myth2 1.8 suggestions

Talk about anything here.
MindBrain

Re: myth2 1.8 suggestions

Post by MindBrain »

New suggestions:

I thought it would be awesome to have a auto zoom map. So you move the mouse over the map and it quickly expands to bigger size, move the mouse off the map and it reverts to regular size. It could be an option in the preferences with settings: Expanded size (number 1 to 10), Compact size (number 1 to 10), possibly Speed of zoom. I think this would be great especially if it has a quick smooth zoom animation.

Also I was thinking about more controls to customize. Particularly being able to change the preset and formation controls. Where if you'd like to have 1 - 9 recall your presets and map formations to other keys, or stuff like that.....
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

do you mean you would like the overhead map to auto-zoom?
MindBrain

Post by MindBrain »

vinylrake wrote:do you mean you would like the overhead map to auto-zoom?
Yea the overhead map. When you move the mouse over, it's expands to a set size (scale of 1 to 10 I guess, 10 being as large as the overhead can get on your monitor) And when you move the mouse back to the battlefield (off the overhead map) It's contracts back to a set size (scale of 1 to 10 I guess, 1 being very small)

This way you can keep the map small and have more view of the battle field when fighting. But a quick mouse over gets you a detailed view of the map to see enemy troop movements and your best course to attack! YES!
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

i'd be in trouble if everytime i moused over the overhead it expanded.

but if we are making a wish list, i'd much prefer the overhead map be a floating resizable window that could be somewhat transparent so I could drag it completely off the battle-screen and even onto a 2nd monitor. then i could make the overhead fill the monitor and not interfere with the normal screen. use the tab key to show or hide the overhead window and it could still appear at the normal size in the normal location, it would just be a seperate window.
Defacto

Post by Defacto »

Yes I have Wished for the ability to show the OH map on a 2nd monitor.
Would be pretty usefull.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Yes! Then I'd finally have an excuse to buy a second monitor!
The cake is a lie.
MindBrain

Post by MindBrain »

I figured mousing over the map on accident is not a problem because just as quickly you can take the mouse off and it reverts back to small, and if you could control the speed of the zoom for each expanding and contracting you could probably set it how you like.

Well I think it's a great idea of course and I think it would be better then having to press shift, find the corner of the map, click, and drag, every time you want the map bigger or smaller. Plus this would be better for people at lower resolutions, who can keep the map small and have a better view of the battlefield, and at any time quickly get a better view of the map with a mouse over. Of course I was thinking this all could be optional....
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

MindBrain wrote:...then having to press shift, find the corner of the map, click, and drag...
It works on the whole overhead map, no need to find the corner to resize. It seems people use the overhead map differently. When the resize feature was first added, Myth would always start it in the default size. People complained because they did not want to resize the OH map each time they loaded a map. A change was later made so that Myth remembered the scale of the OH map so you didn't have to resize after loading each map. If they complained for having to do it just once per map, it implies they don't actively resize it once its the size they want it at.
MindBrain

Post by MindBrain »

Pyro wrote:
MindBrain wrote:...then having to press shift, find the corner of the map, click, and drag...
It works on the whole overhead map, no need to find the corner to resize. It seems people use the overhead map differently. When the resize feature was first added, Myth would always start it in the default size. People complained because they did not want to resize the OH map each time they loaded a map. A change was later made so that Myth remembered the scale of the OH map so you didn't have to resize after loading each map. If they complained for having to do it just once per map, it implies they don't actively resize it once its the size they want it at.
I think it's an option for making the map more dynamic. I either like the map so small I can barely see the enemy dots, or big enough to see the formations (say 1/3 of the screen horizontal) Obviously I can't play all the time with the overhead map that big, it blocks too much on a 13" 1280x800 screen. I want to quickly zoom the map but be able to keep it small most of the time, soz I can see more of The Battlefield.

In fact it wouldn't even have to be a mouse over, if you could assign a key press, when you hold the key map zooms in, release key back to compact map. Cause really Shift, Click, Dragging and repeating is a Chore, plus it makes it even harder when the map is small to click right on it.....ehhh well this wouldn't be too difficult come on LETS GET IT DONE PEOPLE MOVE IT MOVE IT GOGOGOGO
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Historically though, myth's overhead map has always been roughly 1/10th the size of the colourmap... that is to say, it's made intentionally small. Some may disagree here, and maybe it's already an issue with the resizing thing (I simply don't use resized overheads at all, my monitor has never been that huge to require it), but making the map very large to a point where you can _see enemy formations_ I think is broaching on the line of affecting gameplay. Bungie never made any maps, or allowed mapmakers to make any maps with huge overhead maps (they'd crash). I realize we've gone against what Bungie did in the past for other things, but this is one of those things I suspect could create a divided rift of argument between the two supporting parties. For this reason, I think it should be left alone.

My 2c.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

i never imagined that you'd be able to see formations on the overhead. it makes sense logically, the map has always been so tiny the thought just never occurred to me.

of course if there IS always the option of playing blind with no enemies showing on the overhead - that would solve the 'too much information giving people with huge monitors an advantage' problem.
MindBrain

Post by MindBrain »

Hmmmmm I think ya'll are making it way too complicated. All I'm saying is an option that lets people play with the map small and out of the way (like you can already do if you want) with the ability to hold a key (or do the mouse over but the keypress would be simpler) and the map gets bigger. It doesn't change any gameplay it just an option that makes the map easier to read when you want, and out of the way when you don't.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

IMO, "easier to read" is an advantage over someone with a tiny monitor who can't take the luxury of viewing it big and easily. You can see he's approaching in a formation without having to actually view his units, and can immediately counter that formation before he arrives. He might see your units on the overhead too, except on his monitor they're a big blob like we've been used to for 10 years. That affects fairness of a match. I guess at this point we're wondering (or maybe just I am?) why shift drag, to make it bigger like everyone else has been doing for a year or more now, isn't good enough for you? I really don't think your suggestion is that different from the current implementation, except you have to add a whole other keystroke (oh no!) and click (shit, so difficult!) to use it, instead of using the convenience of a hotkey. At present, to get an advantage (bigger detail on your overhead map) you have to pay a price of those extra moments to make it bigger by click dragging. I think this at least balances it a bit more than functionality on a hotkey type basis, I reiterate, I think it would give the people with larger monitors/screen realestate better odds in general, and we should'nt be making changes like that. It's one thing to win a match over a guy cause his computer is old and he gets terrible FPS.... it's quite another to win a match over a guy using your 20" monitor and new features he can't truely take advantage of on his 13" laptop screen.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I thought the community voted and made the official decision that people who play Myth on laptops should be shunned.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Everyone has their own ideas on how they would like to play the game. As we all know shift click dragging allowed to adjust the size since more and more players were using bigger resolutions with overhead maps taking less and less overall space.

A hotkey to make it really big might be a nice idea, but there seems to be little use for the game like this. Why see the units on the overhead map when you can see them with ease on the actual map? I suppose this could be useful for looking at multiple battles all at once, but you can click on the overhead map to go to each location with ease and if need be, select the units and issue new commands.

I think you just got used to the way other games like Battlefield use the overhead map. Where you press a button and it expands over the whole screen. The thing is, it is useful in those games because other info is shown there. For example you can click on it for your next spawn location. Myth doesn't have that much information to show on its overhead map.

Not that it would be bad to add to Myth, just that if it doesn't bring much use it is less likely to be considered by the people coding stuff.