community shrinkge

Talk about anything here.
oogaBooga

Post by oogaBooga »

For the most part, the community sucks for a bunch of people whove been playing it for 10 years (as someone said before), but there is still a big skill gap between noobs and regs - could be a reason new people get turned away from myth (not to mention you have to actually use your brain in myth, a big obstacle for some people nowadays). :)

Sometimes it's good to just let a nub win so he feels good about himself and doesnt stop playing altogether.

-ooga
pompey

Post by pompey »

I'm not sure the community sucks any more than any community that's been coagulating for a good long while. There are a lot fewer obviously young, forum-spammers like you see elsewhere and a lot more "I need my Ben Gay, where are my pills" irascibility from the elderly contributors. Like they say though, familiarity breeds contempt. With a small core of hardcore players who aren't going anywhere (permanently) and don't see a lot of new blood, feelings will get bruised. And sometimes peaches.
oogaBooga wrote: Sometimes it's good to just let a nub win so he feels good about himself and doesnt stop playing altogether.
And we appreciate that.
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

Plague Bearer wrote:Jag's made a recent reappearance, as has Road.
I have the honor of having hosted Jagman's first game on pmnet. I always try to encourage new players and he's a success story in which I'm glad to have had a part. 'Course, that was like 3 years ago now... Omg, I just found a post where he said it was in 2001. Can that much time really have bone by?

I had a point here, but I forgot it.

Oh! it was to say in reply to Plague Bearer that Jagman has made a recent disappearance, actually. He played with OoH two Saturdays ago and said he'd be off for a couple months or so with no computer. Will be able to check forums periodically, he thought.
Site Admin

Post by Death's Avatar »

Frumius wrote:
Plague Bearer wrote:Jag's made a recent reappearance, as has Road.
I have the honor of having hosted Jagman's first game on <a href="http://www.mariusnet.com">pmnet</a>.
I think you can actually say the same for me too. I don't know if it was an honor to be my first host though...

-DA
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

Whoa, well that is totally awesome, DA, and yes it's an honor :)

I gotta get back on there.
Last edited by Frumius on Fri May 16, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baak

Post by Baak »

oogaBooga wrote:Sometimes it's good to just let a nub win so he feels good about himself and doesnt stop playing altogether.
I've been letting Frum win now and then over the years for precisely that reason.

;)

P.S. 999 registered users on this forum when I posted. Funk.
Arthim

Post by Arthim »

as of the time this is posted, there are 50+ people all on marius at once, good times
for an mmo, click this link:
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

oogaBooga wrote:Sometimes it's good to just let a nub win so he feels good about himself and doesnt stop playing altogether.

-ooga
I just want to know when it's ok to stop letting YOU win.

I am not sure about needing to let a nub win, but I I know I am much less likely to ruthlessly shred a nub to keep them from reaching the endgame and much MORE likely to cut him/her some slack to let the nub get to the endgame. I think getting totally annihilated early in a game with no shot of winning at all is worse motivational wise then losing but feeling "IF I had just done that one thing differently, I would have had a shot at winning" is.

Similar to solo maps. The ones I continue to come back for are the ones that even if incredibly hard give me at least the illusion that I could have won.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

Arthim wrote:as of the time this is posted, there are 50+ people all on marius at once, good times
hehe something like 3 years ago pm.net used to have 130- up to 150 sometimes.
I hope to see 100+ during mwc2008.
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
Frumius

Post by Frumius »

Tireces wrote:like 3 years ago pm.net used to have 130- up to 150 sometimes.
I hope to see 100+ during mwc2008.
Well, hey, we could go back farther and mention bungie.net, with twice as many rooms and all of 'em full.

And then I guess you could go back really far, to just a couple of cavemen sitting in their cave with no idea of Myth. But that would be ridiculous.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Frumius wrote:And then I guess you could go back really far, to just a couple of cavemen sitting in their cave with no idea of Myth. But that would be ridiculous.
That IS ridiculous Frum, even back then I am sure at least ONE of the cavemen was imagining the day when his descendants could play Myth.
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.