this could be the current 'author' field), and a second field for indicating how much of the content is new:

"New all original" = a total conversion or tagset containing _new_ units

"New" = a new map that uses Bungie or 3rd party scenery/units combined with a new color/displacement/terrain map

"Modified" = an existing map that has new unitsets, or a new mesh with a different# of starts added to an existing map, or a plugin that contains existing units that have been modified

"Tweaked" = this would be an existing map/plugin that has had a minor change from the original - something like a bug fix, or fixing unit trading so all teams have the same starting units on a map where one team had more than the others, and other small things like that.

I think the mill used to have something like this.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

vinylrake wrote:but even that wouldn't work for your mega remixed map packs - unless you could put 20 names in the 'author' field.

the credit to the original author(s) can be in the description of the map, if it's there it doesn't need to be in the author field, but ideally maybe there would be a field to identify the person submitting the item(this could be the current 'author' field), and a second field for indicating how much of the content is new:

"New all original" = a total conversion or tagset containing _new_ units

"New" = a new map that uses Bungie or 3rd party scenery/units combined with a new color/displacement/terrain map

"Modified" = an existing map that has new unitsets, or a new mesh with a different# of starts added to an existing map, or a plugin that contains existing units that have been modified

"Tweaked" = this would be an existing map/plugin that has had a minor change from the original - something like a bug fix, or fixing unit trading so all teams have the same starting units on a map where one team had more than the others, and other small things like that.

I think the mill used to have something like this.
You know what would be a cool feature? A double click pregame image credits list. :P
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
Horus

Post by Horus »

carlinho wrote:If I recall correctly, creation games also didn't allow for mapmakers to modify or use their content.
And yet I still have permission to use any unit made by Cydonian. :wink:

Permissions and credit should be taken very seriously, try pulling half of the credit stealing crap over on a community like the Nexus (Fallout 3, FNV, Skyrim, TES, DA supported etc) and you'll end up on the bad end of a ban.
Try pulling it in the professional industry and instead it'll be a lawsuit (preceded by cease and desist letters). Even if you win the lawsuit trying getting your game complete with a signifcant chunk of your budget lost to fighting it.

When someone puts in hard work and effort to create something, that should be recognized and they should be credited for it. Crediting doesn't make people think you suck, it makes people respect you for your honesty.

If you don't credit, you are a dick. Simple as that.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

aye, second that

on another subject, weren't you Vinyl saying you were leaving for a while?
so this thread means you left but wanted to leave a flame open so we didn't forget you?
hahahaha
this is fantastic... :lol:
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

no, i definitely am going to be taking a break, i am just sweeping out the corners of my HDs cleaning up myth detritus and adding - hopefully the last - content to the mythgraveyard. it was while doing that organizing that i found the post about credits.

i have at least a couple more weeks before i can take a long-awaited myth vacation.

ps. note i specifically requested any replies NOT be flame-worthy. intelligent discourse is good. flaming=lame.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

hahaha, well I thought it was funny to uncover your machiavellian schemes...
:wink:
we'll miss you pal
Olong2

Post by Olong2 »

People who do not ever or who have *no* ability to create and/or generate completely original content, from scratch, are the people who are most likely to dismiss the act of giving credit where due.

Creating new stuff requires enormous amounts of work, energy, thought, time, and effort. Creating off-shoots of that work does, too...if undertaken with care and seriousness.

I absolutely love that old maps are given new life via new units and such, but I *don't* love insolent assholes who think it's funny to not have the common fucking decency to credit the hard, hard work performed by the original authors...no matter *how* cool the resulting conversion/modification.

Of course, everybody has the ability to change their dubious ways, right? ;)

Enough said.
Industry

Post by Industry »

Meta-maps. Para(sitical) Map Packs.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

interesting post on readmes and credit:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthr ... post555062