Mazz 6, Gearing Up!

Talk about anything here.
pompey

Post by pompey »

The Elfoid wrote:I also found there was too many specials - getting a team where no one messed up because they didn't know what to do has never happened to me.

I think that's precisely what makes it worthwhile. Specials are what adds the randomness to the game that the enemy loads no longer contribute. Finding a team that works well together is key, but that's what group combat is supposed to be all about ;)
The Elfoid wrote:The units just don't fight the same way as reg Myth units do, not just the moves but their style.
Heh, that's for sure. Revisiting Willow's Creek after a nice evening with Mazz, maraliths, and friends really makes me appreciate the hit points stacked on the pathfinder and striders, as low as they may seem during the map. A couple swipes from a ghast or some such and suddenly my artillery is dead. I'm so spoiled.
The Elfoid wrote:I know its more popular so I'm not saying Mazz IV > V, just that IV catered more to what I wanted better.
You shouldn't have to rescind your statement. There were definitely elements of IV that I liked, the units certainly ramped up a little for V which definitely changes the tone of the game. Not to mention that the impression of the Watcher as a Undead Master sort of bled into Dungeon Master. I can absolutely understand the distaste for the shift from the Myth universe to a broader application of the engine itself.

Fingers crossed for a return to Mazz IV + Special loads + Myth universe minibosses. As little as week left to find out (in theory).
woof •FoG•

Re: Mazz 6, Gearing Up!

Post by woof •FoG• »

pompey wrote:Will we see a teaser video like the week prior to Mazz 5's release?
There are two videos. One is a teaser, one is a scene from the game.

Neither is worth the price of admission (i.e. a big download).

If ChrisP wishes, I will link to them.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

He lies. They are worth it.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

As sort of an update, I estimate Mazzarin's Demise VI is 98% ready, which leaves a lot yet to be done considering it must have seen an average of 100 man-hours a week of work and testing for six months now. What is left to get done is some new music, web page stuff, an html manual/read-me, more testing and more tweaking. And of course, we're still awaiting a public version of Myth II 1.6. I am hoping three to four more weeks tops.

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments in this thread, but I guess I should warn people that Mazz 6 is more of a departure from "regular" Myth than even previous Mazz plugins. This has always been the goal: to create something new. If this disappoints some, well, I can't even imagine trying to make something that'd please everyone.

Many will hate it, but I'm certain a lot of people will like it too. The complexity of the units can be overwhelming. The amount of team work required is much more intense compared to previous versions. The learning curve, while not overly steep, keeps going on and on and on. Like Oro said, it needs a manual (and will have one). It's definetly a hardcore map but I think those who have the patience for it will be rewarded with a game that can be replayed endlessly without getting old. At least that's my hope.

woof, have I seen these films? :o

Pompey, where do you and your friends play? PMnet? Perhaps Jagman and I can join you guys for a game after release? It'd be kind of fun to see how people outside of our regular group react to the game. :) Oh, and I don't think you'll be disappointed as far as "specials"; many new ones have been added.
Lugas

Post by Lugas »

I've seen the teaser, but I haven't seen the scene. Where can it be found?
Click on the picture below for my Myth 2 scenario.
pompey

Post by pompey »

I would VERY much like to see the video(s) ;)

ChrisP wrote:Pompey, where do you and your friends play? PMnet? Perhaps Jagman and I can join you guys for a game after release? It'd be kind of fun to see how people outside of our regular group react to the game.
Usually we just LAN it at home. I guess it's cheating in some sense since we can communicate verbally, but we'll take all the help we can get. I bet we could get online at some point and embarrass ourselves for all to see.
ChrisP

Post by ChrisP »

LAN is definetly the most fun if you have the opportunity. As for that being cheating, half the testers use Skype for voice chat while we play. It doesn't seem to help. Maybe being close enough to kick your teammate might, I dunno. :wink:

As for embarrassing, I doubt you could top what happens in almost every single one of our test games. :roll:
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Hey!

Course, having half the testers on can be slightly detremental...especially to the other half :/

Maybe if they had headsets and wives that slept heavier...or broadband...
pompey

Post by pompey »

Death's Avatar wrote: Maybe if they had headsets and wives that slept heavier...or broadband...
I put the bathroom fan on and turn the air cleaner on too; regardless she is a fairly sound sleeper :lol:
As to broadband, it's hard to sneak your way around that one, it may just be worth the investment. :)
woof •FoG•

Tastes like chicken.

Post by woof •FoG• »

ChrisP wrote:Many will hate it, but I'm certain a lot of people will like it too. The complexity of the units can be overwhelming. The amount of team work required is much more intense compared to previous versions. The learning curve, while not overly steep, keeps going on and on and on. Like Oro said, it needs a manual (and will have one). It's definetly a hardcore map but I think those who have the patience for it will be rewarded with a game that can be replayed endlessly without getting old. At least that's my hope.
Extremely challenging. Nerve racking. I had to check into a room lined with rubber chickens for two months of deMazzTox, but I will be back soon.

Make sure to play with friends, because by the 10th game, your friends will have turned on you as if you are the weakest member of the Donner Party. If you play with folks who arent your friends, they will attempt to feast on your flesh after just 40 mins.
ChrisP wrote: woof, have I seen these films? :o
Have you seen that old movie of the Hindenburg? Its sorta looks like that, only Turner Classic Colorizedâ„¢

Mazz 6 Teaser ( And I do mean teaser.) 38 MB Quicktime Required
http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20Us ... Mazz_6.mov

Mazz 6 reduces l337s to n00bs, once again. 38 MB QT required:

http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20Us ... _large.mov
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

*gnaws on woof's leg*
:) Da Cid (: McCl

Post by :) Da Cid (: McCl »

Frogblast the Beh-Core!

-TGP-
Having fun with poser horses and pasted-on Warrior torsos since 1990!™
WazzaMouse
Site Admin

Post by WazzaMouse »

ChrisP wrote:As for that being cheating, half the testers use Skype for voice chat while we play. It doesn't seem to help. Maybe being close enough to kick your teammate might, I dunno.
well, whenever we get more than half on vent it will work out more since we wont be saying "hey (insert name) get away from that ____" and wonder why they arent moving ;)
pompey

Re: Tastes like chicken.

Post by pompey »

woof •FoG• wrote:
Mazz 6 Teaser ( And I do mean teaser.) 38 MB Quicktime Required
http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20Us ... Mazz_6.mov

Mazz 6 reduces l337s to n00bs, once again. 38 MB QT required:

http://hl.udogs.net/files/Uploads/%20Us ... _large.mov

I can't imagine why you would have originally said these weren't worth the large download. Tainted love indeed. Priceless!

So, besides endless enjoyment from witnessing others' suffering (only because I've shared that experience), I get out of this...:

The Watcher got bitchier.
Pathfinder, FG, pally, Mazz (the requisite guest of honor) and the 'mancer wonder twins are back.
Looks like the berserk on-screen is either a new hero unit or they all just got a warpaint touch-up (or most likely, that it's just a team color that makes them look different)
Another new unit for sure looks like an archer hero, a welcome addition to the party.

Well well, I am definitely teased. Thanks for the solid work, as always, woof.
woof •FoG•

Post by woof •FoG• »

Death's Avatar wrote:*gnaws on woof's leg*
That tickles. Put yer teeth back in.